Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3T Rear air suspension

Many of you with this model with air suspension may not be aware that riding solo or two up that this suspension leaks down about every 10-14 days. Thus unless you are really anal about your suspension, you are riding around just on the spring itself.

This suspension should have on average at least 40 psi depending on solo or two up...
    Check yours now, and see what you have??

What do do? If by chance you are one of the astute riders that already have a FOBO Trike set up on your bike you are half way there. Simply add a screw on T-valve to the air fill located under the passenger seat...some of you may not even know that there is one?😳
    Picture attached to know what this setup looks like. Also for those of you already using FOBO Trike and maybe pulling a trailer behind you, you can get a FOBO Bike set to add 2 sensors to the trailer wheels and now you got that set of tires being monitored on your smart device.
    Where do you get this item? Ask Jacob at Lamonster Garage to get it for you...
    Buckskin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Good post Buckskin. There have been a number of posts on here from people who did not even realise they had an adjustable rear air bag . You actually wonder how many salesmen and service techs know about them. When my F3-L was handed over, I checked the bag and it was set to zero, even after asking the salesman to get it set to 60psi as I am 300lbs. Mind you, I have the bag set at zero now that I have a wonderful Wilbers rear shock absorbing most of the potholes and road irregularities. The bag really is more of a seat height adjustment than anything else.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Critical to set as you can get bounced easily if wrong. I check mine when I check tire pressures. Air bag seems to hold pressure quite well for me.

Spyder Garage

I have a 17 F3T and was really frustrated with the air suspension leaking down every few days.
    So when I had my rear apart to change out the tire I pulled the air suspension bag and the associated tubing out. Out of curiosity I inflated the bag up and submerged it in a tank of water. No bubbles coming from the bag assembly, but there was a steady stream of bubbles was coming from a fitting on the fill line. I took the fittings apart and reassembled them with teflon tape. I refilled the bag with 50psi and submerged it again. No bubbles. It has been over 6 months and I have not had to add any more air to my air suspension.
    You can add the FOBO to your ride, but I would recommend fixing the air leaks first.
    2017 F3-T SM6, Intense Pearl Red, SpyderPops Run/Turn/Brake, Baja Ron Sway Bar and Skid Plate, 21 Inch Tinted F4, Signature Light, Tricled LED Headlights Yokohoma S-Drive, Ultimate Tall Boy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an FOBO on my Schrader valve for the airbag. I'm 155/160 lbs. and I ride at 26/32 PSI. The airbag is an automatic ride height system. It is controlled by a sensor on the swing arm and a sensor under the passenger seat. Maintaining PSI varies from spyder to spyder. Some leak down overnight and some hold PSI for weeks or more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I have an FOBO on my Schrader valve for the airbag. I'm 155/160 lbs. and I ride at 26/32 PSI. The airbag is an automatic ride height system. It is controlled by a sensor on the swing arm and a sensor under the passenger seat. Maintaining PSI varies from spyder to spyder. Some leak down overnight and some hold PSI for weeks or more.
    Not on the F3T it’s not, 2dogs. It’s completely manual.......but the same “leak” rules apply

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Not on the F3T it’s not, 2dogs. It’s completely manual.......but the same “leak” rules apply

Pete
    Yep, you are correct. BRP has eliminated some of their headaches by not installing the (#^*&) system on some models. I forgot to mention that BUD's can be used to adjust and set the preload of the system for the weight of the driver. When it works correctly, it is a sweet system.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

This also pertains to the base model RT.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Now that is interesting....
    You say when you had the rear wheel out during a tire change, but it begs the question, with wheel out, is it pretty obvious how to access and remove the bag and air line etc? Next, obviously the fitting right under the seat can be accessed and that is one fitting but what about the other end at the bag? Which one was the leaker? If I took a shot at just pulling the top fitting out of the mount and pull out the line and disassembled the fitting and put some teflon tap or maybe some teflon sealant like on gas/air fitting maybe could seal the culprit off there? From there once I get that leak fixed, the FOBO sensor is an indicator of the air setting for solo and two up riding to make the proper adjustments.
    As it is now, that alert is squawking at me when I get 50 ft of the bike. Now it will hold pressure, nice......

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDoc View Post
    I have a 17 F3T and was really frustrated with the air suspension leaking down every few days.
    So when I had my rear apart to change out the tire I pulled the air suspension bag and the associated tubing out. Out of curiosity I inflated the bag up and submerged it in a tank of water. No bubbles coming from the bag assembly, but there was a steady stream of bubbles was coming from a fitting on the fill line. I took the fittings apart and reassembled them with teflon tape. I refilled the bag with 50psi and submerged it again. No bubbles. It has been over 6 months and I have not had to add any more air to my air suspension.
    You can add the FOBO to your ride, but I would recommend fixing the air leaks first.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

That was a mouthful there Pete. As noted below, I'm going to get that fitting at the top out for starters and see if that fixes the leak issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Good post Buckskin. There have been a number of posts on here from people who did not even realise they had an adjustable rear air bag . You actually wonder how many salesmen and service techs know about them. When my F3-L was handed over, I checked the bag and it was set to zero, even after asking the salesman to get it set to 60psi as I am 300lbs. Mind you, I have the bag se
    t at zero now that I have a wonderful Wilbers rear shock absorbing most of the potholes and road irregularities. The bag really is more of a seat height adjustment than anything else.

Pete
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Buckskin, there were a couple of threaded fittings in the manual fill air bag system on my 17 F3T (other models may be different). It was the top fitting or the first one after the schader valve assembly that had the gross air leak on my bike. That said the other fittings are assembled the same way and I see no reason that they couldn't leak also. Having the whole thing off the bike made it easy to diagnose and fix the leak(s) and then check to see that the fix worked.
    You can do the top fitting and hopefully that helps. I wish you good luck, but I'd recommend next time you change the rear tire to pull it out and rebuild it the way BRP should have assembled it to start with.
    2017 F3-T SM6, Intense Pearl Red, SpyderPops Run/Turn/Brake, Baja Ron Sway Bar and Skid Plate, 21 Inch Tinted F4, Signature Light, Tricled LED Headlights Yokohoma S-Drive, Ultimate Tall Boy.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Mine does not leak down. The Schrader is tight and you can tighten it with the pictured tool/cap. Too, the OEM cap has a rather generous o-ring which should keep the air in it even if your Schrader is not tight. Bad fittings on the bag should be a warranty item.

Image1.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Hey Chet, looks like you made the change over to the CanAm from the Wings with me. I got the dill valve tool to check that to make sure that is not part of the problem. When I screw on that T-valve it seals up on the bike stem but adds two more dill valves. I'm pretty sure I'm sealed off on the side stem with the FOBO sensor and I do have a cap with a little tiny O ring. I think by pulling out that circlip on the bike stem I can pull it out and will use some teflon sealant for gas pipe fitting instead of the tape. If that does not seal it off, then the next time the rear wheel is off will pull the whole thing out and seal it up and then dip it into the pool for the leak test.
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks to this thread, I checked the pressure on my 17 F3-T. Does not hold air. Should this not be a warranty item? Anyone try this approach? I would imagine my dealer (not Platinum, Gold or Silver but I think maybe Lead) is going to give me a bunch of pushback on this.

Just wanted to get others thoughts.

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I checked the pressure on my 17 F3-T. Does not hold air. Should this not be a warranty item? Anyone try this approach? I would imagine my dealer (not Platinum, Gold or Silver but I think maybe Lead) is going to give me a bunch of pushback on this.

Just wanted to get others thoughts.

Thanks!
    You may not want to go to that dealer. BRP and some (not all) service managers are skilled in deflecting and redirecting. Service managers are supposed to be an advocate for you and act as a go between, between you and your warrantee carrier. Even if you have to travel some distance to find a qualified/competent service department, do it. You'll not regret it particularly if you've ever had experiences with a substandard service department.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3-L and was under the impression that the rear airbag was automatic and did not need any manual inflating/deflating. Is this different from the F3-T ??

thanks johnv
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

On the F3-T the inflation is manual via a Schrader valve.

By the way I just talked to my dealer and they are quoting a month to fix this.

Spyder Garage

Hey guys not go off track but, I have a 2018 Limited and I don't see a Schrader valve. There is some type of rocker spring under a plastic cover that appears to be weight sensitive. Have they done away with the Schrader valve on the Limited. No reference to one in the manual.
    Thanks

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

The Limited (F3-L) has an automatic rear air bag system. The F3-T air bag is a manual system thus the need for the schrader valve.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Hey Chet, looks like you made the change over to the CanAm from the Wings with me. I got the dill valve tool to check that to make sure that is not part of the problem. When I screw on that T-valve it seals up on the bike stem but adds two more dill valves. I'm pretty sure I'm sealed off on the side stem with the FOBO sensor and I do have a cap with a little tiny O ring. I think by pulling out that circlip on the bike stem I can pull it out and will use some teflon sealant for gas pipe fitting instead of the tape. If that does not seal it off, then the next time the rear wheel is off will pull the whole thing out and seal it up and then dip it into the pool for the leak test.
    Yup. I could not hold up the wing with my knees going bad. I'mm at a loss figuring out what a dill valve is. Is it pickles? Oops. I found it. Never heard it called a dill valve before ( for 70 years)

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    You may not want to go to that dealer. BRP and some (not all) service managers are skilled in deflecting and redirecting. Service managers are supposed to be an advocate for you and act as a go between, between you and your warrantee carrier. Even if you have to travel some distance to find a qualified/competent service department, do it. You'll not regret it particularly if you've ever had experiences with a substandard service department.
    You bet deflect and redirect. I tried to get a warranty call on a signature light that went bad in 2 months and they dicked me around until BRP would not honor anything on it.
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Yep for those that never knew, that little needle valve in the valve stem is the Dill valve. Like my daddy used to say...learn something new every day.
    Buckskin
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
    Yep for those that never knew, that little needle valve in the valve stem is the Dill valve. Like my daddy used to say...learn something new every day.
    Buckskin

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    The Limited (F3-L) has an automatic rear air bag system. The F3-T air bag is a manual system thus the need for the schrader valve.
    Just to complicate matters the 2016 F3L does not have automatic air ride. It is the same as the F3T.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Just added a little air on the wifes 16 F3T yesterday. The air pressure was down to 15 psi and brought it back to about 40, so that while I lose about 5 psi everytime I release the air chuck it should still be good. Thanks for the tip on the T-fitting Buckskin. Being a gadget freak, and liking the FOBOs, I'll have to get one next trip to Lamonsters Garage... I usually check the air bag on the base RT and the wifes bike 2-3 times a season and add a little then.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

The idea of the T-valve is to pretty much leave the sensor alone. Every time you remove it or install it, Pffft and there goes 2 psi. One thing I did with the front wheels is to install the metal bolt in straight stem. The rubber mount is tired and shorter. Plus it will spin a little when you try to seal off the sensor. If you are installing FOBO sensors the recess in the wheels make it tight.
    Get the 1.25" long chrome bolt in stems and next time a tire change install these.
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Just added a little air on the wifes 16 F3T yesterday. The air pressure was down to 15 psi and brought it back to about 40, so that while I lose about 5 psi everytime I release the air chuck it should still be good. Thanks for the tip on the T-fitting Buckskin. Being a gadget freak, and liking the FOBOs, I'll have to get one next trip to Lamonsters Garage... I usually check the air bag on the base RT and the wifes bike 2-3 times a season and add a little then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3T , Pearl White