Spyder Garage

Default Delay'd shift into 2nd gear under full throttle

I have a 2015 F3's SE6. I get this delay'd shift into 2nd gear under full throttle--approx 1 second. Other gears shift instantly. Does anyone else experience this issue & any solution to fix the problem??
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I have a 2015 F3's SE6. I get this delay'd shift into 2nd gear under full throttle--approx 1 second. Other gears shift instantly. Does anyone else experience this issue & any solution to fix the problem??
    Darrell
    Darrell, If you had the ECU re-mapped ( I think you did ) I would ask Steve about this issue …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Darrell, If you had the ECU re-mapped ( I think you did ) I would ask Steve about this issue …… Mike
    Mike--it's been in Winter parked mode for 4-5 months. Maybe it needs to be loosened up. It's also a touch jumpy off the line--turning around in the driveway-etc--like it has a stall speed converter. But it sure won't hurt to ask Steve, I just need to put some miles on it 1st.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Guess you will have to give it some time and see if it clears up. Make sure you are making positive shift not ginger touch... it may be a hesitation as it passes "N" on its way to "2nd". The other gears just go straight on to the next....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Guess you will have to give it some time and see if it clears up. Make sure you are making positive shift not ginger touch... it may be a hesitation as it passes "N" on its way to "2nd". The other gears just go straight on to the next....
    No--under full throttle I have a firm grip on the handle bar & a firm thumb press on shift lever, we both agree--more time & warmer weather. It was 28 degrees this morning currently 42 degrees. I grew up on a small dairy farm next to Green Bay, WI thus I've had my fill of cold weather riding. Now I require over 50 degrees plus sunshine :-)

Spyder Garage

even my F3S has the same problem

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by torx164 View Post
    even my F3S has the same problem
    What year is your F3's ?
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Mine is a daytona 2018

Spyder Garage

I know with my RT, if I am on the gas hard like trying to get out into traffic on the highway, it will do just what you are saying.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The problem in my opinion is that with the first gear you reach a number of engine revolutions too high and too fast and the gear change device loses some time x synchronize well the second gear to be inserted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I know with my RT, if I am on the gas hard like trying to get out into traffic on the highway, it will do just what you are saying.
    No--it could be that occasion--but I just talking about testing maximum acceleration between 1 3-4 gears thus I keep the throttle pinned wide open even during shifting.

Spyder Garage

The problem in my opinion is that with the first gear you reach a number of engine revolutions too high and too fast and the gear change device loses some time x synchronize well the second gear to be inserted.
    I thought that power shifting issue was solved in the 1960's. The gears have a mechanical syncro thus if the gear is spinning at "X RPM" so is the gear change Syncro.
    When I think back I believe I noticed this problem prior to any ECU upgrades--I have a very good memory--it's just very short & not always accurate :-(

Darrell

Spyder Garage

I keep the throttle pinned wide open even during shifting.
    Mine is weird...I will get what you are talking about but it has to be at one certain throttle position & load. But at WOT, it shifts hard and fast with no hesitation or "hiccup".... I think mine is a "transition point" in the mapping and its "severity" changes with running temps and outside air temp....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    Mine is weird...I will get what you are talking about but it has to be at one certain throttle position & load. But at WOT, it shifts hard and fast with no hesitation or "hiccup".... I think mine is a "transition point" in the mapping and its "severity" changes with running temps and outside air temp....
    One would think the gear shift lever should be the controlling factor--maybe BRP isn't one of the ones who think that

Spyder Garage

Darrell
    Might be closer to 1/2 second--but it's definitely noticeable . :-(

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 F3-S SE6 and I have the same issue as well.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

One would think the gear shift lever should be the controlling factor--maybe BRP isn't one of the ones who think that
    Well, there is "programming" involved for communication between the ECM & TCM, to cut timing and/or close throttle momentarily to allow unloading of the gears/synchros for both up and downshifts. This reduces wear and tear and supposedly makes for a smoother shift.... I am wondering if the actual electronic shift actuator solenoid is just a bit slow for the task....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Well, there is "programming" involved for communication between the ECM & TCM, to cut timing and/or close throttle momentarily to allow unloading of the gears/synchros for both up and downshifts. This reduces wear and tear and supposedly makes for a smoother shift.... I am wondering if the actual electronic shift actuator solenoid is just a bit slow for the task....
    I'm still exhausted from removing the cat delete & muffler & reinstalling it again--now I need to find a solenoid & time its transfer :-( Woe is me :-( Won't that be the same solenoid that controls 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc?

Spyder Garage

My 2017 F3 also rarely has. Can also happen from the second to the third. I mean it's because of a certain RPM engine.

Spyder Garage

Won't that be the same solenoid that controls 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc?
    It is. Maybe "passing thru the neutral selection" when going from 1st to 2nd has something to do with it?

Chuck

Spyder Garage

It is. Maybe "passing thru the neutral selection" when going from 1st to 2nd has something to do with it?
    Could be Chuck, I've had air shift solenoids on 3 bikes & never encountered this magic delay.
    But worse yet--I've misplaced my 2 cluster 6 speed tranny from a Hayabusa. I hate misplacing things. I was going to take a few photos & attach them. considering the consistent delay & the short distance the gear forks have to move the gear--it seems unlikely--But I don't have a better idea. Someone on this forum stated they have the same problem but in a different gear change. The gears usually only move less than 1", especially being consistent. Stock ECU's should be flashed the same. Could it be a marginally weak solenoid --not impossible I guess but seems unlikely. The delay seems like it kills the engine which is what the air shift sport bikes do(ground out the coil packs) for approx 50 milliseconds . Which makes the problem an engine kill delay time[. I think "Diginurds" are involved ...

Spyder Garage

I Think He's right wild rice The problem is of the solenoid too slow, I on my previous bikes I always had the power shifting, and I had never problems to do 1 °-2 ° even at 14 RPM!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I Think He's right wild rice The problem is of the solenoid too slow, I on my previous bikes I always had the power shifting, and I had never problems to do 1 °-2 ° even at 14 RPM!!!!!
    If the problem is with the solenoid causing the delay--the tach should show bumping the rev limiter--does yousr bump the rev limiter during the delay??
    Most motorcycle tach's read a few hundred RPM higher than actual RPM at maximum. The Hayabusa's were off by 400 rpm. If yours is stock ecu set at 8100--run it up into the rev limiter in 1st or 2nd gear & see what the tach's rpm shows.
    If have the stage 2 MFI upgraded ECU set to 8600 & I've seen 9000 rpm on the tach.

Spyder Garage

If the problem is with the solenoid causing the delay--
    What I meant by possibly being too slow, is that it just doesn't react fast enough to make the shift so the ECM/TCM has to hold the delays put in place for the request. Again, logic would state that this would happen in all gears.... but depending on the programming and what the parameters on your specific byke are at the time of the shift request may "create" the problem. As does mine at whatever the throttle position/ECT/IAT parameters are when it happens.... Gonna prob be one of those questions that never gets sorted out fully....

Chuck