Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bike powered Midland CB really works!

I've found using the battery pack on the Midland CB works but not as good as the cig power pack. I went for a nice 200+ ride yesterday and the new setup worked perfectly. I tried using the battery pack but the other riders have to be practically next to me as the CB signal needs power to get out especially after a long ride. So, I tried to use the cig power pack instead of the battery pack along with a USB to cig outlet adapter. I got the USB/Cig outlet cable from Amazon along with ferrite beads that I think might help with static interference. I also use a USB outlet in the RT's switch area with a 90 degree adapter. (because my outlet isn't in the center spot)

Worked like a charm! No engine interference. Now, I'll be getting the BRP CB antenna to connect to the antenna part of the Midland cable and a PTT button for the Sena SR10. Then I'll be figuring out how to make it waterproof and secure so I don't have to pop it on/off all the time. ( I took these images vertically with iPhone)

USB to Cig outlet with 90 degree adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    UKNCIi8OSvq7gzSWnfj6YQ.jpg

USB outlet powered from fuse box (not from the battery or other power source)
    yj4w9eKEQUGwfXs9t7Vydw.jpg

USB outlet which also shows voltage

Ferrite beads that I put on either side of the middle thing on the USB/Cig cable.

CBconnection.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Very nice set up

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted on new developments.
    I'm very interested in your antenna exercise.
    Thank you for the links to the parts from Amazon.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I've found using the battery pack on the Midland CB works but not as good as the cig power pack. I went for a nice 200+ ride yesterday and the new setup worked perfectly. I tried using the battery pack but the other riders have to be practically next to me as the CB signal needs power to get out especially after a long ride. So, I tried to use the cig power pack instead of the battery pack along with a USB to cig outlet adapter. I got the USB/Cig outlet cable from Amazon along with ferrite beads that I think might help with static interference. I also use a USB outlet in the RT's switch area with a 90 degree adapter. (because my outlet isn't in the center spot)

Worked like a charm! No engine interference. Now, I'll be getting the BRP CB antenna to connect to the antenna part of the Midland cable and a PTT button for the Sena SR10. Then I'll be figuring out how to make it waterproof and secure so I don't have to pop it on/off all the time. ( I took these images vertically with iPhone)

USB to Cig outlet with 90 degree adapter
    UKNCIi8OSvq7gzSWnfj6YQ.jpg

USB outlet powered from fuse box (not from the battery or other power source)
    yj4w9eKEQUGwfXs9t7Vydw.jpg

USB outlet which also shows voltage

Ferrite beads that I put on either side of the middle thing on the USB/Cig cable.

CBconnection.jpg
    If I understood this correctly you are powering the CB off a USB port, I thought a USB port only supplied 5 volts, did you modify the USB port to provide 12 volts or do you have a CD that is powered by 5volts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByronM View Post
    If I understood this correctly you are powering the CB off a USB port, I thought a USB port only supplied 5 volts, did you modify the USB port to provide 12 volts or do you have a CD that is powered by 5volts?
    The USB provides 5v as shown in the picture. The 6AA battery pack would provide 9v when they are new and I’ve found the radio can last a few days but I was only able to communicate with a rider near me. The riders at the tail of the group would fade as the ride wore on. So I guess the CB can work without the full voltage. Not sure if the USB/Cig cable does anything to improve it. All I can say is I don’t have to keep a full set of new batteries and I don’t have to worry about them going dead. I’ll try and measure the voltage from the cig cable.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByronM View Post
    Look at the Amazon link. What Flame is doing is converting 12 volts to 5 via the USB adapter in the dash, and then converting back from 5 volts to 12 volts to power the CB. This power double conversion is providing a clean power supply to the CB and eliminates the RF noise present in the RT wiring.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)