Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I would say way to much toe in or excessive camber ,but toe would be my guess.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I would say way to much toe in or excessive camber ,but toe would be my guess.
    Too much toe-in would cause excessive wear on only one side of the tire …..Toe-out would cause wear on the other side …… The OP has excessive wear on both sides of that tire,....The Spyder suspensions have a Fixed Camber from it's design ( it can be adjusted slightly with shims but not recommended ). To me it appears to be severe un-der inflation. But for that to be the cause the OP would have noticed very bad handling. ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

In the pic i can only see the wear on the outside of the tire !
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A better more accurate PIC would help immensely ………… Bad info in -----bad info out …....…..Mike

Spyder Garage

It looked to me like predominately outside tire wear as well. But the picture isn't good enough to be sure. A better picture would certainly be a big help. It's hard to imagine that low pressure could destroy a tire in 1300 miles. And that's assuming the tire pressure has been very low for the entire time. Could someone push their Spyder in the twisties with tires that low? A lot of questions. And not much more than speculation so far.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Seems about right

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Back when I was still running the OE spec Kendas & was spending some time actually testing them & the Spyder's behaviour, once both front tires got down to around 10 psi, the nanny started to intervene with just about any change of direction (like a lane change) and it'd do that especially on corners, even at fairly low road speeds!! Lower pressures up front made the dip/wallow/dip & repeat thing that can happen on direction changes a whole lot more frequent & significantly worse than it already was! But even after maybe 1000 miles running lower pressures & riding fairly hard, I couldn't yet measure any appreciable tread wear differences from one side of the tread across the face & into the other side using 'analogue' tread measuring devices! Maybe tread wear differences across the tread face could've been apparent using ultra-sonic or laser tread depth measuring devices, but I really can't see the degree of wear difference shown in the OP's pic as being SOLELY attributable to low tire pressures, OR solely attributable to cornering too hard! There's just not enough tread visible in the pic nor is what we can see clear enough to draw those sort of conclusions

I could believe that maybe the level of wear seen might arise from A MIX of significantly incorrect tire pressures, incorrect wheel alignment/suspension settings, AND a WHOLE HEAP of cornering WAAAY too hard; altho from what we can see in that one pic, I think you'd also need to consider excessively high tire pressures (as well as excessively low pressures) and a LOT of waay too hard cornering teamed with poor wheel alignment/suspension settings in the list of potential causes! Regardless, to get that degree of uneven tread wear in less than 2K miles I reckon it'd take a lot more than any one thing short of physically grinding the tread off, and it'd almost certainly make riding the Spyder AT ALL a fairly scary thing with a fair bit of nanny intervention pretty much every time you tried to change direction!!

But we really do need a fair bit more info & pics to give any meaningful advice beyond 'the dealer is feeding you a BS answer' - maybe they're doing that in the hope that you'll go away & leave them alone?! Maybe they stuffed up big time & want to get rid of you quickly, or at least get you to pay for them to fix their stuff up; or maybe it just looks all too hard for them to even want to try & fix it?! Whatever the reasoning behind the BS answer might be, we need more info & better pics to give you anything more helpful... So whichever way we look at it, the ball is squarely in the OP's court.......

Ps: I still think that if there's any way for your Spyder to be Squared Away, you really should do it!! Sooner rather than later, & certainly before destroying any replacement tires!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-24-2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Get it Squared Away!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Too much toe-in would cause excessive wear on only one side of the tire …..Toe-out would cause wear on the other side …… The OP has excessive wear on both sides of that tire,....The Spyder suspensions have a Fixed Camber from it's design ( it can be adjusted slightly with shims but not recommended ). To me it appears to be severe un-der inflation. But for that to be the cause the OP would have noticed very bad handling. ….. Mike
    I agree with you, Mike, but if this is the OP's first Spyder and he has no other experience, he might not realize that his handling is bad.
    Like everyone else, I can't believe his tires are that bad that soon. The "cheep" Kendas on my 2017 RT have 3500 miles on them and look like brand new.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

I aligned mine myself ,and at 10,000 km the tires look like new and it handles fine .Could it be better maybe ,but it is the only spyder i have drove.
    2018 RTL , dark blue