Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st oil change

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    Your TBN (Total Base Number) of is not going to change/lower one iota while engine is just sitting, as NO NEW ACIDS are added to the oil from combustion. As long as your TBN is high enough whilst sitting (i.e. change your oil at recommended MILEAGE intervals) , it is a basic truism that there is NO deterioration of internal engine components - plain & simple!
    What do you think happens to the acids that are currently in the oil? I agree that the TBN will not change but the amount in the oil already from running it will affect the engine over time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    What do you think happens to the acids that are currently in the oil? I agree that the TBN will not change but the amount in the oil already from running it will affect the engine over time.
    The oil is CONSTANTLY mixed when engine is running, so it not like the acids are at the very bottom (or top) of the crankcase, and over time (just sitting) mix in & deteriorate the oil! - THINK about it!

So the bottom line is that whatever both the pH & TBN of the oil is, when you shut off your engine is what it will be if it sits for a whole year. Kind of like a "suspended animation".

Spyder Garage

It’s not a question of the oil breaking down in 3,500 miles/1 year. Instead it is a matter of the oil likely being diluted by water vapor (a normal byproduct of combustion), as well as the potential for oil sludging to take place.

The problem with a vehicle that logs low miles in 1 year is that–in most cases–those miles are accumulated mostly with short-distance local driving. That type of driving does not allow the engine and the oil to become hot enough to evaporate the water vapor, and the oil becomes diluted over time.

The process of dilution of the oil, coupled with an engine running on a richer than normal mixture when it is not fully warmed-up, can create the perfect storm for the formation of sludge, internal corrosion, and resulting engine damage.

So..... if you only take a few trips a year that DON'T have VERY short trips, your oil will be fine for many years!

https://community.cartalk.com/t/does...-hours/66042/2

Spyder Garage

Boring, Oil threads always end up like this. Get a quality oil which I think they are all nowadays and change at recommended intervals and you will be just fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    Boring, Oil threads always end up like this. Get a quality oil which I think they are all nowadays and change at recommended intervals and you will be just fine.
    *** OR *** do oil analysis at the point oil is "recommended" (MILEAGE-wise!) to be changed at, and go from there. You will likely be (pleasantly) surprised that you oil is PERFECTLY fine, and you can DOUBLE (at least) your oil change interval! I did this with my 1998 Jetta TDI (turbo diesel), and went from 10K changes to 20K mile changes. My son is still using said vehicle, and it runs GREAT at 265K miles or so.

Spyder Garage

Related to the oil filter- Anyone find a decent way to get to the bolt hidden under the steering arm and hose? Its 8 mm or T25 or 30. Almost to 3,000 But this bolt may convince me to go further before changing.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I came to this thread in hopes of finding some info on how to access the drain bolts on a Rally but all I got was an argument between two people who are sure they are right. I DON'T CARE....
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

My first oil change was at 6,000. I just changed oil, gear box oil and final drive oil at 12,000. Since the manual is not clear I took it as 6,000. In my opinion they are trying to give business to dealers that might not be necessary. I did not change the o rings even though I had new ones. Unless there pinched they last quite awhile, but that is just me. Others will have different points of view.

Spyder Garage

I always change my oil according to owner's manual. I don't like to throw away cash if I don't have to. You can change the oil every week if you want to, if that makes you happy but why? Today's oil is not same as oil we used 10 year or 5 years ago. Both my wife and my car first recommended oil change is 20000 miles. I know some people who owns same car will change their oil 3K, more power to them.

As per the OP I will try to make video of my first oil change and post it here, but you may have to wait while I only have 3000 miles on it.

Spyder Garage

I tried an open end 8mm wrench from the front, under the steering linkage. It broke loose easily. I got the impression that you could screw the bolt out the rest of the way with your fingers. I didn't go any further though. I'm not going to change my oil until it's time for it's winter nap. (4,000 miles?)