Thread: just quit

Spyder Garage

Default just quit

was in Daytona last week rideing in traffic and the bike just shut off no code or anything not over heated pushed off the road turned off key let it sit for a minute an started back up no problem all the way back to jacksonville . 2014 rts 10000 miles. everything checks ok oil, water, gas all good any ideas.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rascal32216 View Post
    was in Daytona last week rideing in traffic and the bike just shut off no code or anything not over heated pushed off the road turned off key let it sit for a minute an started back up no problem all the way back to jacksonville . 2014 rts 10000 miles. everything checks ok oil, water, gas all good any ideas.
    I have done this before ...I hit the red on off emergency switch on the bars without even knowing it and then when trying to find out what happened moved the switch back on without even knowing I did it and Spyder started right up only when thinking about what happened I remember playing with the switch but could not remember if it was in the on or off position. Never had that problem again. Its called OLD AGE.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    I have done this before ...I hit the red on off emergency switch on the bars without even knowing it and then when trying to find out what happened moved the switch back on without even knowing I did it and Spyder started right up only when thinking about what happened I remember playing with the switch but could not remember if it was in the on or off position. Never had that problem again. Its called OLD AGE.
    lol that happens, some people never know it.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Did this in 70 mph traffic in the fast lane of a 5 lane freeway in LA. Accidentally hit the kill switch without realizing it. No fast lane shoulder so I had to get across 4 lanes of heavy traffic to get to the right hand shoulder. When I discovered what I'd done it dawned on me that this little mistake could easily have cost me my life. As it was, no harm, no foul. Just stupidity.

I used to run into burning buildings and multiple thousand acre wildland fires for a living. Believe me! That was much safer than my little episode on that freeway in California that day.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-21-2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Glad to know i'm not the only one this has happened to.
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

Does seem like the most likely thing. if all lights and gauges remaind on and no codes or warning lights it would seem to be so... Many on the re-start will switch the kill switch back and forth but not notice if it was on or off... glad that all is working well
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Kill switch does sound like a strong possibility. If the shut down does not happen again, you should be good to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have read on this forum that the engine will restart if you flip the kill switch back on after accidentally hitting it at speed. I haven't tried it but it is something to have in the memory bank if needed..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Have read on this forum that the engine will restart if you flip the kill switch back on after accidentally hitting it at speed. I haven't tried it but it is something to have in the memory bank if needed..... Jim
    This is a fact. I have tested flipping the kill switch back and fort a couple of times at speed. Of course this is when there wasn't any issues with traffic.
    Just wanted to know for myself.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

I wish there was a warning light of sorts that would signify that the kill switch was activated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

+1 to Dennis in Lodi's experience, I've more than once hit my kill switch when trying to mess with Cruise or something else, just reaching over the bars to adjust mirror or something.
    The Deceleration is amazing!!!! A real pulse amplifier.... and I've at least once toggled it back to the on position and had the Spyder restart.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

This happened to me yesterday morning...on my way to meet a riding group. Just shut down...fortunately I was only doing about 10mph in a bit of traffic on a local road and able to pull over to a driveway apron (no shoulder) and put on the 4-ways. Oil light came on and the screen was still live. I thought I'd heard a 'clunk' when it happened and peered underneath for a blown seal or leak, trekked back about 100 feet or so looking for broken parts. Found nothing. Tried to re-start. Nothing. Waited a few minutes and considered whether I'd have to call BRP or AAA or what. Waited a few more minutes and flipped the kill switch a couple times and started right up

I was nervous for the next little while, but it all worked out and no further issues on my ride.
    On my way home, on my own street, I tested hitting the kill switch on then back off and the Spyder started right back up again while rolling. I'll be more careful in the future, but at least now I know...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    You are correct. If you ever have a sudden loss of power, take a look at the kill switch. Happened to me about 700 miles into an Iron Butt at 70 MPH. Immediate deceleration and I Hollered Oh S#*t in my headset and happened to look at the kill switch. Flipped it off and then turned it off and off I went. No need to pull over if you know what happened!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rascal32216 View Post
    gremlins
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    gremlins
    To fix that issue use this http://store.valueaccessories.net/Mo...dianBells.aspx
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

This makes me wonder if it would be appropriate to put one of those aviator-type hinged covers over the switch like a Lamborghini has on the start button.

Spyder Garage

I've also had a few experiences where my bike shut off while going down the interstate. One was because I unintentionally hit that infamous red switch. The others happened on my cruiser and were because I forgot to move the fuel supply valve from "Reserve" back to "On" after getting gas. Pucker factor kicked in hard while trying to cut lanes and pull off to the shoulder.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

I've also had a few experiences where my bike shut off while going down the interstate. One was because I unintentionally hit that infamous red switch. The others happened on my cruiser and were because I forgot to move the fuel supply valve from "Reserve" back to "On" after getting gas. Pucker factor kicked in hard while trying to cut lanes and pull off to the shoulder.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Been there, done that. Fortunately only once and I figured it out pretty quickly. Spooky.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    I have done this before ...I hit the red on off emergency switch on the bars without even knowing it.
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.