Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about a Ryker

I have health problems which prevent me from riding my motorcycle, and I have looked around and think the Ryker 600 is what I am looking for.
    Just thought I'd drop in and see what I can find out from you who own one. Just general information, and some specific questions too.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Others will chime in who have bought a Ryker.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello CB I see your finding your way around ok. Have you got a chance to read some of the post in forum areas about the Ryker?
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If you haven't poked around, here's a thread I started when I picked mine up. I got the 900, but pretty much sums up my thoughts on the machine.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-amp-Ramblings
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag

Spyder Garage

I don’t own one but test rode one this morning. Initial thought upon seeing it was wow, its way too small for me. But I took it for a test ride and discovered:

-I liked it, quite a bit. The short seat height made it easy for me to get on and off, which I struggle with greatly on my Harley touring. (Bad knees, bad back, limited flexibility). In fact I barely, and I mean barely got on and off an RT limited after 3-4 minutes of contortions.
    -The 998cc motor was pretty torquey and had strong acceleration even with me at 400#. I was concerned it would not have adequate power but it does for the kind of cruising I do.
    - On a day like today, low 40’s, either a windscreen or full face helmet is needed for comfort. My half helmet and lack of gloves left me frozen. Guess I’ve been riding behind some type of cafe or larger fairing since 1981 and I’m now spoiled. But the wind felt good otherwise.
    - Coming from bikes and most recently some 20” floorboards, I expected my legs to cramp. However the feet forward riding position was very comfortable and I got used to the low overall height after just a couple of miles. I do wonder how visible one is to other drivers so would probably add additional lighting and or modulators.
    - Strange not having a hand brake but the trike stops very well.
    - I still felt awkward at the end of my test ride when cornering, but that may be due to only riding two wheels in the past, or the suspension, though it didn’t feel loose to me. Cornering was the only time I felt top heavy so I would probably add sway bar and maybe two up spring if I purchase.
    -Steering took some effort but wasn’t difficult. I did test ride a limited which had power steering and a more plush ride but that bike also had an air shock and plush seat. I do believe I would replace the seat on Ryker, I’m wider in the bottom than most.
    - Overall I liked the Ryker enough to want to ride it again. The dealer didn’t have a base model F3 uncrated but is getting one together in the next 1-2 days. I plan to ride the F3 and Ryker immediately following so I can make a better decision. The F3 will have a larger engine so I’m interested to see how that one rolls on.
    - Oh, and that limited I did ride was a 2010. Reminded me of a mini Gold Wing. Power everything from front trunk release to pushbutton parking brake and heated passenger grips, etc. But while the ride was very plush, there was very limited space for my feet and I think it would be cramped overall without floorboards. I also had a hard time finding the brake pedal though I know pedal extensions are available. So most likely I’ll purchase a Ryker or F3.

Spyder Garage

I think Ryker 2112 summed it up pretty good, top end on the 600 so far has been close to 90 MPH

Windshield is nice to have

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thank you all who answered my post. Very informative.
    When the weather warms up a bit I'm riding to the nearest Ryker dealer to check them out, and to get a trade in quote for my Honda VTX 1300.
    Bob