Spyder Garage

Default Disconnecting Fuel & Temp gauges

I'm going to swap out the dash cover of 2016 RT Limited with a painted one, so while I have everything open was thinking about disconnecting both the fuel and Temp gauges. For those of you who have done this my question is did you like the digital displays on the main screen, did you feel they were more or less accurate?

If was a bit more knowledgeable about the process would put something in their place but I am not and will probably just leave the unhooked ones in or look for blanks to fill the holes, anybody know what I'd need to order for blanks? I think someone said 52mm although can't find the post.

Thanks.

Dan
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I did this and replaced my gauges with black plastic plugs from Ace Hardware for $2.00 Very happy with the digital dash gauges except that their flipped sides, The dash gauge on the right (temp) displays on the left side of the dash, the fuel gauge (on the left) displays on the right side of the dash
    .20180624_142251.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Not sure on the newer models but traditionally the digital guages worked much better than the analog. I would not be happy having them there and not working and would replace them with power outlets or other useful gauges. Last resort the blank covers would be better than having them there not working....jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

How to the plugs attach? Just snap in place?

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I had a 2014 base model RT, and it did not come with the analog gauges. I thought that was an upgrade. I never saw a need for them, but I thought it was a good thing. A friend of mine switched his stock plugs in for a usb port so he could charge his phone. Nice to know .
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I did it on the 2010 RTS and the 2011 RT A&C. Just unplug the gauges. Covering is up to you.

On both, I preferred the digital gauges. The gas gauge seems more accurate because you do not have to question the needle bouncing around all the time.

My 2014 RT-S has rock solid gas gauge. No need to modify.

It is my understanding that both gauges must be disconnected. Either both on or both off.

My .02.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

DO IT....I had the worst readings with my BRP gas gage. Most of the time it would read low (light indicator with only 70 miles driven). I would go to fill up and I would put 4 gallons in. I pulled both the water temp and gas gauge. Since then, my digital gas gauge has been spot on. SOOOOO glad I did this.
    I replaced my water temp gauge to a DIgital voltage gauge. I picked it up on Ebay for 12$ it works Great! As for my gas gauge I replaced it with a ram mount. It looks nice. It gives me a place to mount my phone, water cup, gps ect..If you want some pics I would have to get some. PM me if you want to see them.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Wow, I had a 2014 base model RT, and it did not come with the analog gauges. I thought that was an upgrade. I never saw a need for them, but I thought it was a good thing. A friend of mine switched his stock plugs in for a usb port so he could charge his phone. Nice to know .
    That was an upgrade and it was maddening that you paid more for gauges that didn’t work. On my 10 I had the dealer replace the gas gauge 3 times before I finally gave up. The newer models work much better though.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That was an upgrade and it was maddening that you paid more for gauges that didn’t work. On my 10 I had the dealer replace the gas gauge 3 times before I finally gave up. The newer models work much better though.
    replaced two times for me on the 2010...and they still did not work.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    How to the plugs attach? Just snap in place?
    Tyris, if you're referring to the inexpensive ones from hardware store, yes they just plug in the existing holes. Have ridden over 10,000 miles including some very rough dirt roads and they are still holding on.
    They're just 2 inch panel plugs, I think mine were grey originally and I painted them black. Looked like these
    Spyder panel plug.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Replaced mine with RAM mounts where I put my phone and GPS.

Spyder Garage

How difficult is it wire in different gauge in the openings, perhaps an amp gauge or usb outlet, can you just use the power for the gauges?

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    I'm going to swap out the dash cover of 2016 RT Limited with a painted one, so while I have everything open was thinking about disconnecting both the fuel and Temp gauges. For those of you who have done this my question is did you like the digital displays on the main screen, did you feel they were more or less accurate?

If was a bit more knowledgeable about the process would put something in their place but I am not and will probably just leave the unhooked ones in or look for blanks to fill the holes, anybody know what I'd need to order for blanks? I think someone said 52mm although can't find the post.

Thanks.

Dan
    On the painting thing - I did two, one in White Pearl and the other in Cognac ( check any post by " Deanna777 to see one ) …… the Cognac color was from a High heat paint formulated for Metal - I PRIMED the plastic DASH panel with a paint made for PLASTIC's ….. and got a Perfect finish from the Cognac ….. some members here tried the same thing EXCEPT they didn't prime the plastic and the finished surface ALLIGATORED badly...… The White Pearl was a Toyota color and might have done the same thing - however I had primed the dash for that also ……On removing the GUAGES , BRP is NOT generous with the amount of wire they use …… have a pair of needle nose pliers handy to unplug the connectors if my memory is correct a pair that is BENT would be better …….good luck....Mike