Spyder Garage

Default Can Am "Spot On" alignment tool without Lasers?

I just got a text back from my local dealer. Says they do not have a laser alignment tool but can get it "spot on" with the Can Am approved tool.

?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

If that were true, why do they come from the factory needing alignment? Just saying. I would stick with what is known to work. Made a world of difference in how mine handles.
    SS1000, BB1500
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever

Spyder Garage

Bummer the nearest approved Laser Alignment is up in Longview, Washington, Like 2 hrs away, but likely worth it.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post
    I just got a text back from my local dealer. Says they do not have a laser alignment tool but can get it "spot on" with the Can Am approved tool.

?

Your thoughts?

Thanks
    I would certainly like to get more information on this 'Magic' tool. Your dealer should let the factory know about this. They could sure use it!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-20-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ron, for the new guy, I do think you should have ended that with some sort of emoji or (sarcasm)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

In the truck factory where I worked we had four alignment bays. Three were equipped with a laser setup and worked very well. The fourth bay wasn't used unless we got behind or had a truck that wouldn't fit properly in the laser setup. The guys that worked that bay were experienced at the job and got the trucks dialed in just as well as the laser setup. My point being experience can make a difference. Maybe the dealers secret weapon is an experienced guy or gal that can use the tools on hand to do a good job.

Vehicles come from the factory with alignment and other issues because there are times when it is quantity over quality. Often at months end when the number of vehicles out the door was the only thing you better be worried about.
    2015 RT , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

In 2013 BRO told their dealers that the Rolo/True Track Laser Alignment system was what they needed to use, but they don’t buy tools for dealers so most did not purchase the equipment. Squared Away will be in Winthrop, WA in June for the PAC NW Spyder Fest and we would be happy to align your Spyder there.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Ron, for the new guy, I do think you should have ended that with some sort of emoji or (sarcasm)
    Point well taken. I attempted to correct the problem with an emoji.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    In the truck factory where I worked we had four alignment bays. Three were equipped with a laser setup and worked very well. The fourth bay wasn't used unless we got behind or had a truck that wouldn't fit properly in the laser setup. The guys that worked that bay were experienced at the job and got the trucks dialed in just as well as the laser setup. My point being experience can make a difference. Maybe the dealers secret weapon is an experienced guy or gal that can use the tools on hand to do a good job.

Vehicles come from the factory with alignment and other issues because there are times when it is quantity over quality. Often at months end when the number of vehicles out the door was the only thing you better be worried about.
    I understand your point. And experience certainly does make a big difference in whatever method is used. But the situation you refer to just does not transfer to the Spyder.

The Spyder is extremely sensitive to alignment for a number of reasons. It has a very narrow front wheel base. Alignment specs on wider wheel based vehicles are not nearly as critical. The Spyder also has a relatively short front to back wheelbase. Especially when compared to a truck. This adds a great deal to alignment sensitivity. The the greater the wheelbase, the less sensitive to alignment, and vise versa.

BRP originally aligned the front wheels using the frame as reference. This method is extremely inaccurate. The ROLO laser system trues the front wheels using the rear wheel. The laser simply exaggerates the alignment points to get a much more accurate end result.

The front wheels must be aligned to run true with the rear wheel. This is the only way to get an accurate alignment. The ROLO laser alignment system extends the measurement or 'Target' out several feet from the front of the Sypder. So a very small error at the wheel becomes a very large error out 6 feet or so (not sure what distance is being used now). This allows for the very fine tuning and accuracy needed to get a good alignment. It is difficult to conceive of 'Experience' compensating for the accuracy that the ROLO laser alignment system provides.

As far as the day of the week. There are far too many Spyders "out of alignment" from the factory for this to be a real factor.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-20-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would certainly like to get more information on this 'Magic' tool. Your dealer should let the factory know about this. They could sure use it!
    ..... un-fortunately Dealers throw more " HOOEY " than almost anyone I know ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just for the heck of it it would be great if Joe or Ann could comment with a number of perfectly aligned Spyders they've seen from the factory.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

What I learned from Joe and Ann may help some to know if they have good alignment. My bike was Squared Away a couple of years ago. I didn't know if it was out of alignment or not. I could not tell with my untrained eye if there was any unusual tire wear. I rode the bike a little under 300 miles to meet for an alignment. I was a bit tired after the ride. Before even starting the alignment process, Joe asked me if I was getting sore in my upper shoulder/lower neck area. Yup. I was told that is likely due to continually having to "steer" the bike. A properly aligned bike should be able to be driven using two fingers on a reasonably maintained road. My bike was then Squared Away. I can now truely maintain full control with the light touch of two finger driving. Stability is greatly improved and fatigue in my shoulder/neck area is gone. So, if you're wondering about alignment, just apply my "before and after" experience to your ride and you will know. I am by no means an alignment expert. Just a satisfied customer. Joe, Ann, please correct me if any of my recolection or information is incorrect..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

We are estimating 2 to 3 percent, Jay. Trouble is, those that are within spec are not recorded; no receipt or financial transaction.
    I believe you are correct, Jim. Riding should be painless, and a joy. If your Spyder is not, you need to be Squared Away! Joe
    Last edited by cptjam; 03-20-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMO a laser is just a tool, in the wrong hands it probably isn't any more accurate than string and tape measures. As long as the measurement technique is based off the rear wheel, any alignment jig is just a tool and not the magic cure.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Humm, thanks for all the input. I'm not even sure mine is out although not sure I would be comfortable taking my hands off the bars. There is a shop in Eugene that does Laser aligns too. Probably worth a ride down.

Thanks Again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Squared Away will be in Winthrop, WA in June for the PAC NW Spyder Fest and we would be happy to align your Spyder there.
    Any chance you are going through Portland coming or going?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

We just bought a 2019 F3L and our dealer told us that alignments on the new Spyders are not needed according to BRP. BRP has apparently changed the way they do the alignments at the factory. My dealer has had the Rolo system for over 3 years and do the laser alignments regularly. We will see once we get the Spyder this Saturday. My wife will be able to tell right off the bat because she is used to her F3S that was laser aligned by the same dealer. If it is not good then we will get it aligned.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    We just bought a 2019 F3L and our dealer told us that alignments on the new Spyders are not needed according to BRP. BRP has apparently changed the way they do the alignments at the factory. My dealer has had the Rolo system for over 3 years and do the laser alignments regularly. We will see once we get the Spyder this Saturday. My wife will be able to tell right off the bat because she is used to her F3S that was laser aligned by the same dealer. If it is not good then we will get it aligned.
    That's interesting - My 2019 F3L feels great but then I have nothing to compare it to. Please post a follow up and let us know how it turns out
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

They have gotten better at the factory but are still far from perfect. We do find more new models in spec but still most are not.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Have done several 2019s including Rykers. Nope, BRP has not magicly amended its ways. They still come poorly aligned or not at all. One Ryker was toed out.....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Have done several 2019s including Rykers. Nope, BRP has not magicly amended its ways. They still come poorly aligned or not at all. One Ryker was toed out.....
    I guess I am not surprised. Just disappointed.

Spyder Garage

We did a 2019 Ryker the other day. Over an inch out on one side, 1/4 on the other. So, no change.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We did a 2019 Ryker the other day. Over an inch out on one side, 1/4 on the other. So, no change.
    One thing that I think might help people to understand a little more about the sensitivity of the Spyder/Ryker and the beauty of the ROLO Laser alignment system would be to clairify what '1 inch out' actually means. Many think this means the wheel was 1" out of spec. at the leading edge of the tire. And this is not the case. What we are talking about here is 1" at the target which is situated several feet in front of the front wheels. This exaggerates greatly the amount of error in the alignment. This high amount of exaggeration is exactly what is needed to get an accurate alignment on one of these machines.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... un-fortunately Dealers throw more " HOOEY " than almost anyone I know ..... Mike

Those that say they have a new tool or there is a new improved alignment from BRP and the new units don't need it. Too many dealers telling buyers whatever they think the buyer will believe..... Facts are irrelevant or unknown to them..... There are so many people, especially those on this forum, who know just how well our Spyders are capable of handling. But, so many more who are unaware. And, so many dealers spewing "HOOEY". I wonder how many dissatisfied owners are believing the dealers who don't have a clue about how a properly set-up Spyder should handle. They are sure not doing any favors to promote Spyders and the BRP brand. Makes me wonder why BRP doesn't insist that new units be properly set up prior to delivery to new customers. Sending new Spyders out the door to unsuspecting customers that are not set up properly is just shooting themselves in the foot..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi