Thread: Today's Ride

Spyder Garage

Default Today's Ride

Well, since the bike is now purring like a kitten, I decided to get some seat time today. The wife's under the weather, so it was a solo ride.

I rode 67 miles today, 0-65 mph. I was on city streets, and rural roads (50-50). Some of the rural roads were great twistees!

The good:

The Ryker handles beautifully. Checking her over last night, I found 30psi in the front tires, and 28 psi in the rear. I set the front ones to 25psi. It holds the road nicely. It handles curves better than I do, but I'm sure my confidence will improve as I ride. The acceleration is wicked!
    I installed the foam grips (https://www.*********.com/can-am-ryk...rips?vehicle=4), and they make gripping the handlebars much easier for me. Seems to feel good with/without gloves.
    The factory adjustable windshield does a good job of kicking most of the wind over my helmet (I'm 5'10"). I found if I raise it to the full up position, it stops ALL buffeting to my head. I can't say what it will be like at Interstate speeds.
    Braking felt good, and I'm still amazed at the braking provided by the CVT when you let off the throttle.
    Night riding is fun. The stock headlamps do a good job, but I think LED's are in my future.

The bad:

I dislike the clunk on takeoff. I find if I lightly apply the throttle, I can eliminate most of the clunk. No clunk when at speed!
    The rear suspension makes you feel every bump/object on the road. Particularly annoying are the blue reflectors in the roadway that denote the locations of fire hydrants. One two wheels you are normally left/right of them. With 3 wheels I seem to hit everyone of them, and I can feel it in the seat and handlebars!
    The wind seems to move me around, but not the bike. I seem to wobble back and forth in the seat, but the bike is steady in the middle of the lane. I don't notice this on my Boulevard when riding.
    The fuel gauge is interesting. It stays at full, then when the first bar goes blank, it drops like a rock! It went from full to 1/2 in less than 10 miles. On fill up it took 3.8 gallons.
    The horn! Need I say more???

I am completely satisfied with my purchase, and would do it again. I need more seat time as this is my first 3 wheeler.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up. It does sound like to you had a great ride. More miles will get you used to any of the nuances that you are finding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Thanks for the review. Looks like it was a great ryde and the "bad" parts seem very minor and inexpensive...like a new horn and some more ryding time to get used to things. Check back after 500 miles....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I completely agree with you about the gas gauge, mine stays on full for close to 75 miles then drops like a stone. I'm disappointed in the fuel mileage, only about 30mpg and last time I filled it, it took 5.23 gal. That's a lot for a 5.28 tank!! That limits range to under 150 miles between fill-ups. I hope that improves as I get more miles on it. Don't get me wrong,I love my Ryker 900 but would like more range.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer View Post
    I dislike the clunk on takeoff. I find if I lightly apply the throttle, I can eliminate most of the clunk.
    I find myself playing a game accelerating from stop to see if I can move without the clunk. Lately, I've been holding the brake until I apply a little throttle and then releasing and going. Seems to help but who knows.

As to the wind, it was really windy here on Saturday, and I felt I was about to be blown off the bike several times, especially going 60+ MPH. Still fun as ever though!
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

It also took me a little time to get used to the bumps and sways, but it is quite stable at highway speeds. I have to use 101 hwy any which way I go and that means 55 mpg. But by know I am quite comfortable with it. I kind of liken it to getting "sea legs" Can am did a great job with the Ryker, I haven't had so much fun in years.