Spyder Garage

Default Driver backrest brackets

Trying to determine if the brackets that come with the Show Chrome 41 308 backrest are solid once fitted.On the vid it appears to collapse back with the dudes weight on it.Given that some of these vids are often more about the sell than reality maybe it was only loosely bolted up by someone that hasn't a clue and it would indeed be ok.Can those with one fitted please advise.
    I've watched the vids on Lamonsters version that comes with a different bracket and BRP's version that is slightly different again.These two don't show any force being applied to replicate pushing back against it so I don't know whether they are solidly mounted either to be honest, but the different brackets have me wondering is it just a point of difference thing or genuine improvement.
    Show Chrome is half the price of the other two out here so worth the effort to determine suitability.Thanks for any feedback.can-am-spyder-f3-quick-detach-backrest-with-removable-storage-pouch-show-chrome-accessories-main.jpg
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't have one …… but what you just said about how the bracket works doesn't make any sense. A few drivers backrests that I have seen they fold forward, to make it easier for the passenger …… I would re-read the directions ……………….jmho …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't have one …… but what you just said about how the bracket works doesn't make any sense. A few drivers backrests that I have seen they fold forward, to make it easier for the passenger …… I would re-read the directions ……………….jmho …. good luck …. Mike
    I know they fold forward to let the pillion get on and off it's the leaning back on it that I want to find out about.Check this guy at the 4:18 mark, thing looks like its too flexible to be of any use to me or are they all like that?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0_Z5mRRic

Spyder Garage

I have Lamonsters , works great.
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

that design is bad. Ultimate Seats makes much better one. strong mount and much fewer moving parts and installation.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Ultimate one is much stronger and can be pulled out easily to remove it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I bought and installed the Show Chrome 41 308 backrest. Used it for one day and tossed it. Bought the BRP backrest (now selling for $330) and absolutely love it. Only way to go.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I love my BRP backrest!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Awesome, thanks guys think I'll give the Showchrome unit the flick.Lamonster or stock will be the go.
    Got quoted A$795 (US$600) for the stock backrest, gave the assembled customers a laugh at the parts counter.Parts guy had a witty comeback of A$650 which received a low mumble from the audienceLeft them with a 'I'll think about it' as I contemplated my chances in the classifieds.

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP backrest and would not have bought it (for the price) except it came on the bike when I bought it used. I did change the bracket to an adjustable one. I like it alot. I have had backrests on all my bikes for the last 30+ years and would not be without one. It's not a matter of how hard I lean aginst them because I don't lean back very hard. They just add a little extra comfort and a more secure feeling when riding..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Awesome, thanks guys think I'll give the Showchrome unit the flick.Lamonster or stock will be the go.
    Got quoted A$795 (US$600) for the stock backrest, gave the assembled customers a laugh at the parts counter.Parts guy had a witty comeback of A$650 which received a low mumble from the audienceLeft them with a 'I'll think about it' as I contemplated my chances in the classifieds.
    Try Ebay. I bought a BRP backrest for $330 USD ($466 Aussie dollars) from a Spyder dealer in Byron, Georgia, USA. I'm sure they'll ship overseas. Worth a try.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I put a Utopia on my BRP comfort RT Seat. Works very well, and easy install. No complaints, solid, and reasonably priced.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I got a Big Bike Parts 41-168A >CLICK ME< and just used three parts to mount it in my Utopia seat with a couple screws to hold it in. I wanted it low to facilitate mounting the bike with my bad knees. You really don't want a backrest that's solid. It should have some give to it and should also pivot on the mount a bit. Mine fits the bill for cheap.

seat2.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I got a Big Bike Parts 41-168A >CLICK ME< and just used three parts to mount it in my Utopia seat with a couple screws to hold it in. I wanted it low to facilitate mounting the bike with my bad knees. You really don't want a backrest that's solid. It should have some give to it and should also pivot on the mount a bit. Mine fits the bill for cheap.

seat2.jpg
    Hmmm interesting I just assumed the padding would supply the give to make it comfortable and when the aches set in I could push back against it for a bit of relief. You don't agree Rattlebars?

Spyder Garage

Default Update

So after weighing up all options I had the chance to grab a Big Bike Parts backrest (same as the Showchrome version) for a song from the Amazon warehouse returns guys.
    Tentatively opened the box on arrival and yay nothing missing all packaging intact.So far so good,promptly fitted the unit to the bike and found the slightest amount of rearward give that is from the plastic mounting surface its affixed to very minor so no drama.Where the most play comes from is dependant on the adjustment bolts that determine the tightness of the fittings for removal of the backrest if required.If you want to leave it on permanently do the bolts up tight and it's very solid or the slightest amount of play in the removable mode.
    In the video the bolts may have been too loose and/or the backrest partially folded forward before the guys climbs on to give the excess movement shown.
    Test ride results are...…….. the thing annoyed me permanently poking me in the back and passenger room is a bit compromised as well.My plan is to pull it out of the frunk when I need it on the longer trips.Not a fault of the unit itself but reality of shoving a slab of foam in that location.
    So to Amazon returns, cost me A$280 v Lamonster A$435 v Can AmA$650.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm interesting I just assumed the padding would supply the give to make it comfortable and when the aches set in I could push back against it for a bit of relief. You don't agree Rattlebars?
    Test ride results are...…….. the thing annoyed me permanently poking me in the back and passenger room is a bit compromised as well.My plan is to pull it out of the frunk when I need it on the longer trips.Not a fault of the unit itself but reality of shoving a slab of foam in that location.
    So to Amazon returns, cost me A$280 v Lamonster A$435 v Can AmA$650.
    The link I provided shows the BBP backrest I used at $162. The padding provides little in the way of give, the bracket serves to provide more in the way of give which is the same as the seat back "give" keeping it aligned with said seat back which alleviates the poking. You need to mount it and align it with the seat back so it acts as an extension of same. As for the passenger. I never have one but should I, I can remove the lateral bolt that mounts the pad onto the bracket and it provides room once the pad removed. As for the mount, I have it in the slot of a Utopia Seat. Still don't know what seat you have. Riding for just an hour on the stock seat caused pain that lingered for the rest of the day. Whoever designed the OEM seat so that the edge of the seat back is directly at the belt line of your trousers offering no lumbar support whatsoever should be fired. Again, the back rest needs aligned with the seat back for best comfort and the "give" commensurate with seat back "give".
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey