Spyder Garage

Default Droptail trailer

Just purchase a Droptail trailer for our 2015 RT Spyder any advice would be helpful this is my first time using a trailer.
    BAJARON SWAY BAR PLUS LINKS
    BAJARON SPACER
    ULTIMATE SEAT WITH GAS DOOR
    JT SHELF BAR
    SPYDERFLAP
    BUMPSKID
    XM RADIO
    POWER OUTLET
    LAMONSTER CUP HOLDER
    2015 RT LIMITED
    PIN STRIPPING BY MACK THE KNIFE
    RIVCO FLAG HOLDER
    SENA SM10 BLUE TOOTH
    LAMONSTER FBB HIGHWAY BRACKET WING BOARD BLK
    BPR TRAILER HITCH
    KRADELLOCK FOR THE GPS
    BIG BRAKE PEDAL BY TRICLED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J48cruiser View Post
    Just purchase a Droptail trailer for our 2015 RT Spyder any advice would be helpful this is my first time using a trailer.
    I discovered a few years back that using a short Ratchet Strap over the rear tire ( placing it in-line with the TREAD ) was the easiest, quickest, most secure, and Least damaging way to secure the Spyder or any vehicle to a trailer. The major Vehicle auction houses, like Haggerty, Mechum etc. ( they haul EXPENSIVE cars etc.) use this method in their Trac. Trls. to secure the veh's they haul. Ever see a U-Haul car dolly ??? … this is how the renters secure the front wheels to the Dolly ….. Other members here have used my advice and done the same to their trailers ….. Use advanced search and you will find PICS of their set-ups...…Maybe someone will post a link to theirs …...…. Mike

Spyder Garage

Eliminate some of the ramp transition angle by: 1. parking the trailer tires in "low spots" when possible. 2. With the trailer hooked up, crank up the front with the tongue jack. 3. place a piece of 2x6 under the end of the ramp. Use the method that Mike mentioned to tie it down. I use 3 straps for ours. Probably overkill, but it is easy peace of mind. One strap over each tire, in the tread/travel direction. Yeah, you'll have to buy some tie down loops and hardware, but they're cheap. Place a loop in front of and behind each tire and you're good to go. Loading, and securing have been the only issues. Loading and unloading people run into "bottoming out" where the ramp attaches to the bed. Cured by using one or more of the above choices
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Eliminate some of the ramp transition angle by: 1. parking the trailer tires in "low spots" when possible. 2. With the trailer hooked up, crank up the front with the tongue jack. 3. place a piece of 2x6 under the end of the ramp. Use the method that Mike mentioned to tie it down. I use 3 straps for ours. Probably overkill, but it is easy peace of mind. One strap over each tire, in the tread/travel direction. Yeah, you'll have to buy some tie down loops and hardware, but they're cheap. Place a loop in front of and behind each tire and you're good to go. Loading, and securing have been the only issues. Loading and unloading people run into "bottoming out" where the ramp attaches to the bed. Cured by using one or more of the above choices
    I believe you're thinking of another kind of trailer. Jacking and 2x6s aren't necessary for an RT on a Drop-Tail trailer. My RT goes right up there with nothing but the trailer itself and no rubbing or binding at all, about 1" or 1-1/2" clearance on the nose. That was what convinced me to buy the trailer in the first place. Agree with the rest of your advice.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

I also have a drop tail trailer and I ride it nose first (don't want to lose the windshield), then run straps with covers through both front wheels, attaching to the tongue loop and one of the three loops on the front edge. I also run a strap and cover through the rear wheel attaching to the loops under the rear deck about a foot each side of the centerline. Don't go cheap on the straps and check them often.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Good advice from all. Just one caution. As you run straps through wheels, make sure they do not come into contact with sharp wheel edges. That can cut the straps faster than you'd believe when everything is bouncing around behind you. (Ask me how I know)..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

This is the kit I got for my trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

You will have to purchase (2) 5' pieces of E Track (available on Amazon as well).

Spyder Garage

Default Looking to delete this post

Sorry this wasn't meant to be posted. I don't know how to delete it.
    Thank you
    Ray
    Last edited by Daddyray; 04-17-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: it was an accidental post
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts