Thread: Smells

Spyder Garage

Default Smells

First ride of the season, out on the highway cruising at 110km, several random oil smells and one the smelt like hot electrical wiring (grip heat on high with newly installed foam grip). No oil leaks on the floor over winter storage....thoughts? Tested out MonsterFI...disappointed in 6 gear roll on, seems no different....lower gear roll on with rpm at 3500 is impressive, sounds different in a good way

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    First ride of the season, out on the highway cruising at 110km, several random oil smells and one the smelt like hot electrical wiring (grip heat on high with newly installed foam grip). No oil leaks on the floor over winter storage....thoughts? Tested out MonsterFI...disappointed in 6 gear roll on, seems no different....lower gear roll on with rpm at 3500 is impressive, sounds different in a good way
    I lied this morning i found about 1/8 of a cup of oil on the garage floor....last night when I checked after the ride (did it as per instructions) I notice the oil level was at the top of dipstick markings....too much oil? I have owned and ridden this 15 RT SE since last June and have never seen oil on garage floor before....

Spyder Garage

I lied this morning i found about 1/8 of a cup of oil on the garage floor....last night when I checked after the ride (did it as per instructions) I notice the oil level was at the top of dipstick markings....too much oil? I have owned and ridden this 15 RT SE since last June and have never seen oil on garage floor before....
    You have found the sweet spot for power roll off on your 2015 RT. 3500 or slightly higher will do it. That is usually where I do all my up shifting. Smooth gear changes, and a lot of power. I let the machine downshift on its own 98% of the time.

If the situation with the oil leak persists, I would have the dealer check it out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

1/8 a CUP that's substantial, keep a close eye one it & quart or two handy.
    hope is resolved soon

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you or someone filled it when it was cold. Checked and filled the oil when it was cold with out thinking. Now you got it hot you have an over full condition. Just make sure your don't see anything else in the oil as BF said keep an eye on it for a bit.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I think i have chased the garage floor oil from not having the dipstick fully tighten....today only one drop on the floor and i believe it is just the last of it dripping...whew