Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default End of an era......

I said goodbye to my F3-T last week as it was simply costing too much to keep in the garage whether or not I used it.
    In the UK a vehicle must have current road tax and insurance to even be kept in a private garage and the depreciation on Spyders is huge.
    This equates to approx. $30 a week and is money I cannot afford to squander. The vehicle insurance over here is extortionate,
    despite this being my third Spyder I was paying around $750 pa! I can insure a Harley Davidson Sportster for around $150.
    So the end of a highly enjoyable era.
    I asked a fairly high price and sold the Spyder in a couple of weeks. The money I received bought me three things.
    Thing One: A Peugeot RCZ, a nice little coupe.
    Thing Two: An immaculate, low mileage Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Low. The total running costs for these two is rather less
    than half what the Spyder cost.
    Thing Three: Enough cash left over to fully run and service both for many years. (As long as I avoid Main Dealers!!)

You've all seen a Harley before but many of you will not have seen the Peugeot RCZ Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJpAFKGYVDs

Mine is the diesel engined model which puts out 165bhp and will reach 140mph but gives an overall 50mpg (US Gallon). Oh! It's metallic black.

The Harley is a bit of a bone of contention as when I bought it I wasn't sure that I would be able to manage it successfully. In fact I've taken it out
    a couple of times and because it is the "Low" model it's not bad. (but I get quite physically tired riding it....hoping that will diminish with saddle time.)

Spyder Garage

Very sorry to hear you are selling the Spyder.

The outcome sounds like a WIN WIN to me. Two for one...and some very cool machines to top that off. What's not to like?

Please keep in touch. You may not have a but you are still considered a friend of the site.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

that's too bad, especially since you can ride almost 12 months a year. There's nothing like a Spyder. But of course sometimes we have to face reality. In Canada I am paying 1500$ per year for a 7-month season of riding. That would be about $1100 USD. I like the look of you RCZ.

Good look with your new toys.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

sorry to hear , you gonna hang around here ? Hlping the other spyders that appear across the pond glad I got to meet you at Spyderfest when I did hopefully thing will change & you can enjoy it again & the Harley as a spare. Alternating provides good wind therapy, if one is in shop or whatever.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sadly, I only have a pension to live on and as I'm 71 next birthday it's unlikely that my situation is going to get better.
    It was great while it lasted and I did enjoy being a "rock star" for a few years! However the RCZ is also getting a lot of passer-by
    attention as they are also rare to see here!

Spyder Garage

Default Sad News....

Sorry to hear the spyder has met with the high cost of living and gone on to another. RCZ is really quite nice. Not fond of Harleys so will not comment but it is really great that you are able to get all those things from the sale of the spyder....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OJ, sad to hear about your Spyder and your situation ….. However that RCZ is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee et …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! I had no idea operating a Spyder in the UK was so expensive. I wonder why the Spyder insurance is so much more than a Harley. Maybe because of the comparative value?

But that Puegot is really something. I just hope you never have to replace that back window!

And extra cash is always handy.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope you got a great deal on it, looks like the factory screwed up and put the steering wheel on the wrong side....
    HAHAHAHA
    You can still visit here..
    Dave

Spyder Garage

It was nice meeting you at Spyderfest. Want to wish you all the best in the future. Enjoy the new ride. Drop in here once in awhile. Take care !

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow! Looks to me like you got a good win. I like my spyder, but considering what you were able to get for it in trade, you definitely came out ahead. Be safe.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=OJ UK;1429167]I said goodbye to my F3-T last week as it was simply costing too much to keep in the garage whether or not I used it.
    In the UK a vehicle must have current road tax and insurance to even be kept in a private garage and the depreciation on Spyders is huge.
    This equates to approx. $30 a week and is money I cannot afford to squander. The vehicle insurance over here is extortionate,
    despite this being my third Spyder I was paying around $750 pa! I can insure a Harley Davidson Sportster for around $150.
    So the end of a highly enjoyable era.
    I asked a fairly high price and sold the Spyder in a couple of weeks. The money I received bought me three things.
    Thing One: A Peugeot RCZ, a nice little coupe.
    Thing Two: An immaculate, low mileage Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Low. The total running costs for these two is rather less
    than half what the Spyder cost.
    Thing Three: Enough cash left over to fully run and service both for many years. (As long as I avoid Main Dealers!!)

You've all seen a Harley before but many of you will not have seen the Peugeot RCZ Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJpAFKGYVDs

Mine is the diesel engined model which puts out 165bhp and will reach 140mph but gives an overall 50mpg (US Gallon). Oh! It's metallic black.

The Harley is a bit of a bone of contention as when I bought it I wasn't sure that I would be able to manage it successfully. In fact I've taken it out
    a couple of times and because it is the "Low" model it's not bad. (but I get quite physically tired riding it....hoping that will diminish with saddle time.)

Hi OJ UK, when I watched your you tube clip of RCZ, I recognised Mat Watson. I was on a TV programme with him called "I Want That Car" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8MnK-dl8Y I hope you enjoy your new wheels and wish you all the best.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

It was always fun talking to you at Spyderfest and reading you posts. Enjoy your new rides!
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Darren111;1429380]
    Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    Hi OJ UK, when I watched your you tube clip of RCZ, I recognised Mat Watson. I was on a TV programme with him called "I Want That Car" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8MnK-dl8Y I hope you enjoy your new wheels and wish you all the best.
    I looked at a couple of Audi TTs and wasn't especially impressed

The RCZ is more unique, and a nicer car. It cost me £6500 for the 2011 with 36000 miles on it. Ford Fiesta money!
    I see you have a shiny new Spyder......do try not to break this one!! Take care....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default End of an era....

[QUOTE=PrairieSpyder;1429321]Wow! I had no idea operating a Spyder in the UK was so expensive. I wonder why the Spyder insurance is so much more than a Harley. Maybe because of the comparative value? Not really, Patti. There comparatively few Spyders in the UK and there is only one Insurance underwriter that will give cover. That company, based in Gibraltar, has a monopoly on insurance for the Spyder and can charge what they want.

But that Pugeot is really something. I just hope you never have to replace that back window! That rear screen is over £3000! I'll try to keep it in one piece!!
    And extra cash is always handy [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR="#FF0000"] Always! [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR="#FF0000"][QUOTE]