Spyder Garage

Default Soon to be owner needs some advice

Unfortunately I am from Wisconsin so I am a few weeks away from getting a Spyder. I have decided on the RT limited and would like some opinions on the older models (I found a nice 2015 with 23,000 miles) compared to a 2018. Obviously there is a price difference, but is it worth the extra money to get a 2018? I would like the added warranty, but I have heard mixed reviews on the BRP connect. Also is 23,000 miles too many to get on a used one? Most of the used models I see only seem to have a few thousand so I assume the previous owner either didn't like or didn't ride much.
    I realize there is no correct answer, I just would like some opinions and get some advice from some ryders who have probably been in the same situation.

Thanks guys.

Spyder Garage

BRP connect seems to be a problem. I bought a used 2015 RT Ltd in Mar 2017 with ONLY 224 miles. they took off a lot of depreciation off for me. Miles can be all over the place. at least your getting the 1330cc with 6 speeds, a big plus for lower maintenance costs. 23K is still senseable and reasonable. will last a long time. I now have 22,500 miles.

depends how much you want to spend?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Firstly MonPaul, welcome to the Forum & soon to be Spyder Ryding! (albeit that may be just a tiny bit in advance of it happening!)

Secondly, if you haven't been a Spyder Ryder already, then there's probably a lot of sense in going for the older & cheaper 2nd hand unit as your intro to Spyder Ryding. I don't really think the 2018 BRP connect issues are specifically a reason to NOT buy a 2018, but as a first time ryder, I reckon you'll probably be better off if you don't hafta worry about that too, if that makes sense....

Finally ( or at least Thirdly ) Spyder Ryding IS different to riding on 2 wheels, it's also different to driving a cage; and for most, it does take a bit of a while & a few hundred miles at least to really get the hang of it, so going for the older & cheaper Spyder that's already taken the big depreciation hit and doing your learning on that so that in the (unlikely?!) event that you really won't like it & you choose to sell the Spyder off it's gotta be a smart move & somewhat less of a financial hit!! And then when you do decide it's a great thing you can always trade up, by which time you'll have a good idea of what accessories you want included in the upgrade deal!

PS: btw, there's quite a few Spyders out there with way more'n 23K miles on their dial that're still going strong, even some with more'n 100K miles that are still confidently racking the miles up!! Don't let the 'almost run in' miles on it turn you off the older Spyder!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2019 at 11:39 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

……….IMHO for what you get the LTD is way over-priced …. I have a BASIC 2014 RT and it gives me everything I - NEED - to enjoy Spydering ….. I have DIY'ed many of the things the LTD. has for many thousands less ……check the OEM specs of the three RT's and see if you live without some of what the LTD. includes , as far as high mileage goes I expect 250,000 miles from mine …...…..good luck ….Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My limited was a left over, very happy with the price and what I got. Check around and good luck. To me warranty is important considering the complexity of these machines.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So it looks like how much do you want to pay for upgraded power steering, warranty and lower miles. I think the new 20.8 software update to the BRP connect that came out a few weeks ago fixed the problem they had. The 2018 leftover discounts or demos are at a good price right now if you can find them. So its all about the biggest bang for the buck. Good Luck Shopping!!
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    Unfortunately I am from Wisconsin so I am a few weeks away from getting a Spyder. I have decided on the RT limited and would like some opinions on the older models (I found a nice 2015 with 23,000 miles) compared to a 2018. Obviously there is a price difference, but is it worth the extra money to get a 2018? I would like the added warranty, but I have heard mixed reviews on the BRP connect. Also is 23,000 miles too many to get on a used one? Most of the used models I see only seem to have a few thousand so I assume the previous owner either didn't like or didn't ride much.
    I realize there is no correct answer, I just would like some opinions and get some advice from some ryders who have probably been in the same situation.

Thanks guys.
    As stated above, these are complex machines and while they are generally quite dependable, when there is a problem, sometimes it can be hard to diagnose and can quickly become expensive,

I started with a used 2012 RT Limited which I bought from an individual. It had less than 3000 miles and looked like new. After a couple weeks and about 250 miles the check engine light came on and it had the P0714 trouble code, which relates to a lean condition. I had it in the Can Am dealership three times during which they replaced the battery, purge valve, vacuum lines and more at a total cost of well over $600. When we went (a distance of over 100 miles) the third time to pick up the bike, it would not even start. At that point we had lost all confidence in the bike, and decided to trade it in. All though we received a good deal on a new 2018 RTL, we still took a hit on the trade as well as the repairs. Because of this experience, I purchased an extended warranty for the new bike, which I have never done before for any of the 30+ motorcycles I have owned.

The wife and I love riding the Spyder, and so far the new one has been mostly trouble free.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've gotten the best advice possible in the above posts. Most definitely go with the 1330 (2014 and above) check the serial for maintenance records and an extended warrantee of your choice would be good. Miles, not a huge issue. The "do's and don't's" section on this site helped me with my new ride and may help you. Good luck and happy trails. Just remember, unlike a 2 wheel ride, if you tip a spyder over you're going to need a lot of help to get it back up again. LOL

Spyder Garage

to the party.

You have posed some good questions. Any from 2014 on has the 1330/three engine. Most that have had earlier models prefer the 1330 config. Myself included.

25K miles is no issue on a these days. You can check the history and easily find if it is a good one. 100K is no problem on miles, as long as it has been serviced properly. The VIN check will provide that information.

LTD vs. S or basic? I have never gone the LTD route. $2K more usually. Some real chrome, and usually a garmin. I don't need either.

32K miles on my 2014 RT-S and still running strong.

Bottom line...used is not bad...unless....you just have to have a new one. Then GO for it. You don't want to have to say.....Wow! I could of had a V8. Let us know what you do.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-20-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I purchased my 2014 RTS last spring for a really reasonable price from an individual and probably only drove it for 4k miles - and I hate the steering on it when moving from a dead stop. I am not sure if the 2015 was improved over the 2014 but if not I wouldn't get it.

Good luck on your choice!
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The answers here are going to be all over the map for good reasons. A lot depends on what your list of priorities and pet peeves are. I bought a garage-kept 2012 RT SE5 A&C model from a guy I knew to be meticulous about maintenance and mods with 13k miles on it for about 35% below blue book. Health change made him sell. So I'm running the 990 engine and I don't have the CB. Other than that, there were almost no substantial differences between a 2012 A&C and Limited. Mine came with a lot of extended warranty left, too. In 3 years, I've spent about $1000 on maintenance and repairs. So my total cost of ownership is just catching up to the current blue book value with the miles I've put on it. Point: if you shop hard and don't get in a big hurry, you can make GREAT buys on used Spyders (true of many motorcycles, too). I'd rather let someone else take the depreciation loss. I've done that for decades on cars, trucks, boats, and bikes; and I've had very good luck with the whole bang-for-the-buck factor.

One of the things making me very content to keep riding my 2012 RT instead of selling it and buying an F3 is what I've observed at dealerships and on-line: tons of owners unhappy with comms and entertainment problems they can't get solved. Paid off and works great vs a loan payment and headaches. Pretty simple choice for me, because I only own this thing for fun. I'm sure I'd prefer the cruiser posture of an F3, but is it worth a $300/mo payment and all the likely electronics headaches for a few years to get it? NOPE! But these are personal choices. (FYI, I have never been to a dealership where some F3 owner wasn't fussing with the svc dept about their radio, cb, gps, bluetooth, etc. Not once. And there are more threads on here about that stuff...including the RT Limited...than almost anything else. Most of them don't include a happy ending, and I'm one of those guys who gets really torqued when I pay for something new and it doesn't work as advertised.)

So there's my 2 cents tossed into the mix. Happy hunting! Spyders are different than motorcycles. But their popularity has steadily gone up since they were introduced for very good reasons. 8 yrs ago, seeing one on the road or at an event was like spotting wild buffalo. Now, I see other Spyders every day. 3 yrs ago, I was usually the only Spyder rider in our groups. Now, there are always an additional 1-6 Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Pull the trigger and get the 2018 if its in your budget. I was lucky and picked up a 2016 RT-S last November with 321 miles on it. You will love the RT and will find you will keep it for many years. Start off with a lower mileage model. Good Luck in your decision.

Spyder Garage

Here’s my 2 cents opinion. Obviously, I would need to know the price difference between the 2015 and 2018 RT Limited. But if the mileage was 30,000 or less, on the 2015, I’d go for the 2015. I much prefer the portable, detacheable, Garmon GPS on the 2015. Also, I much prefer the Analog Fuel and Temp. Gauges on the 2015. Other wise, they are close to being identical Vehicles. My 2016 RT Ltd. now has 32,000 miles on it, and I bought it in April 2017 as a new left over. I traded in my 2012 RT Ltd. on it, that I bought new, in Jan. 2012, and paid almost full price, i.e. $30,000 out the door, but I had a 2002 Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic that the Dealer took on Trade, for Low Blue Book.. I logged 55,300 miles on the 2012 RT Ltd., and spent another $5000 on Maintenance and Service costs on it in the 5 years I had it, and only got $8000 Trade in on it for my 2016. BRP recomended Oil change and Filters to be every 3000 miles, when I bought my 2012, and I wasted a lot of money doing that before they raised the Service to 4600 miles. I never have done any of my own Service. When I traded, every one wanted the 1330, and were upgrading from their 998s, and I was one of the hold outs, as I thought my 2012 998 V-Twin 5 speed was the Cat’s Meow,......until I caved in and bought my 2016 1330 6 speed! No camparison, in my opinion. The 1330 is a much better Vehicle, other than the shocks, which were not as good as on the 2012.
    Also, I prefer the RT Ltd, over the S, because I like the electric Wind Screen that raises and lowers, and I like the Garmon GPS and the Chrome, so those features are worth the extra money to me. I never bought the Extended Waurentee on my 2012, so was saddled with a $1300 repair bill on my 2012 when the Air Compressor and Air Bag failed. The Xtended Waurentee would have covered the Air Compressior but not the Bag. I have not decided if I will purchase the Extended Waurentee on my 2016 yet, as I have until Sept. to decide. But how ever you do, I think the RT Limited is a great choice. I have ridden mine Solo, as my Wife quit riding eith me after the first 3000 miles, as she got bored. I never get bored! Good !uck!
    007 James

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post

Thanks guys.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised no one has suggested trying to find a leftover (new) 2017 or 2016. That should get the OP a better price AND a warranty AND avoid the BRP Connect issues. According to Cycle Trader, there are 88 "new" 2016 and 2017 RT's available nationwide. Somebody would be glad to sell you one and ship it. If nothing else, it should give you a bargaining chip.
    2017 RTS , Blue