Thread: Slow air leak

Spyder Garage

Default Slow air leak

I have a rally edition and I have a slow air leak in the front right tire at the Bead line Where the tire meets the rim. I have heard of a couple of other of you who have had the same problem. Are there others? Is this a common problem?

I have put in 6 oz of the Lamoster's tire sealant but I'm still having a problem.

Spyder Garage

I would stop by the dealer and ask them to check and potentially re-seat the tire. Be sure to warn them that you put sealer in, and don't be surprised if there is an additional charge... Tire sealer is the stuff of the devil...
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag

Spyder Garage

This seems to be a recurring problem. So far, it seems to be caused by a poor air seal to the rim. Recommended to fill to 40 psi, and then bang around the rim area to re-seat the tire.

Would be nice if you had a water tank to check for further leakage.

If to much work...let the dealer do it. It should have been caught during set up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My Rally tires have maintained pressure better than any bike I have ever owned. I have needed air only twice since I bought it in January and this is despite the bipolar weather we have had in East Texas this spring. Of course now that I have said that I will probably walk out of the office later and find one of mine flat in the parking lot!
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Recommended to fill to 40 psi
    What is the actual recommended tire pressure on both the front/rear tires? Is it 40 psi all around? I have a Rally but it'd be interesting to know if it was different for the 600/900 ACE too.
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

NO... He was recommending filling to 40, rubber mallet to ensure the bead is seated, then reduce back to recommended pressures...

Per the manual:

Rally - 20psi Front, 28psi Rear

600 and 900 ACE - 25psi Front, 28psi Rear

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamTRyker View Post
    What is the actual recommended tire pressure on both the front/rear tires? Is it 40 psi all around? I have a Rally but it'd be interesting to know if it was different for the 600/900 ACE too.
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    This seems to be a recurring problem. So far, it seems to be caused by a poor air seal to the rim. Recommended to fill to 40 psi, and then bang around the rim area to re-seat the tire.

Would be nice if you had a water tank to check for further leakage.

If to much work...let the dealer do it. It should have been caught during set up.
    IF that doesn't work …..I'd go to 60lbs psi and use the mallet again ……………….. Professional tire mounters use pressures a lot higher than that ….. Of course these are used on Auto and Truck tires, but even the flimsy Kenda can handle 60 lbs. ……. Remember the very HIGH psi is only for SEATING the bead...…. then you must reduce the Pressure to the amount you use while actually riding the Spyder...... The PRO's often use " Bead Sealant " when they mount tires - Yes it does act as a lubricant , However after it dry's it acts like a glue ….. then when that tire needs to be removed, you will need to use a HYDRAULIC TIRE MACHINE ……………. good luck …. Mike ...……….PS, Kenda tires are not known for their Quality construction , this tire could very well be DEFECTIVE and never seal properly ……

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Probably wouldn't recommend this for a new vehicle, but years ago I fixed a leaking tire bead quite nicely. It was an aluminum wheel with some low level corrosion at the bead. It wouldn't seal tight, not even with the lube the tire shop uses. I got fed up with it so I deflated the tire, broke the tire loose, smeared a thin bead of Permatex Flexible Form-a-Gasket around the rim, and aired it up. Tire didn't leak again.

No idea what happened at the tire shop later. I sold the car!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

It would seem that there is someone in the tire mounting section not doing it correctly on their shift as not all leak. It is scary to mount correctly and have the tire pop as it hop the lip to seat with the rim but if it simply slide on and the pressure stops it does not always seat well. It would seem that if the tire was low at assembly they would now check that as we are seeing more having this problem...glad it is a simple fix and a slow leak....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Probably wouldn't recommend this for a new vehicle, but years ago I fixed a leaking tire bead quite nicely. It was an aluminum wheel with some low level corrosion at the bead. It wouldn't seal tight, not even with the lube the tire shop uses. I got fed up with it so I deflated the tire, broke the tire loose, smeared a thin bead of Permatex Flexible Form-a-Gasket around the rim, and aired it up. Tire didn't leak again.

Good idea in my opinion.
    As long as its the non-hardening permatex it wouldn't have been an issue when cleaning the rim. I used to swear by that stuff when rebuilding engines.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Good idea in my opinion.
    As long as its the non-hardening permatex it wouldn't have been an issue when cleaning the rim. I used to swear by that stuff when rebuilding engines.
    Right. Non-hardening is what I was thinking when I wrote flexible.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

no worries some shops have a bead sealer paste that does the same thing, got some on my '68 truck rim now.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

My Rally had a leak due to poorly seated bead. Dealer corrected it.
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson