Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Jennifer's Post 06-23

Ok, I lost my first posting because I hit the wrong button so now you get the short version.
    It's hot here in the desert, also very windy. I may be a bit shorter and lean to the left when the trip is over. This will be due to all the ducking down and leaning left to avoid wind; Dudley is not very big, but any wind block works for me.
    Things are a bit slower seeming than when we usually ride, but tomorrow we will start earlier and see if we can make it out of or to the Texas border. I love Texas, but it's very big. Don't tell me to pretend it's a few states, on I-10 it ALL looks the same! Oh and my feet and ankles are swollen.
    Doesn't sound like it, but I am enjoying the trip. This neck of the woods is very familiar so I am kind of ho hum about it all, beautiful, but I am anxious to see the as yet unseen.
    Lots of spyder curiosity-actually it takes quite a bit of time explaining about its features. Any time we stop there are people with comments, looks, questions; we even seem to overshadow the 2 Harleys riding with us. People are not sure where to get them so we just tell them to look on-line for a dealer. All ages are interested, just like in CA.
    No Spyder sightings other than ourselves today. Yesterday we crossed a silver Spyder that was going west; this was before Deming, NM area I think. If it was anyone reading this, please sound out.
    We are 2 hours different from our normal time zone so seem to be running behind on everything, including sleep. It is now 11:25 Texas time and we need to get some sleep.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default 10,000 Mile Journey

Just got back from a banner signing meet with Dudley and Jennifer on the west side of Houston. What a great couple! Had a nice visit and talked about Louisiana and of course the Spyder. Unfortunately, the Houston weather's not cooperating. Broke a 29 year record yesterday and probably another one today--101 ugh! In any event, they're on the way to Galveston and Winnie, Texas to possibly spend the night. I'm sure they'll post something later today. I'd certainly encourage any of you Spyder riders along their way to try and hook up with them. You'll have an enjoyable visit and you'll get to talk Spyder.

Dudley, Jennifer, y'all have a safe trip and I look forward to reading your posts.

GlynnK

Spyder Garage

Default 6-24 Ride

We left San Antonio, TX about 730 AM...it was already warm and humid. Jennifer had washed out SpyderLover's shirts by hand last night, but they were not completely dry. After starting they were dry in no time. We made good time to Houston, met Glynn and had a great visit and signing of the banner. As planned, we took Hwy 6 South to Galveston, and took several pictures there. Some very impressive architecture in that town. We croosed over to the Bolivar Peninsula by ferry, then on to Winnie, TX where it was the end of the line for today. The heat and humidity whipped us up a bit, especially since we had a lot of stop and go on Hwy 6 and in Galveston, and on the Bolivar. Total miles for today, 307.

Tomorrow we plan on leaving about 11 AM and riding to Lake Arthur, LA. Our original plan to follow the Louisiana coast has been cancelled. We will use one of our "free" days, probably Friday to ride down to Cameron, LA and view what the hurricane did there.
    Last edited by Dudley; 06-24-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

You go! I can't wait to meet you and Jennifer!

Spyder Garage

Default Jennifer's Post 06-24

Another day. Started out at 7:20 AM and 78 degrees; may be different than Dudley's info because ours never seem to jive. Anyway, no wind today! The mountains are gone and since this is TX hill country, that's kind of what we saw; although some tree and brush covered it's kind of hard to tell. Seen it lots of times, take my word for it, the hills are there. Smelled kind of funky, sort of propane, sulfur and oil all mixed up together-not too many miles worth. Met Glynn outside of Houston, TX for a banner signing and plain old get together. That was a vey pleasant almost 2 hours. Turns out we are kind of from the same town of Scott, LA. The pictures of the signing were taken by a very nice spectator I co-erced into service. Of course we chatted with him too. Lots of excited chatter from the Wendy's staff and others; always funny because you know it's coming.
    Off to Galveston, now that was humid and hot and humid and hard. Good thing we get gas often (to avoid any dead areas) because we sure seem to tank up our bodies a lot this trip. 15 minute ride on the ferry and we were able to see quite a few dolphins and large ships.
    Once across we viewed the beach area. Hard to tell if it's from hurricane Ike a few years back or just general wear and tear of the climate or neglect or some other things. Lots of building going on, lots of empty pilings that must have houses at one time.
    Pelicans we saw plenty of, could I get a good picture? NOPE darn things wouldn't keep still. Real cool the way the swarm (?) of them take off together then form a serpentine, dipping line and scoop the water. Anyway, finally done with the beach and headed down the road. Landed in Winnie, TX for cool off and food and decided it was a good place to stop, so, here we sit.
    Got body and hair washed, washed t-shirts and made coffee.
    Enough, I know. It was all fun. Will be having a few days of rest from hard riding once we get to Louisiana tomorrow.
    Enjoy meeting people on the road, so come on fellow spyders, where are you? Maybe they live elsewhere, or WORK! Anyway, later.
    Last edited by Dudley; 06-24-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Smelled kind of funky, sort of propane, sulfur and oil all mixed up together-not too many miles worth..
    Thats money u smell!

Spyder Garage

Having fun yet? Hows the weather?

Spyder Garage

Hey Dudley
    Are you and jennifer going to be passing through Pensacola, FL on your journey. If so let me know and we can set up a meet. i will PM you with my contact number
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you are having a great time !

Can't wait to meet you when you get to Lafayette, get some boudin at the Best Stop !!

See you then !!!
    2009 Full Moon SE5, Sport Rack, Back Rest, Fog Lights, Hindle, Kuryakyn handlebar accents, Kuryakyn chrome brake pedals X 2, brake caliper trim, just getting started

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you guys are having a good time!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Glad to hear you guys are having a good time!

Spyder Garage

Default 6-25 Ride

Today was kind of HoHum. Left Winnie, TX leisurely at 10 AM, took Hwy 73 to Port Arthur, TX, went through Port Arthur, Groves, Bridge City, etc. until we reached I-10. Didn't take long until we reached the Louisiana line. Out of Texas at last!!!!! Stayed on I-10 until Lafayette, LA and Honda of Lafayette. My old employer and good friend, Mike (the owner) took us to eat at Don's Seafood. Jennifer had some fried catfish and I had Cajun Catfish. What's the difference? Her's was all fried and mine was in a good Cajun Gravy over white rice! Yea, it was goooood! We stayed at the dealers for a bit after and just visited. The weather was over 100, the humidity was 93%. We are staying at my cousin's house and she has an older computer that I will have to figure out how to download some pics, or find a place tomorrow with WiFi and we will use our laptop.
    Last edited by Dudley; 06-25-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Jennifer's Post 6-25

Today off at 10 AM and 78 degrees. Gassed up and headed down the road.......There will hopefully be pictures of a few bridges and things we did/saw today once we get to a place where I can input pictures onto my laptop; this computer belongs to Dudley's cousin- no wifi I can use.
    Anyone know that song by Mac Davis way back when "Happiness is Lubbuck TX", well happy day, we finally got out of TX and crossed the Louisiana (LA) state line!
    I think this is pretty much the first day we actually had sweat running down face and beading up on the hands; humid and then some.
    Nice surprise, no plop, plop, plop sounds that usually occur when driving on LA roads; perchance it's only on the interstate?
    Saw our friend Mike Roberts owner of HONDA OF LAFAYETTE (yep, that's a free plug for him, lol) and went out to eat. For those who may know how much I like and am capable of eating I took pictures to share of the before and after contrast. Lots of talk and looking backs like "remember when...." We stayed a few hours there at the shop after returning from eating. OK, time to go visit Dudley's cousin waiting for us in Lake Arthur, LA.
    Not much about todays' trip, it was warm, lots of green, flat, swampy areas, fields, oil refineries... Good night.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks so much for the postings. Wish I was along on my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Dudley, it sounds like you are having a fairly nice trip so far. Keep riding safe and may you be blessed with good weather. I am enjoying reading your blog in contrast to posting to my own...LOL
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Dudley and Jennifer... I'm enjoying your tale as you travel. Keep it up. Texas is a little on the BIG size, isn't it?
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default 6-26 Ride

Today was a short one. We left Lake Arthur and rode to Kaplan, LA on LA 14. Had some nice visits with friends and took some pictures, then went to Rayne, LA on LA 35 and visited a cousin. Tomorrow is the first, First Cousin Reunion of our families and we're all looking forward to see how old we have all become.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Jennifer's Post 6-26

Well, I'm not sure which pictures Dudley posted because I haven't had time to check. Today was nice and leisurely from start to finish. Took off down the country road-talking rice fields, crayfish ponds, rice dryers, cat tails, bugs....nice and refreshing, oh, and humid!
    Lots of talking with people Dudley graduated high schools with; boudin and beer for lunch and it don't get too much better than that. Having crawfish etouffe, fried catfish and shrimp for supper; plumping up for the famine times once we get out of Louisiana. Catch ya'll tomorrow sometime after Dudley's reunion.
    Last edited by Dudley; 07-04-2009 at 08:23 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Reunion

We had a good turnout for the reunion..2 had to work and 2 were sick. Not bad, as the youngest was 45 years old and the oldest was 72! Tomorrow we start with our visiting of the rest of our friends and family. As it stands we are probably going to start on the road again Thursday or Friday.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Jennifer's Post 6-27

I know, we are supposed to be riding, but we are taking a break here, after Louisiana there won't be this much sitting around!
    I think I can actually say I have reached the "I've eaten it all stage"! Man, one good meal after another, just so much food needs eating.
    Dudley's reunion was interesting. 22 bodies out of a possible 40ish so we figure the turn out was pretty good. Expenses were covered and pick up a breeze. What? That's not what ya'll want to hear about? Oh, the food! Groan. Wonderful jambalya, shrimp this and that, sausage pasta yummy, 7 layer salad, boudin, etouffe; sure wished I had room in the trunk to take some of all of the dishes. Dessert was there too, but I think I don't want to talk about that.
    Had a bit of excitment. Reunion co-ordinator (Cuz Caroldine) tripped and fell..During the dinner we had to call the EMT and she was rushed to ER (why that name when it takes hours is beyond me), released later on with not too much wrong-won't go into details, but she will be fine but bruised.
    Lovely pictures of oak trees today which will be posted as soon as I get to a WIFI setup area hopefully tomorrow. Thanks to all out there and we will be on the road meeting some of you soon enough.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Jennifer's Post 06-28

Now in Franklin, LA and still no WIFI to input pictures. Uneventful day as far as reporting goes. Lots of short visits to old friends and some family; lots of catching up in short bursts. Maybe 12 rain "drops" today, don't think we imagined them.
    Took a break and didn't eat today until supper around 6PM. Wrapping things up and settling in a new place for a few days. Trying to contact and co-ordinate meeting with 2 other spyders and their riders. Sure getting enough rest- will be so lazy it may be hard to stay in the saddle. I'm thinking we won't have iron butts, just sore and flat ones.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default 6-29 Recap

Today we visited Jennifer's aunt in Eunice, LA. We FINALLY got rained on...well the Spyder got slammed! We left Eunice about 3 PM, just ahead of some thunder clouds and got a few sprinkles. South of Lafayette, LA, going south back to Franklin on US-90, the sky was quite active with vertical lightning, so we pulled into a Quick Stop on the south end of New Iberia, LA until the lightning stopped. Well, I am sure glad we did! When the rain got to the store, visibilty was less than 100 yards and the flags were horizontal. It just poured! We were dry, but the Spyder got its first ever rainfall, and boy did it. After a bit over an hour, the rain and wind reached a point where we could proceed to Franklin, 27 miles away. The Spyder cranked up without hesitation and we rode on. Compared to how I always felt on 2 wheelers, this ride was beautiful. Spyder stayed true on a road that was very lumpy with quite a number of standing water spots. A very impressive machine once again.
    We have several pictures to post, but can't until we get where we can use our laptop!
    Last edited by Dudley; 06-29-2009 at 08:38 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Jennifer's Post 06-29

Sitting around is kind of fun, sure looking forward to riding again. We are riding; here and there and back, ready to be long distance again.
    Visited with my aunt today and we had a nice chat; she's about all I have as family (her kids too) left to bring me to LA.
    Tomorrow we will be meeting with a few spyder riders from the area to sign the banner. YIPPEEE! almost thought we were dreaming about doing this run but we're getting back into the groove of other spyders. When we stopped for the rain deluge Dudley posted about, we caused quite a stir with our "contraption". Today was sugar cane fields, cemeteries and wide open-spaced housing. Interesting thunder and lightening there for a while. Nice to visit with it, but glad we don't get too much of that kind of stuff back home.
    Catch up tomorrow, time for bed. Night all.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default 6-30 Recap

Not much happened today. Our camera's battery decided to electrocute itself. So, today has no pics. Had a good visit with my 82 year old mother, then had a banner signing at 6 PM with The Breeze, StarTraveler649, and q-brrr, then went to eat at the Evangeline Steakhouse. I had a fried catfish and shrimp plate. Yea, it's time to start riding again! My stomach is working overtime! Picked up a battery from Walmart, getting it charged, so camera will be up and running tomorrow.
    Last edited by Dudley; 06-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Jennifer's Post 06-30

Another day, more food.
    Lovely visit with Dudley's mom in the country. Lots of marshy smells and plants and little green frogs and grass.
    Go figure the camera goes out on us, you need a picture of you and your mom over and above anything else. Thank goodness for cell phones. New battery so tomorrow should be better for pictures.
    Speaking of pictures. Today was banner signing with Alvin, Kathy, Frank, Becky and Lyle-good thing they had cameras or we would only have the memory of the action. If The Breeze gets the photos uploaded everyone can see our happy faces. Could even show you our over-loaded plates, but we all get the pictures.
    Very nice meeting everyone and sharing stories and information. Food enters in quite often (thanks so much Alvin & Kathy), but it's more the company that we look forward to. Didn't talk to Frank too much; just couldn't stretch and get to us all (good thing there wasn't too many of us, lol)!
    I like old cemeteries and Becky shared something she read about: little houses (death houses) on top of graves. Anyone know anything about this I would love to hear.
    Lyle was extremely helpful and make sure to notice the plug for the motorsports once the pictures are up. Thank bunches.
    Last edited by Dudley; 07-01-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011