Spyder Garage

Unhappy Trouble with Cardo Packtalk and BRP Connect

I just took delivery of a 2019 F3 L. BRP Connect has me baffled as it relates to use with my Cardo Packtalk. I successfully paired the helmet to the Spyder but can't get music to come over the speakers in my helmet. My phone is paired to BRP Connect and I'm plugging into the USB cable in the glove box. I see the music that's stored on my phone on the app screen of BRP Connect and it shows a song playing. I can adjust the volume up and down with the joystick. I know the pairing between the helmet and Cardo is good because I can take phone calls and hear them in my helmet. When the helmet is paired a helmet icon shows on my display.
    What am I doing wrong?

Spyder Garage

Just a thought, did you make sure the media volume on your phone is all the way turned up? It should not matter, but saw an earlier post on the board that it did for a navigation app.

Also, you mention turning volume up and down on joiystick. Does that mean you hear music on speakers? If so, there is a setting in BRPConnect to send sound over speakers OR Bluetooth, You may need to switch that setting.

Just ideas.....
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Ahhh.
    I'll check for that.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, I recently got a 2018 RT Limited and a new helmet with the Cardo Freecom4+. I don't even mess with the BRP Connect. It's not stable at all yet. It appears to have something to do with using the frunk USB port.

When I was looking to purchase my Spyder, the dealer couldn't even get my iPhone all by itself to "stay connected" when it was plugged into the frunk USB with the BRP connected . This was when we were trying to use only the bike's speakers...not even with a helmet sync'd to the BRP. The Bluetooth/BRP/phone interface just isn't stable. If we turned OFF the BRP, and just used my Bluetooth to connect the phone, it seemed to work fine, but the music would sometimes STILL quit playing. When I tried plugging the iPhone into the rear top case USB ports, and just used Bluetooth (no BRP activated), everything worked fine.

It's the same now when using my Cardo Freecom4+. I quit messing around trying to get it to work with the iPhone plugged into the frunk USB with BRP activated. It just doesn't stay connected consistantly.

So I just plug my iPhone into one of the rear top case USB's, Bluetooth the Cardo on my helmet to the iPhone in the top box, then use the manual controls on the Cardo unit on my helmet. It's not difficult once you remember which buttons to push for what you want to do. There are only 3 buttons and a scrollable wheel, and I can switch between music (volume, forward and backward tracks, and even FM stations because the Freecom4+ has a built-in FM receiver), use my iPhone as a phone (make/answer calls, use my contacts list, etc), and can even get turn by turn GPS directions if I want (I don't want to be able to look at a scrolling map while riding anyhow...it takes my eyes off the road where I SHOULD be looking in the first place). And it can all be controlled by voice from my helmet too if I want to do it that way.

Can-Am needs to do something about the BRP Connect. Either a software or firmware update that will WORK. But I've searched everywhere on the Internet and there does not seem to be a reliable solution yet to the BRP with the frunk USB port fiasco. It just doesn't work the way the instructions tell you to do it. That's my own personal experience with it so far. If anyone here has "The Solution" I'd be all ears to hear it. But that isn't something I expect based on my exhaustive search of the Internet about the current BRP Connect performance.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

FalconAF, What version og software are you running. If earlier than 13.2, BRPConnect is completely ubnstable. When I had mine updated to 13.2, it now seems stable, but FM over Bluetooth still does not work. I ubderstand 20.8 they fixed that, so need to get mine updated again. Did hear 20.8 Bluetooth sound quality for fm is still marginal.

It sounds like they are nearing a Beta 1.0 version of BRP Connect. Maybe one day. Share your thoughts on direct to the phone!

For the OP, do check the version of BRP Connect as well, as above version issues could contribute to issues.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

@McClendons,

OK, I just saw the other post about the 20.8 software update. You mention a 13.2 version. Are those two different software apps? What do I need to do to get the "most current" versions of "everything"? Go to dealer and have them update it all (using their "special cables" mentioned in the 20.8 update post?). It's quite possible my "new" 2018 RT Limited was never updated prior to me getting it 2 weeks ago from the dealer.

I'm still only 2 weeks old when it comes to my new Spyder. Lots to learn yet.

PS - How can I check the version number of the software I have? I took a quick look through the User's Guide and didn't see how to display it.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured out how to find it by looking at a picture someone posted this morning in another thread. It says I already have software 13.2 version. So I should go to my dealer and have them update it to 20.8 now?
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I picked up my brand new 2018 RTL Thursday and they had hooked it up during set up and it said no new updates. It had the 13.2 on it. I told them I would like to have the 20.8 before I leave with it. It is only for the 2019 they said and it would be a half hour labor if I wanted the update. I looked at them and they said they wanted to hook it up and check and maybe I would accidently get the update, wink wink. I have the 20.8

Spyder Garage

FalconAF: I am surprised you have that much of a stability issue with 13.2 My Oct 2018 came with version 10.6, and did exactly as you said, unusable. After an update to 13.2, I was able to ride for hours with no issue. It might be worth trying a different USB cable. I routed a 5 foot one to my RT glovebox, so bought a "high cost" one.....$10. It works better than a 6 inch one I originally tried. 20.8 may be better, it should be, but i've not switched over to it yet. Out of interest, what phone are you running? I upgraded to a samsung 10 at the same time I did the update to 13.2, so have the newest android, and have no issues. I've hear Apple works better with the BRP than Androids......Can Am must be Apple fans.

JeffandLori: Glad you were able to get 20.8. I personally believe that Can Am is being dishonest in that they have a new version of software, and are trying to charge for it. Telling is the fact that 13,2 does not work IAW 2014 and before standards, for example no FM and/or Aux over bluetooth, yet they are hesitant to fix it. the BRPConnect is bad enough we need a class action suit against them == my 2013 BMW GTL 1600 had better blue tooth implementation and it SUCKED. I am mad at myself, I had a chance to get a left over 2017 in a better color (blue) for $1K less, and I thought the BRPConnect was the way to go. Really feel ripped off. I plan to go in and get the 20.8 update, and am sure I will get charged. If I do, will recommend others dealers and/or products than can am.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey