Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Foggy here too.

Ron and I really enjoyed your visit with us.

As for moose, those things are huge! Yes, a sighting off the road might be nice. You do NOT want to get up close and personal on the road with one!!!

Safe traveling.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Well, today was a sunless day. Our first since we left Jacumba, CA on Father's Day. It was a bit foggy when we left Fredericton, NB, but it got better (but never cleared). We traveled TransCan-2 until we reached Nova Scotia, where it changed to TransCan-4. When we reached Truro, NS we turned on Highway 102. Also....at Truro, the Frogg Toggs finally got tested. We had to put them on, and this time we needed them! About 30 miles south of Truro we turned west on Highway 14 to Windsor, NS and that is where we are tonight. Not too many miles, but we are just glad to have made it this far. Going over one of the wet bridges while it was raining, I encounterd a few patch bumps, which is OK, but with the patches the road took a right lean and that was almost a painful experience. Thankfully I was able to maintain it and we rolled on without any accident. At one of our gasoline stops a silver Spyder went by but I guess he didn't see us between the pumps. That would have been a real winner had we been able to have a Canadian ryder sign the banner!
    Tomorrow we plan on following Highway 101 along the coast to Halifax, NS.
    Last edited by Dudley; 07-18-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

heck of a trip i know i speak for a lot of spyder lovers when i say we envy you two for your push to get to where you want to go ....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Good thing I had no access to the computer after we started off this morning because I had only BLACK thoughts........and if voiced would have made me appear to be an awful person, SIGH.

Drizzle and mist and trees and more trees and sometimes a meadow with a few buildings with trees in the background. I couldn't take any pictures (sure and we've all seen enough pics of trees maybe?) due to the moisture in the air so I tucked away the camera in my jacket pocket. Still was a 2 jacket day until 1 came off to enable wearing the Froggs since the sky looked so promising. Wouldn't want to get soaked and embarrassedly having to say "yeah, we have rain gear, it's in the bike". At times I wonder about our sanity, then we crossed a couple of BICYCLE riders!! , now that's seriously demented-in the green hills full of mist, double yuck.

Didn't see any moose, aside from the one on the tee shirt at the welcome center, I refused to buy that.

Aside from the green stuff and the wet stuff it really wasn't a bad day; it didn't pour on us. Kind of cool on th country roads before we turned in for the day. Kind of strange to stop so early, but it kind of refuses to get dark and the body has had enough. Can see a stretch of the end of one of the channels or whatever the proper term is for the Bay of Fundy. There is some water of course but lots of exposed mud and river bank. Think tide rushes in around 10:30 tonight-not that we can see it but know its there, will check in the morning. Maybe a picture.

Had a TV dinner again. Forgot to mention it wasn't in English and Spanish like back in the states. This one was in English and French, kind of cool. Lots of that accent going on around here so I don't think I stick out like a sore thumb anymore. Time to go, by.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Don't get in too much of a hurry for that desert weather Jen. Yesterday it was 115 in Barstow. Spyder temp showed 120 in the shade. Nonetheless, Joy & I went with my motorcycle club (American Cruisers) to dinner in Apple Valley and met up with some other Spyder buds. I made sure I hydrated myself real good before leaving home. And here's a tip to my Spyderlover buds: DO NOT TRAVEL ACROSS THE DESERT IN SHORT SLEEVES. You will dehydrate yourself too quickly. Fortunately, I follow my own advise. I also bring a quart of ice water with me in the trunk. Needed to throw the dog out first though.
    Brian I hear you about the heat; have been listening to the weather on TV at night and it's such a huge gulf from here to there. I'd probably gripe no matter the weather. Sure to get my share of sun/heat once we head back west. One good thing about having to wear both our coats, we have room for stuff now. Course once the jackets come off we will once again have the problem of making everything fit back where it belongs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Jennifer - you can have all my hot flashes! I get by on about 3 to 4 hours of sleep - night sweats - sick of them - you can have them!

And I'm growing my hair like yours!
    I hear you about the few hours of sleep Kim, I have that too on top of leg cramps. Must be from the hours with the legs in the same position. At night I constantly hop out of bed to walk around and groan. The muscles seem to lock up and not release; these are the muscles on the outsides of the calf and thigh. We both take potassium pills daily but not much else one can do. As to the hair, it's a bit much when the wind pulls it out of the braid and the helmet likes to yank it out. I've had it so long it wouldn't quite be me without it; maybe the only way some people know who I am.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    First, how about an official welcome Hated to shame you into this, and yes, we were actually able to distinguish between the two of you, but you are one of us now, and deserved to be recognized. Your posts are delightful. BTW, anybody's hair is longer than Dudley's!

Don't have many of those there in the desert, do you? Got a kick out of this. I feel the same way when I drive through the plains or desert...somebody stole all the trees! I suppose they are boring, but they make for a tranquil view. BTW, we are a bit short on cacti up here, so it all evens out.

I couldn't top that if I tried for a year. I'll quit while you're ahead.

Again, Welcome Jennifer. Looking forward to meeting you both in person real soon.
    -Scotty
    Swimmers in Main usaly are from Canada compared to the water in New Foundland it's like Miami Welcome Kjen perfect name

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kjen View Post
    I hear you about the few hours of sleep Kim, I have that too on top of leg cramps. Must be from the hours with the legs in the same position. At night I constantly hop out of bed to walk around and groan. The muscles seem to lock up and not release; these are the muscles on the outsides of the calf and thigh. We both take potassium pills daily but not much else one can do. As to the hair, it's a bit much when the wind pulls it out of the braid and the helmet likes to yank it out. I've had it so long it wouldn't quite be me without it; maybe the only way some people know who I am.
    Try drinking some tonic (mixer) with quinine in it, for the leg cramps, most tonics have quinine, my quack suggested it, and it works!

john

Spyder Garage

Today's weather promises to be better. We will travel Highway 101 from Windsor towards Port Royal, etc., hopefully making it to Halifax by tonight. The clouds are breaking as I post...I can see sky-blue for the first time in a couple of days. Nice! Well, got to pack it up and start rolling. See you all again tonight, from somewhere.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Didn't Dr. Gott suggest sleeping with a bar of soap under the sheets for leg cramps? Have no idea why it works. Must be like the Spirit Bell on the bikes.

Joy and I were in Halifax and Sydney last year on our cruise. Beautiful highways. Most of the ship passengers were bored with Sydney. We went to a lakefront town called Baddeck. Alexander Graham Bell is buried there. Absolutely stunning countryside.

What are you doing with the souvenirs?

Spyder Garage

Didn't Dr. Gott suggest sleeping with a bar of soap under the sheets for leg cramps? Have no idea why it works. Must be like the Spirit Bell on the bikes.

Joy and I were in Halifax and Sydney last year on our cruise. Beautiful highways. Most of the ship passengers were bored with Sydney. We went to a lakefront town called Baddeck. Alexander Graham Bell is buried there. Absolutely stunning countryside.

What are you doing with the souvenirs?
    Souvenirs? Who can afford those? Seriously, what could I take or send back home that I just couldn't live without? A nice sweatshirt is interesting. Other than the price there is such a short time to wear them in Jacumba; if I wait long enough some second hand store has just about anything I could want, lol, I am real cheap!

Spyder Garage

Day started out (Windsor, NS) kind of gloomy and foggy and continued to get worse. I do tend to quetion our sanity at times, SIGH. We talked to one of the locals and he said no, they hadn't got any summer yet this year, NO DUH! This as I continue seeing people walking around in shorts and sleeveless tops.
    We visited some Acadian sites which I will let Dudley tell you about because my thoughts don't seem to want to come together just yet, probably water-logged. We finally settled in Yarmouth, NS because we'd had enough of the longgg weather downer. Don't you know it cleared up and the sun shone and it was beautiful?

Oh, as to trees: yesterday we saw a sign (which I couldn't photograph due to wet weather conditions) that had pictures of trees and a child planting a small one; caption: TREES, natures air filters. SO, I guess I won't comment on lots of green stuff I saw today.

Lots of wild flowers today. Roses, lilies, purples, yellows, reds, whites.....get the pictures and see-if they come out.

Spyder Garage

Day started out (Windsor, NS) kind of gloomy and foggy and continued to get worse. I do tend to quetion our sanity at times, SIGH. We talked to one of the locals and he said no, they hadn't got any summer yet this year, NO DUH! This as I continue seeing people walking around in shorts and sleeveless tops.
    We visited some Acadian sites which I will let Dudley tell you about because my thoughts don't seem to want to come together just yet, probably water-logged. We finally settled in Yarmouth, NS because we'd had enough of the longgg weather downer. Don't you know it cleared up and the sun shone and it was beautiful?

Oh, as to trees: yesterday we saw a sign (which I couldn't photograph due to wet weather conditions) that had pictures of trees and a child planting a small one; caption: TREES, natures air filters. SO, I guess I won't comment on lots of green stuff I saw today.

Lots of wild flowers today. Roses, lilies, purples, yellows, reds, whites.....get the pictures and see-if they come out.
    Jen, As I read along in your posts, the one thing that stands out is your newfound aversion to trees... What makes this so funny is that when we went to LA for the BRP event, that was my first time crossing the desert. I made the comment to my husband that a child that grew up in some of those parts would come up here and see a tree for the first time in their life. There were absolutely no trees. My other observation came with a couple of the National Forrest signs, like the San Bernadino National Forrest. When it said we were entering the forrest I was dumbfounded. How can you have a forrest with no trees. I think that is why I love traveling this country of ours and reading about the experiences of others, you get a whole new perspective.

Continue to ride safe and enjoy, and I hope to see you in Michigan soon.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    Jen, As I read along in your posts, the one thing that stands out is your newfound aversion to trees... What makes this so funny is that when we went to LA for the BRP event, that was my first time crossing the desert. I made the comment to my husband that a child that grew up in some of those parts would come up here and see a tree for the first time in their life. There were absolutely no trees. My other observation came with a couple of the National Forrest signs, like the San Bernadino National Forrest. When it said we were entering the forrest I was dumbfounded. How can you have a forrest with no trees. I think that is why I love traveling this country of ours and reading about the experiences of others, you get a whole new perspective.

What? My forest has no trees? Damn thieves out here..even if its planted they'll steal it.

Spyder Garage

Default 7-19 Report

How can chance be so good? Tonight we got a Best Western across the street from where they had a fireworks display. Yarmouth, NS is having a Sea Fest. Was quite a display...not big, but well executed.
    Like Jennifer said, today was rather dreary, but we did see some neat things and got 194 miles in spite of. Port (Fort) Royal was a nice bit of history, as was the Melanson Settlement just down the road from Royal. This is the heart of Acadiana, where the Cajun roots came from, so the names were really cool to see.
    I am kind of dry on thoughts tonight. The churches around here a HUGH! On has a height of 185 feet (at the tip of the steeple)! Jennifer took a few pictures of some; sketchy on the details.
    Hopefully tomorrow we will reach Halifax, NS. We will be traveling Highway 103 from here to there, stopping in Pubnico, NS for some more Acadian history. The weather is supposed to be at it's best, so here's hoping.
    Last edited by Dudley; 07-19-2009 at 09:32 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

What? My forest has no trees? Damn thieves out here..even if its planted they'll steal it.
    That always tickles me about treeless forests, I have those thoughts too. Like crossing a long bridge over River....Such and Such and it's totally DRY!! This we got when first going to Tucson, AZ back in the early 90s. HUGE dry river beds. Boy we experienced a few hard rains there and those large empty areas became roaring rivers threatening to crest over the highway.
    Yes, it's a wide, wonderful continent and well worth seeing. Not sure if trying to see it in one long visit is a good thing. Everything is kind of tumbled and jumbled together in my memory; even with pictures.
    Here's to all the trees and rocks and flowers and bushes and churches and barns and cemeteries and people.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post

Oops, my apologies to everyone, I LOVE trees; would kind of prefer them in smaller doses. Saw lots of those today in various shapes and sizes, kind of sounds like some of the people too, lol. Beautiful country no matter what I say.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Registered Users Ken5517 / Wish Again's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dudley when are you due home, what day?

Spyder Garage

Pictures may be out of order for a few days. Wanted to mention the stir we caused Sunday (the 19th of July) when we drove up to a lighthouse. Saw this lighthouse with lots of exposed beach so decided to go to take a picture. Some function was going on; this discovered as we went up the dirt road to the end and backed up with other vehicles. We got swamped. The parking people waved us over so we could turn around then people surrounded us. One lady there covering the story of the fund raiser going on for the lighthouse decided she had to get lots of pictures; eventually it might make their local paper and I will post that here. The Digby Lighthouse and its waters or something by Karla Kelly. Took us a while to get out of there, folks sure were excited.

Spyder Garage

Love your blog, keep it up.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

...Wanted to mention the stir we caused Sunday (the 19th of July) when we drove up to a lighthouse. ...We got swamped....One lady there covering the story of the fund raiser going on for the lighthouse decided she had to get lots of pictures; eventually it might make their local paper... Took us a while to get out of there, folks sure were excited.

"You're not a rockstar, but you feel like one when you ride your Spyder!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    That always tickles me about treeless forests, I have those thoughts too. Like crossing a long bridge over River....Such and Such and it's totally DRY!! This we got when first going to Tucson, AZ back in the early 90s. HUGE dry river beds. Boy we experienced a few hard rains there and those large empty areas became roaring rivers threatening to crest over the highway.
    Yes, it's a wide, wonderful continent and well worth seeing. Not sure if trying to see it in one long visit is a good thing. Everything is kind of tumbled and jumbled together in my memory; even with pictures.
    Here's to all the trees and rocks and flowers and bushes and churches and barns and cemeteries and people.
    Did you know the Army at Ft Irwin has/had boats at their disposal because someone in DC noticed the lakes on a map.....they're all dry! Gotta love federal bureaucracy.

Joy & I love your blog! There will be a lot of excited people when you get back safely. Wish you had one of those trackers like Forrest had so we can see where you're at in real time.
    Last edited by Desert Spyder; 07-20-2009 at 06:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

even though you're taking the potassium pills - eat those bananas - helps me!

Enjoy your trip! Hope we can see you guys again on your way back

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Dudley and Jennifer, thanks for the great log on your adventure. I hope it is turning out to be everything you thought it would be, plus all the surprises the open road can bring.

Also, for showing everyone that it can be done. In case you have not noticed, you have almost 4 thousand views on this thread - one of the most viewed on SpyderLovers.com - and you are not even giving anything away!

I think one of the best things anyone can do on this planet is to be a good example and to encourage and help others by showing. You ( and several others on this forum ) have shown you can go anywhere, have great experiences and make the memories of a lifetime on a Spyder.

I have really enjoyed your postings and look forward to meeting you two when you get back to Arizona. ( it is not quite as interesting since you left )

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default 7-20 Reort

We had a great day today...170 miles, but where we went and what we saw and did were just awesome! Jennifer has the notes, so she will do the details. One thing, we both had our first experience with steamed lobster in the shell and we conquered! And get this...we were right across from the lobster fleet at Dennis Point, NS at the Dennis Point Cafe. Really awesome people in these parts. The cost??? A stolen $13.95 per plate for a one pound lobster, with 2 sides, AND all the tools needed to crack the shells and pick out the meat. One BIG yummy! The night before, in Yarmouth, NS we had called a restaurant and they wanted $39.95/plate!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011