Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st oil change

Spyder Garage

Default 1st oil change

The owner's manual is not clear. How many miles until the 1st required oil change ? Manual says 3000 miles for inspection but is not clear on whether inspection includes an oil change? It looks like 1st oil change is 6000 miles which seems uncomfortably long. Does anybody have the official word from Can Am?

Spyder Garage

Agreed, the owner/operator manual is very vague on the maintenance intervals, and the info is spread throughout the manual instead of being condensed into a traditional table format. Another thing to note is that you need to refer to the online manuals as the de-facto reference, and NOT the printed version that came with the bike. You can find the updated manuals here: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx Click on the top-left menu and select "Roadster", and then drill down from there.

My shop agreed that the 6000 interval listed in the manual is a little bizarre. I always change the oil in my new bikes long before the first "official" interval... usually around 300-800 miles, depending on the engine type. After that, it's every 3K for larger motors, and 1.5-2K for smaller motors.

I sent mine back to the dealer to have the sway bar installed, and I asked them to go ahead and do the first oil change at ~600 miles. I will return at 3000 and then every 3K for the next few changes (while under warranty). After that, I will be doing all of the maintenance at 3K intervals.

One thing to note about the oil changes. My Rally stunk of burning oil like crazy after its first change. I took it back to the dealer the following day and asked them to fix my stinky bike. Apparently, the tray under the motor can catch a LOT of oil spillage during the maintenance, and mine had almost a half-quart or more slinging around under there. The tech that did my service didn't realize that there was a lot in there, and it was blowing up onto the manifold and lower engine case... smoking and stinking like crazy. They had to pull the lower tray and completely degrease everything under there. It still stinks after another 600 miles, but it's tolerable.

Here is the breakdown of the oil service parts and fees:
    $ 3.59 420552280 O-RING
    $ 2.59 420950141 RING-SEALING
    $14.39 420956123 FILTER-OIL
    $41.36 779133 OIL 4T 5W40 SYNTH BLEND QT (x4)
    $ 9.99 420230920 O-RING
    --------
    $71.92 Parts total
    $74.80 0.8 hr SHOP LABOR
    ====
    $146.72 TOTAL

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

While I am normally loathe to recommend oil change intervals more frequently than the manufacturer recommendations, the 6,000 mile or one year, whichever comes first as shown on pg 91 of the operator's guide does seem like a long stretch for that first oil change. Then too, a first inspection list of to-dos does not appear in the operator's guide that I can find. The 1330 ACE engine in the '14 and later RTs calls for break-in inspection, which includes an oil/filter change, at 3,000 miles. Were I in your boots I'd have the oil and filter changed at 3K and then go to the 6K/1 year schedule. You might run the idea by your dealer, but I'm certain they'd be more than willing to lighten your wallet sufficiently through a 3K oil change. You might also ask them to provide you a traceable to BRP list of what is supposed to be done in the first inspection. They must have one somewhere as they are introducing a brand new vehicle to the public and dealerships.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Lamonster charges the same price for the parts (including the oil).
    BajaRon charges $12 for the parts (not including the oil).
    Walmart sells the oil for $19 per gallon.

I think I may let the shop handle the first one with the maintenance and do the rest of them myself.

Spyder Garage

Sad the manual is not clear on the procedure. 6K miles does seem a bit on the long side for that first one.

Upside: you will not damage anything by doing it earlier.

Maybe BRP Care will chime in with an "official" answer? They read the threads here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First oil change - IMHO 98% of all the manufacturing DEBRIS is going to show up in the Oil in the first few hundred miles. I have treated every combustion engine I have ever owed - like it needed to last at least 250,000 miles …. so far this has not been a dis-appointment ….. good luck with yours …. Mike

Spyder Garage

I just got off the phone with the service department at a local Can-Am dealer, Flat Out Motorsports here in Indianapolis. The official Can-Am 1st oil change is at 6000 miles. The 3000 mile inspection is scheduled for one hour and their rate per hour is $150. Ouch!

Spyder Garage

I have been surprised at the number of Ryker Oil Filter Kits I have been selling. For the relatively small number of Rykers out there, and the short time they have been in service. I didn't really expect to sell any filter kits at all right away.

Of course, there are a number of possibilities. People just wanting to have filter kits on hand, wanting to change to their favorite lubricant right away, etc. And maybe a few already have 6,000 miles on their Ryker. But it does appear that some may not be waiting for the prescribed mileage to elapse before doing an oil & filter service on their Ryker.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have been surprised at the number of Ryker Oil Filter Kits I have been selling. For the relatively small number of Rykers out there, and the short time they have been in service. I didn't really expect to sell any filter kits at all right away.

Of course, there are a number of possibilities. People just wanting to have filter kits on hand, wanting to change to their favorite lubricant right away, etc. And maybe a few already have 6,000 miles on their Ryker. But it does appear that some may not be waiting for the prescribed mileage to elapse before doing an oil & filter service on their Ryker.
    Regardless of reason, it's good for business. Glad to see you are ready for the orders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am hoping that somebody makes a video of the oil change process. I would like to see it in action beyond what the manual shows.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've seen a few, check U-tube …….But maybe not for a RYKER - yet ..….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've seen a few, check U-tube ……...….. Mike
    For a Ryker? That is what he was asking about. I just looked and did not see one to point to.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I just got off the phone with the service department at a local Can-Am dealer, Flat Out Motorsports here in Indianapolis. The official Can-Am 1st oil change is at 6000 miles. The 3000 mile inspection is scheduled for one hour and their rate per hour is $150. Ouch!
    I enjoy going to Maximum Powersports in Peru - probably 30 miles from Flatout. They have a good maintenance person and much more reasonable labor rates. I have only been there once but they are my go to dealer and I live in Bloomington.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by al0vely View Post
    I enjoy going to Maximum Powersports in Peru - probably 30 miles from Flatout. They have a good maintenance person and much more reasonable labor rates. I have only been there once but they are my go to dealer and I live in Bloomington.
    I just scheduled service work at Maximum Power Sports - I live in Warsaw, IN. Quoted $80/hour. Getting tires and oil change. Glad to see this recommendation. While I'm there I'll visit an old friend and attend the NCI Hamfest. A day in Peru!

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    The owner's manual is not clear. How many miles until the 1st required oil change ? Manual says 3000 miles for inspection but is not clear on whether inspection includes an oil change? It looks like 1st oil change is 6000 miles which seems uncomfortably long. Does anybody have the official word from Can Am?
    When I picked up my 600, they said 1st oil change at 3,800 miles.

Spyder Garage

BTW: We recently got an RV with a Powerstroke 3.2L inline 5 engine. Normal oil change intervals are every 10,000 miles. The very 1st oil change is recommended to be at 10,000 miles.

The bottom line, is that the days of the 1st oil change at 500 or 1,000 miles is gone.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to do the first one at 500 miles and then do yearly after that. Of course you are free to do what you want.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    I'm going to do the first one at 500 miles and then do yearly after that. Of course you are free to do what you want.
    Not telling you what to do at all, but TIME does not affect oil life. Only actual miles. I always go by miles, even if it takes 2 or 3 years to get there!

Try oil analysis after a year & after less than recommended miles. You'll see.

Spyder Garage

I change the oil in everything each fall that way it's ready to go in the Spring. Mowers, generators, motorcycles etc. Cars and truck I go by mileage.

Spyder Garage

I change the oil in everything each fall that way it's ready to go in the Spring. Mowers, generators, motorcycles etc. Cars and truck I go by mileage.
    I haven't changed our riding mower oil in maybe 7 years since we got it. Runs fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    I haven't changed our riding mower oil in maybe 7 years since we got it. Runs fine.
    My Zero Turn riding mower was almost $3k so I take care of it.

Spyder Garage

My Zero Turn riding mower was almost $3k so I take care of it.
    I do too. But unless one has 10 acres to mow...

Spyder Garage

I do too. But unless one has 10 acres to mow...
    Exactly what I have, 10 acres, but only mow probably 3

Spyder Garage

Take off 2 bolts under, take off filter, Drain Oil, Put bolts back on, put new filter on, add oil (See Manual for amount).

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Not telling you what to do at all, but TIME does not affect oil life. Only actual miles. I always go by miles, even if it takes 2 or 3 years to get there!

Try oil analysis after a year & after less than recommended miles. You'll see.
    Most OEMs and oil companies would disagree with you as would oil analysis results upon which the recommendations are based. Time does matter. Combustion products cause acids to form over time. These do damage to metals.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame