Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default PLEASE BRP! It's time for an RT refresh!

Has anyone heard anything about a refresh for the design of the RT? Anything at all?

In my opinion its time, if not way overdue at this point. 10 years without a significant redesign of the body is too long. I'm still ryding my 2014 (which has been rock solid) and I have no intention of trading in for what I perceive to be a down grade in feature set. That new Infotainment system is not a reasonable justification to purchase a new $30K machine. My wife has it on her 18' F3, and we both wish we could swap out for the old system. I'm beginning to feel a little neglected here.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited , OEM NA Satin Platinum

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Been some small / big changes over the years. Wow you just have to think about it a little. the biggest change I think from 2014 to the 2018 would be the steering and com once all the updates are complete. Body style has not changed to much over 10 years but a little: fenders, fins in the front. BRP has changed the engine the frame, wheel size just to mention a few things. So as the song goes, getting better all the time OR don't worry be happy
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I was the proud owner of the first year 2010 RT. I had Premier Edition #474.

Also the owner of a 2011 and a 2014. 2014 was the big year for engines (1330/3) and gears (6 speed). There have been some small "teasers" but nothing to get me to go for another $25K to $30K machine. Both are paid for. Both have low 30K miles and still run good.

Don't count on BRP spending a lot for a re-hash of the design. I believe the F3 was their attempt. It would not surprise me to see the RT's discontinued in the near future.

They still have all the expenditures for the Ryker to cover. Happily, Ryker sales seem good at the moment.

The only problem I see for BRP is that if any major manufacturer (Honda, Yamaha, etc.) comes up with a viable three wheeler (2 in front), they will have a LOT of customers real quick. I have had three RT's and feel they are a bit "old in the tooth."

For me, at 73, I am running out of time to be willing to spend another $30K.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-22-2019 at 09:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about a refresh for the design of the RT? Anything at all?

In my opinion its time, if not way overdue at this point. 10 years without a significant redesign of the body is too long. I'm still ryding my 2014 (which has been rock solid) and I have no intention of trading in for what I perceive to be a down grade in feature set. That new Infotainment system is not a reasonable justification to purchase a new $30K machine. My wife has it on her 18' F3, and we both wish we could swap out for the old system. I'm beginning to feel a little neglected here.
    Let me be first to start a rumor "RTR" RT Rally with CVT (Shaft Drive) 22" Knobie tires that will sit full 6 inches higher than the RT Limited it will have the Rally mode from the Ryker. Coming to a dealer near you soon. (2020)
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I'm in your boat regarding no intention of trading my '14 RT-S that will break 50K tomorrow. I don't give a hoot about BRP not changing the design as it suits both my local and touring needs just fine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Many touring bikes seem to evolve over the years. Thinking about the Honda Goldwing. When Honda did a change owners came down on both sides of loving and hating it. So b careful what you wish for.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

All good opinions so far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Honda did not redo the wing for 17 years!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    Many touring bikes seem to evolve over the years. Thinking about the Honda Goldwing. When Honda did a change owners came down on both sides of loving and hating it. So b careful what you wish for.
    I was one of those hating and loving changes. I owned goldwings. 1200, 1500, and 1800 CCs. Still own an 1800. Each move was a different bike. The new 1800s are not my cup of tea. But I have been known to adjust. Times and markets change..... Are there things I would like to see changed in the RT.....? You bet. But I think it fills a nitch for touring trikes that is otherwise void..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I have a 28 year old Harley FLHS that most folks that aren't HD aficionados can't easily tell from a new Road King. Heck, at a quick look Harleys haven't changed much in half a century. Same with our GL1800 trike. Same basic style for 17 years, and 13 years for the 1500 before it. Touring machines in the motorcycle world seem to change evolutionary for long periods before a revolutionary change. For most folks not familiar with Spyders, (and that is most folks in general) most all Can Am trikes are interesting, new and different. Though repeat business is important, I would venture a guess that most of the Spyder sales are to those new to the brand, so a major redesign to look more up to date to long time owners is not a priority.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

Trying to put a positive spin on it -- when they don't change much, it helps resale value.

There's little on my Spyder that "needs" to change. I can think of things I'd do differently but nothing really significant. It's a very enjoyable micro-sportscar "as is."

akspyderman said that if Yamaha, etc.) comes up with a viable three wheeler (2 in front), they'll have a lot of customers real quick. I would dispute that. The Yamaha Niken has two up front and has been on the market at least as long as the Ryker, but I've never seen one yet. I kind of doubt that ANY three-wheeler company is ever going to have a LOT of customers. Motorcycle sales in general are down and the attitude of youth is that if you're cool, you have a two-wheeler, and that three-wheelers are "uncool" and mainly for old fogies and people with disabilities. That's not true but that's the perception.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

In the past, and not sure if this is currently true, the RT series was the greater quantity of Spyders sold each year. If true, it seems unlikely the RT will go away.

Can Am has made several variations of the RT besides color. The SS was one, the aniversary was another, going along with the three primary setups of RT base model, RTS, and RT Limited.

Not everyone enjoys the F3 style, ergonomics, or wants a cruiser. Time will tell if Can Am holds onto the RT platform.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Trying to put a positive spin on it -- when they don't change much, it helps resale value.

There's little on my Spyder that "needs" to change. I can think of things I'd do differently but nothing really significant. It's a very enjoyable micro-sportscar "as is."

akspyderman said that if Yamaha, etc.) comes up with a viable three wheeler (2 in front), they'll have a lot of customers real quick. I would dispute that. The Yamaha Niken has two up front and has been on the market at least as long as the Ryker, but I've never seen one yet. I kind of doubt that ANY three-wheeler company is ever going to have a LOT of customers. Motorcycle sales in general are down and the attitude of youth is that if you're cool, you have a two-wheeler, and that three-wheelers are "uncool" and mainly for old fogies and people with disabilities. That's not true but that's the perception.
    The Yamaha is kind of neat, and no doubt an expensive lesson for all manufacturers on what the consumer and industry like. As Yamaha states, the Niken still must be supported similar to a two wheel motorcycle. That alone could deter riders from purchasing the bike.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I enjoy my spyder and am in no rush to see them make any changes. One of my favorite bikes is the Suzuki Boulevard M109 (I have owned 4 of them). They came out in 2006, and have only made one minor change in all that time. The same thing can be said for the hayabusa, gold wing, and so many other bikes.
    As for as the yamaha niken is concerned, I think it is a mater of availability. We are not seeing any on the streets because they made a limited number, and have all of them presold already. They have even had very few to allow people to even sit on. Once they get production up, I think there will be more of them on the road. I do feel like it will not be taking the place of a spyder or a ryker (due to it's height and such), but there will be a place for it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

still waiting on an 1800cc engine & fully-automatic tranny... until then, i'll hold onto my 2015 F3....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I hear you as I get the itch from time to time. I have a 2015 RTL with over $8K in mods/improvements ranging from Elka shocks to Sheepskins to everything in between. I never intended to invest at this level; it just happened over time. What I've ended up with is an absolute treat to ride. I was riding yesterday and just smiled at how much I enjoyed the ride and the bike. I'll continue to get the itch, but I hope I just keep this, keep smiling, and see 100K and beyond on my ODO.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default Remember the Beetle...?

They do make subtle changes which are loved and hated. I remember one ad for the VW bug that stated 64 changes for the year and you could spot maybe 4... they sold well for a really long time. We may be the larger part of the market but one needs to remember they sell all over the world. would be tough to re-tool and still keep the price within reach...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Agree with what you say above. My reference to a viable three wheeler with two in the front...referred to a Gold Wing/HD type trike with all the ameneties. IMO...the Yamaha Niken is a joke. An attempt at an upline Piaggio....which is also not on my plate.

We have seen teasers of GW trikes (spyder style) some kit versions from trike builders, etc. Those are what I am referring to. So if Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, came up with a factory, touring, deluxe, trike (two in front)...that is what I am talking about.

So far, the kit presentations are just not there for me. The one with the coffin front is a good example. The other issue is "factory" versions. They would include warranties. Most brands, once triked, lose their warranties.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-23-2019 at 01:22 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    They do make subtle changes which are loved and hated. I remember one ad for the VW bug that stated 64 changes for the year and you could spot maybe 4... they sold well for a really long time. We may be the larger part of the market but one needs to remember they sell all over the world. would be tough to re-tool and still keep the price within reach...
    The beetle changes were very subtle. I bought a new 1968. The biggies, the front seats had built in headrests and were offered in "leatherette." A slightly bigger engine. I think that year was the first gas gauge too. Not bad for $1688.00

Now...back to the program.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm very happy with our 2016 RT, and we were happy with our first Spyder, a 2010 RT. I wouldn't change much....having to remove a mirror to change the oil is a bit out of line...but whadaya gonna do?
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Many ryders have hit on common notes. Honda Goldwing the same for 17 years. Harley the same for 25 years. And they didn't change for a reason. I cannot imagine how Can Am could get a ryde better than they already have. It seems the new Ryken is to attract the younger buyer who will eventually buy the RT. Someone said the RT will go away. My money is that it will not. I have a '14 vanilla RT. I have upgraded the heck out of it and the only upgrade you can actually see is LED lighting and the Seal floorboards. I mean a LOT OF MONEY is in my bike and as a result of all the upgrades, it performs really well. The only issue I have had was a few months ago with a cam shaft sensor. Having the B.E.S.T. warranty has paid off.. Otherwise (KNOCK ON WOOD) it has performed flawlessly. Having owned and ridden many many bikes. this one is second best (But come on, you never forget your favorite two wheeler, the BMW K1200LT in my case.) Personally, I hope Can Am keeps the RT alive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I was the proud owner of the first year 2010 RT. I had Premier Edition #474.

Also the owner of a 2011 and a 2014. 2014 was the big year for engines (1330/3) and gears (6 speed). There have been some small "teasers" but nothing to get me to go for another $25K to $30K machine. Both are paid for. Both have low 30K miles and still run good.

Don't count on BRP spending a lot for a re-hash of the design. I believe the F3 was their attempt. It would not surprise me to see the RT's discontinued in the near future.

They still have all the expenditures for the Ryker to cover. Happily, Ryker sales seem good at the moment.

The only problem I see for BRP is that if any major manufacturer (Honda, Yamaha, etc.) comes up with a viable three wheeler (2 in front), they will have a LOT of customers real quick. I have had three RT's and feel they are a bit "old in the tooth."

For me, at 73, I am running out of time to be willing to spend another $30K.
    Really seriously thinking about the Vanderhall.... But the price is making me think again.
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Spyder Garage

I kind of like the RT the way it is, and think the F3 limited is something of an RT "refresh". I'd buy the F3 if the backrest were as comfy to the wife as the RTs is.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donnellpj View Post
    Given the apparent success of the Ryker.......and their inept handling of one of it's best features, the integrated audio with CB...........

They might just "refresh" it right out of existence soon.

If I was shopping again today, the new models would NOT be on my short list.

Spyder Garage

I think the F3 was/is the refresh for the RT. They now have enough accessories to make it a full blown RT. Same engine, controls, a few tweeks in handling. It seems to me that the RT is now the "redundant" one.

Is it long for this world?????

I still have two RT's. A 2011 and a 2014. Have not been tempted with any of the "new" versions that have appeared since 2014. 30K miles on each...running good...paid for a long time ago. No longer jumping in every two years or so. Did have the desire for an F3 touring...no top trunk...but that changed when I test sat one. Prefer the couch type ride on the RT.

2020 F3L , Magma Red