Spyder Garage

Default About time Spring makes a slow arrival

Going to break the bike out of storage finally today. Early for most in Upstate but I don't mind cold as long as
    white stuff isn't present. Ordered new tires finally for the front; VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 175/55R15. Previous stocks
    have made it to 30k+ since 07/15 but started having cupping/wobbles last fall so time to go.

Wife wanted me to replace the seat...until I gave her price tags north of $700 so that upgrade will be skipped.
    Wife also wants me to look at some decals/vinyl...figure the white color makes for a good backdrop to anything
    so I am shopping again today. Any recommendations/tips? I know I won't be doing the install so probably a good
    body shop or such. Familial tremors says it is not something I should try. Lol.

Next step is to see if the dealership that had replaced my rear tire(Altimax) will do the same for me on my fronts.
    Hate the dealership but others would NOT do it with not motorcycle tires...
    Will probably get them to do it...ride it for 100 miles to see if vibration/alignment is ok and then go to my preferred
    dealership for oil change and laser(again) if needed.
    1984-87 Kawasaki GPZ750(1983)
    2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 800(2005)
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2013 Harley Davidson Road King(1999)
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT-S SM6(2014)
    2014 RTS , White

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear...

Glad things are clearing up some and the fair weather ryders are coming out of hibernation.... hope it will be a steady climb back to ideal rydin weather for you all....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thunor View Post
    Going to break the bike out of storage finally today. Early for most in Upstate but I don't mind cold as long as
    white stuff isn't present. Ordered new tires finally for the front; VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 175/55R15. Previous stocks
    have made it to 30k+ since 07/15 but started having cupping/wobbles last fall so time to go.

Wife wanted me to replace the seat...until I gave her price tags north of $700 so that upgrade will be skipped.
    Wife also wants me to look at some decals/vinyl...figure the white color makes for a good backdrop to anything
    so I am shopping again today. Any recommendations/tips? I know I won't be doing the install so probably a good
    body shop or such. Familial tremors says it is not something I should try. Lol.

Next step is to see if the dealership that had replaced my rear tire(Altimax) will do the same for me on my fronts.
    Hate the dealership but others would NOT do it with not motorcycle tires...
    Will probably get them to do it...ride it for 100 miles to see if vibration/alignment is ok and then go to my preferred
    dealership for oil change and laser(again) if needed.
    Since the fronts are so easy to do you maybe able to find a car shop to do it. All they need to do is raise the front of the Spyder high enough to clear the tires and remove three lug nuts on each. The rims will fit almost every tire changer. I take my wheels and tires to Costco and they do the changing for $15 each.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Since the fronts are so easy to do you maybe able to find a car shop to do it. All they need to do is raise the front of the Spyder high
    enough to clear the tires and remove three lug nuts on each. The rims will fit almost every tire changer. I take my wheels and tires to Costco and they do the changing
    for $15 each.
    I may just do that. First quote to do tires was $59/each...awaiting next one from place that I will probably get the oil changed anyways. If reasonable then I will
    have it done in one place.
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2014 RTS , White

Spyder Garage

on the early breakout.

Still waiting here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Lol...I enjoyed riding the Richardson Highway between Eielson AFB and Fairbanks back in 85/86. You probably have a little while yet to wait.
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2014 RTS , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thunor View Post
    Lol...I enjoyed riding the Richardson Highway between Eielson AFB and Fairbanks back in 85/86. You probably have a little while yet to wait.
    Surprisingly, we have not had a harsh winter, compared to the lower 48. We are experiencing days in the 40's and nights in the low 30's. The melt is complete except for the side roads in the country...where I live.

Last year...first ride was April 13 when the snow left my driveway. I am looking at a couple more weeks...so it may be a March opening for me. I hope I am right.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hey thunor Filers Powersports in Macedon, NY will do non BRP OEM tires for your Spyder they have done work on both my 16 RTL and wife’s 14 ST. They did a rear Yokohama S Drive on her bike. Fired mine up today but didn’t take them out roads are still pretty salty here in Syracuse. Good luck, safe riding
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I bought Continental Procontact for the front about two weeks after I got the '14 RT. I've got about 40 K on them and still a lot of tread. My Altimax rear didn't fare so well. While standing behind one day when the sun was full on the rear wheel, I read the words 'replace tire' IN the tire. That was cool. However the Altimax got about 28K miles. I changed to a Kumho but now wish I had heard of the Vredestein tires. I would have tried them. But the Continental tires I bought at a tire shop, I learned, had not been balanced. It seems they don't have the right size 'spindle' so I rode a whole bunch of miles with unbalanced tires. Then went to my dealer. He charged $85 to balance the tires. They are now out of business. Otherwise, they were reasonable guys...So, bottom line here, if you buy from a tire shop make CERTAIN they can balance the spyder tires. Don't forget laser alignment. That's the best part.

As for the seat, buy it. Pay the money. Your butt and your back will thank you. However, if you don't go more than a couple hundred miles on a trip. You're OK with the old seat. Just sayin'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michrick View Post
    Hey thunor Filers Powersports in Macedon, NY will do non BRP OEM tires for your Spyder they have done work on both my 16 RTL and wife’s 14 ST. They did a rear Yokohama S Drive on her bike. Fired mine up today but didn’t take them out roads are still pretty salty here in Syracuse. Good luck, safe riding
    Yeah, Filers had previously mounted my Altimax for me. They just quoted me $59/tire so I may just get a local car repair(have had excellent svc) mount the front ones for a lot less.
    Will see what Bibbens in Weedsport comes back with for oil change comparison price.

Rode around yesterday quite a bit...lol, just cause I could. Back to cold again tomorrow I think...with white stuff. Hopefully end is soon.

Safe riding to you too.
    2012 Victory V92SC(2009)
    2014 RTS , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    I bought Continental Procontact for the front about two weeks after I got the '14 RT. I've got about 40 K on them and still a lot of tread. My Altimax rear didn't fare so well. While standing behind one day when the sun was full on the rear wheel, I read the words 'replace tire' IN the tire. That was cool. However the Altimax got about 28K miles. I changed to a Kumho but now wish I had heard of the Vredestein tires. I would have tried them. But the Continental tires I bought at a tire shop, I learned, had not been balanced. It seems they don't have the right size 'spindle' so I rode a whole bunch of miles with unbalanced tires. Then went to my dealer. He charged $85 to balance the tires. They are now out of business. Otherwise, they were reasonable guys...So, bottom line here, if you buy from a tire shop make CERTAIN they can balance the spyder tires. Don't forget laser alignment. That's the best part.

As for the seat, buy it. Pay the money. Your butt and your back will thank you. However, if you don't go more than a couple hundred miles on a trip. You're OK with the old seat. Just sayin'
    I also are running the continental procontacts on the front and the General Altimax RT43 on the rear, and I have the same year of spyder as u do.
    Mileage on the Continental Procontacts are 9,593, these tire were installed on 6/24/2016. I have not had any problems.

Miles on the General Altimax RT43 ( rear tire) is 16,576. I am going to replace the rear tire with an other General Altimax RT 43.
    Total miles on the spyder is roughly 22,400 miles.

My spyder is still in hibernation, we still have snow here in Vermont. I am hoping to take the spyder out of hibernation in April.

**** We are having a Winter Storm Warning out from late tonight until Saturday, higher elevations 6-10 inches of snow. I also hope the Winter ends soon! ***

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Thunor Bibbens in Weedsport can do the alignment to I’m told. Ours are still resting all I’ve done was fire them up yesterday. Then I cleaned them up and covered them back up. Hopefully in a week or so we will let them loose. Safe riding Michrick
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Almost time for a long ride. Lately I've only done few meal runs. Plan to ride to a campout in Kentucky (about 500 miles) that will start my season. Usually get around 16,000 miles a year. Love the Spyder

Spyder Garage

I also did the alaska run in the 80s and need to go back cause I was too young to really apreciate.
    Suposed to be 60 here on Wednesday so off withe the covers check tires and go!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I'm curious about the VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 175/55R15. How does it feel in turns? Does the tire completely fill the wheel well? My Continental Pro Contact 175/55R15 FILL the wheel well. I cannot run a finger between tire and fender. IRT balance, I bought the set at an auto dealership. Turns out they didn't balance the tires. They said their 'spindle' wasn't small enough to put the tires in the spin machine...I had it done at a local CanAm dealership before they just went out of business one day for $85 for the pair. So, a GOOD question to ask is, CAN you balance the tires. A Firestone dealership across town CAN.