Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Horrible tire wear

Hi everyone. I only have 1,300 miles on my 2017 RT Limited and the tires are already bald all the way around the outsides. They told my I was riding too hard in the corners. Seriously???? 1,300 miles. Suggestions. It was lined up after 500 mile break in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Where was it aligned? What kind of equipment was used? Did the technician know what he was doing? The picture looks like the dealership is pegging the BS meter. Since the first inspection is not due until 3,000 miles it also appears the dealership has your wallet on a very short leash.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Egads, looks like that shop is messing with you big time. I'd be hunting another one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree also. There is no way the alignment was done properly, if at all.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

What tire pressure are you running..? under inflated can cause outer edge wear as well.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Agreed, how about a picture of the whole tire? If it's only that side it's very poorly aligned.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

That is a front tire, isn't it? What does the other one look like? And has the rear tire worn oddly too? Lotsa questions raised by that one pic, but you did ask!!

So what tire pressures are you running?? Yes, under inflation can cause excessive wear on the outside of a tire, wear that is fairly equal on BOTH sides of the tread! But under inflation won't scrub a tire out like that!! Not in 1300 miles!! Not even on the 'known to be less than well made' Kendas!! Even if you had NO air in a tire it'd be hard pressed to scrub the tread out like that!! And not on just one side of the tire tread, either!!

How does the Spyder handle?? Is it a bit 'darty', ie. does it tend to want to dart off to one side then the other, with the slightest movement of the bars even on a straight & level road?? Does it drag to one side more than the other? Or is it really hard to move off the straight & narrow, sorta like it's plowing ahead no matter what??

Any chance you could post up a couple more pics of the Spyder, one taken from straight out behind & the other taken from straight out the front, preferably so we can see both front wheels in each (& the rear tire from behind too) as well as the way the Spyder sits on level gound, ie its stance? It'd be best if you could take the pic from straight out behind & in front of it, say a couple of yards or so, & get the camera lens down low, at about hub/middle of the wheel height & exactly in line with the middle of the Spyder? A pic taken from straight behind & one from dead ahead at wheel center height might let us see what the problem really is, especially if you can get those pics with the usual rider's weight sitting on it? If we can see how each tire sits on level ground with relation to the other, as well as seeing how parallel to the ground both sets of front suspension arms are, it might just give us enough clues to reveal the true answer.... cos I'm not buying the 'riding too hard in the corners' thing... at least not yet, anyway!!

Regardless, I would certainly be getting a second opinion! And finding another dealer! And getting a 'proper'wheel alignment done by someone who knows Spyders & wheel alignments before or along with fitting new tires! I certainly wouldn't be fitting new tires & ryding more than just a couple of miles on them before getting that alignment done. How near are you to anywhere Squared Away is gonna be in the near future?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-22-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've got over 18K miles on my factory Kendas and probably have a couple thousand left on them. For the dealer to accuse you of riding to hard in curves is beyond pegging the BS meter. I would say your out of alignment. But as others have said, without the other tire pictures and knowing what pressures your running them at, it's just a guess.
    2016 RTL , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

What other mods have been done regarding the suspension? Specifically, were upgraded front shocks installed, or any changes mace regarding the springs or ride height.

Those factors will alter front wheel alignment.

In simple terms though, it appears once again an incorrectly done alignment.

Spyder Garage

The above are all right on concerning the right tire pressure, poor alignment, first actual service should be 3,000 miles (500 break in means taking it easy on the brakes, and tranny).

I usually get 20K plus out of my front tires (OEM Kenda).

I would be looking for another servicing dealer.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-22-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What type of corners would cause that kind of wear at 1300 miles. I am sure you are not on any Nascar track racing the RT.

All comments above

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    ..... Jim
    ......also …………. It is a proven fact that Kenda tires are flimsy and poorly made ……….But that tire is the absolutely worst example I have ever seen ………. What psi were you running ???? …………… Mike

Spyder Garage

Do Kenda have qualifying rubber now?
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I had it done where I bought the bike. I think the technician may not be what he seems. I'm going to a different dealer tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Yes. The outside of both front tires is this way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIGT FROM F.B. View Post
    Something is very wrong. I am not an alignment or suspension expert. But to have both front tires go bald on both sides in such short order suggests a serious problem. Not to mention the BS your dealer is trying to have you believe. I would be looking for a fix in addition to (at Least) a prorated credit for new tires. Give your dealer or another dealer the chance to do the right thing and stand behind their product and their work. If you then continue to get stone-walled, open a case with BRP and keep after it. Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I had it done where I bought the bike. I think the technician may not be what he seems. I'm going to a different dealer tomorrow.
    I suggest you: 1 take it to a dealer that has a competent technician using the Rolo laser alignment system and, 2 have the new shop record exactly what the alignment specs were when you brought in the Spyder and, 3 if it was a poorly done alignment take the before and after specs back to the original dealer and ask for a refund of your money for a job.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone. I only have 1,300 miles on my 2017 RT Limited and the tires are already bald all the way around the outsides. They told my I was riding too hard in the corners. Seriously???? 1,300 miles. Suggestions. It was lined up after 500 mile break in.
    I just took my 2018 RTL in to the dealer a couple weeks ago for the 3000 mi. service and all three tires look nearly new. Unfortunately, over this past weekend, while on a 300 mile road trip, I hit a large rock which put a balloon in the sidewall of the left front tire. Luckily Kenda tires are cheep. The OEM replacement was just slightly more than $100 installed .

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Insyder View Post
    I just took my 2018 RTL in to the dealer a couple weeks ago for the 3000 mi. service and all three tires look nearly new. Unfortunately, over this past weekend, while on a 300 mile road trip, I hit a large rock which put a balloon in the sidewall of the left front tire. Luckily Kenda tires are cheep. The OEM replacement was just slightly more than $100 installed .
    Kenda tires are CHEAP - absolutely, they are flimsy and poorly made. Compared to Auto tires they have a much higher rate of Defective tires..... as far as CHEAP in price … you can buy Federal Formoza's for the front for about $60.00 each and they will last almost twice as long …… all the best …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Can't be done and not go off the road!

It's the old tried and true...

bs-meter1.gif

I would ask if you have a BajaRon sway bar installed. The sway bar helps to maintain correct alignment in turns which can reduce abnormal front tire wear.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

BIGT,
    There are a lot of very experienced tyre guys on here, but Peter Aawen is possibly the most experienced, right up to racing team level. Have a read of his post above and see if you can get the pictures and answers he requests. Most of the other experienced tyre guys are responding along the same track as Peter, so it will certainly help.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Are we getting our leg pulled here or what?? Are those 1300 miles on crushed rock and in a constant turn. I smell a fish in Denmark somewhere here and would like to know the outcome and more information on this.

Question number one would be who is the dealer?

Question number two would be how did it handle during this wear.

There is definitely something not known here!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Are we getting our leg pulled here or what?? Are those 1300 miles on crushed rock and in a constant turn. I smell a fish in Denmark somewhere here and would like to know the outcome and more information on this.

Question number one would be who is the dealer?

Question number two would be how did it handle during this wear.

There is definitely something not known here!

Jack
    I got more mileage on the rear tires of my souped up 440 magnum & I spun them all the time. I agree I can't believe low tire pressure could cause that much wear in 1300 miles :-(
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

We will be at Spyders in the Bayou next week. Bring it to me, and I’ll fix it. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system