Spyder Garage

Default Spyder and Ryker test rides

Well I went for test rides on 2 Spyders and a Ryker 600 last Friday.
    Rides were only over a short distance but did include a run on the freeway, due to traffic less than 60mph though.
    First time riding on 3 wheels (except for the outfit I owned many years ago).
    First rode the Ryker which was great fun. It had a nervy on edge feel about it and I enjoyed it immensely. I did think by the end of the run I would probably like a few more horses especially with a pillion so I am keen to ride the 900 Rally.
    Found the cvt to be a bit vocal at times but once you were up to speed I didn't notice it at all. It certainly didn't annoy me.
    Very easy to ride and could concentrate on what not to do like grabbing for the front brake lever. Brakes felt good although a little soft but worked fine.
    Seemed to have been setup well by the dealer as I didn't have any wandering (unintentional that is) or skipping about.
    One thing that did concern me was the price of the accessories. $1,300 for the maxi rack and pillion seat. I would definitely opt for the sway bar too. Add a few more things and I can buy a superseded F3 S. 3 year warranty on the F3 too opposed to 1 year for the Ryker. No option to extend on either out here apparently.

Next I rode a new F3L and wow that was like a limo. Very easy to get up to and past the speed limit whereas I had no trouble keeping within it on the Ryker. They didn't have a F3 S for me to ride which is really what I wanted to try. The F3L was nicely planted not nervy at all and I felt right at home. Steering was superb. It seemed to handle the corners with less fuss than the Ryker as well but this is all new to me.

Had the opportunity to take a ride on a 2010 RS SE5 with 27k miles on the clock on the way home and enjoyed that immensely too. Has a pretty good service history and didn't seem to have anything obviously wrong other than normal wear and tear.

Still trying to decide what is right for me as I wouldn't be disappointed with any of them.
    If affordable I would like a F3 S just not sure I can afford one as yet.
    I have though expanded my search for the ideal beast to include the RS and there is a 2013 RSS with 13k miles on it for sale further up north that looks the goods and has cruise.

Money saved on the RS S buys a lot of fuel and servicing!
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well glennm looks like your going about your shopping the right way Hope you find something but no rush keep looking and trying them; one day you will find a deal you can't pass up.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Your ride report mirrors my thoughts on a comparison.I bought a left over F3s while waiting for a test run on a 600 for my wife.Still waiting for Rykers to turn up here.In a way I am hoping she doesn't like the Ryker and decides the F is the one for her.
    From all reports if the Ryker were for me I wouldn't be happy with the lack of gears to play with,less hp,on edge feel,less storage,no fuel economy gain and just generally scaling back of everything to get to the price point that as you say is non existant in reality.
    To get my F3s to steer properly it needed aligning, rear shock replacing for two up and backrest added to keep passengers safe.
    Would have considered a used F3s if one were available locally,no warranty being the only compromise but balanced out by no dealer servicing bill if you do it yourself. These are selling for 600 Ryker prices.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

You did right by testing the different rydes.

Accessories have always been high...because they can. The profit margin on the accessories makes extra for the dealers. Both at the time of sale and later.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks CopperSpyder just waiting on a call back about the RSS. Apparently just been serviced and I am assuming correctly as they are a can-am dealer.
    Was a bit concerned about maintenance costs on the 990 but after more reading not so worried about it. I am happy to do my own oil changes as I already do on our other out of warranty vehicles.
    Just have to be sure to keep the revs up on it! Too use to diesels over the past decade.
    Must say I was very happy (and relieved) I liked the rydes as I have always admired the Spyders and don't see any other sensible option for me as I get older.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Your ride report mirrors my thoughts on a comparison.I bought a left over F3s while waiting for a test run on a 600 for my wife.Still waiting for Rykers to turn up here.In a way I am hoping she doesn't like the Ryker and decides the F is the one for her.
    From all reports if the Ryker were for me I wouldn't be happy with the lack of gears to play with,less hp,on edge feel,less storage,no fuel economy gain and just generally scaling back of everything to get to the price point that as you say is non existant in reality.
    To get my F3s to steer properly it needed aligning, rear shock replacing for two up and backrest added to keep passengers safe.
    Would have considered a used F3s if one were available locally,no warranty being the only compromise but balanced out by no dealer servicing bill if you do it yourself. These are selling for 600 Ryker prices.
    It was actually your announcement of getting the F3 Daytona at an amazing price that started me thinking in that direction. Up here (Gold Coast/Brisbane) they still want 4k more than you paid for a Daytona or 2k more for a F3 S. They don't seem to want to budge on price.

AK you are right about the accessories and really I shouldn't have been surprised as no matter what you buy there is always the upsell. In this case poverty pack won't work for me on the Ryker as my daughters like to come along and one day hopefully the grandkids.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennm View Post
    It was actually your announcement of getting the F3 Daytona at an amazing price that started me thinking in that direction. Up here they still want 4k more than you paid for a Daytona or 2k more for a F3 S. They don't seem to want to budge on price.

AK you are right about the accessories and really I shouldn't have been surprised as no matter what you buy there is always the upsell. In this case poverty pack won't work for me on the Ryker as my daughters like to come along and one day hopefully the grandkids.
    Peter Stevens had a Daytona for 19k just after i bought mine so even cheaper,not sure if he still has it or not can't see the ad anywhere so may be sold.My dealer said he would match any advertised price Australia wide and he did.He also had and still has an new old stock F3 base model manual transmission 2016 I could have bought but opted for the Daytona instead.Might be a bargain even with shipping to your place.PM me for details if interested.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Peter Stevens had a Daytona for 19k just after i bought mine so even cheaper,not sure if he still has it or not can't see the ad anywhere so may be sold.My dealer said he would match any advertised price Australia wide and he did.He also had and still has an new old stock F3 base model manual transmission 2016 I could have bought but opted for the Daytona instead.Might be a bargain even with shipping to your place.PM me for details if interested.
    Thanks Cobwebs appreciate the offer. Pretty much decided on the auto and cruise now if possible.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Decided to look at RS/RS S's as well as the prices seem pretty good at the moment providing me with an opportunity to move to 3 wheels sooner. Looked at 2 last Friday. 1st one I didn't even bother riding as the previous owner butchered it and I am fairly sure it had a front end biff. He had taken to the plastcs with a dremel to fit led indicators and made a very poor job of it and ground off the pillion footpegs. Also part of the rear guard was missing and a non standard brake light fitted. Turned up to ride the 2nd (2013) and low and behold a demo Ryker Rally is sitting in the dealer driveway, wooohooo! I had been told by 2 other dealers no-one had them! Rode the RSS while they got the Ryker ready (they had been playing swapsies with the panels). Discovered my hip does not like the riding position on the RSS so it is out of the picture even though it appeared to be well looked after. I hadn't noticed this though when I rode an earlier model RS. Regardless I have decided something with u-fit is the best way to go so F3 S or Ryker. The Rally felt more planted than the 600 I rode and didn't seem to move about with changes in road surfaces anywhere as much and not as much lean in the corners. Could just be I was in a different area in town so a different route was taken and this time no opportunity to get onto a highway. First time I have seen the Rally in the flesh and I loved the beefier suspension and tyres so was sold on looks. The sound from the standard exhaust was also pleasant to the ear. Saving my pennies for the Rally I think.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac