Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cb radio alternative to factory oem

I have a 2015 RTS SE6 and have been looking for a CB alternative to the factory CB. I came across the J&M handlebar mounted CB audio system JMCB-2003k-DU. This looks like it will do nicely at a lot cheaper cost. In researching this CB I came across this statement “this unit is not recommended for BMW motorcycles with can-bus electrical system”. My concern has to do with the mention of the can-bus electrical system. Has anyone installed this CB on a Spyder or had any issues with non OEM CB’s with the Can Am can-bus system? I'm also looking at the Midland 75-822. Any opinions?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vienna7475 View Post
    I have a 2015 RTS SE6 and have been looking for a CB alternative to the factory CB. I came across the J&M handlebar mounted CB audio system JMCB-2003k-DU. This looks like it will do nicely at a lot cheaper cost. In researching this CB I came across this statement “this unit is not recommended for BMW motorcycles with can-bus electrical system”. My concern has to do with the mention of the can-bus electrical system. Has anyone installed this CB on a Spyder or had any issues with non OEM CB’s with the Can Am can-bus system? I'm also looking at the Midland 75-822. Any opinions?
    I think the BMW CanBUS system is more extensive and covers more of the bike electrics than does the Can Am one. Even the brake light is controlled over CanBUS. The BRP OEM CB interfaces with the CanBUS through the radio but the J&M and Midland CBs don't connect to the CanBUS. There shouldn't be any problem using either of them. I presume you're looking to BlueTooth connect to your helmet, right? The only hitch that I know of for the Midland is if you plug it into the bike power outlet you stand to get too much engine static noise throught it to easily use it. When my nephew and I went to Homecoming in Valcourt in 2017 he used a Midland handheld with the SR10 adapter kit. It worked decently but he had to run it on its own batteries because of the RF noise in the bike wiring.

The OEM CB will give you better range than a handheld. Yes, the BRP CB is pricey, but not as pricey as the new Honda Goldwing ones!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have your CB problem solved, give me a call. you can be on the air good buddy, hahaha
    for around $300 call me 209-887-3283 and or email me at motorcycledave@mac.com
    Ride safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by vienna7475 View Post

Spyder Garage

We have installed the J&M handlebar mount CB on Louise F3. It works very well. FAR better than the midland handlheld units. It can also be interfaced to Sena bluetooth helmets.

20180512_160859.jpg

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We have installed the J&M handlebar mount CB on Louise F3. It works very well. FAR better than the midland handlheld units. It can also be interfaced to Sena bluetooth helmets.

20180512_160859.jpg
    When I checked with J&M, they said they don't have a mount for the Spyder.........sooo, how did you mount it? Did you custom make a mount?

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried using my Midland CB powering it with the cig power pack. I used a USB outlet in the switch panel that is powered from a fuse block. Do not power the USB from the battery or other power source. I used a USB to cig cable adapter and had some ferrite beads on the adapter cable and no engine interference. Worked like a charm. The picture shows the USB to cig with ferrite beads. Now to make it waterproof and secure. Thinking of getting BRP CB antenna and cleaning up all the extra cable around the mounted CB on the handlebars.

2791165C-8307-4A12-B9C7-9AE075D856B4.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

20180512_160859.jpg
    Possible to get more details on how it interfaces with the Sena headsets?
    Will it work with both rider and passenger?

Thanks in advance
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Possible to get more details on how it interfaces with the Sena headsets?
    Will it work with both rider and passenger?

Thanks in advance
    The Sena SR10 is a Bluetooth transmitter for two-way radios. Having the specific cable for the radio you are using allows the Sena to plug into both the phone and mike jacks. If you have the main Sena unit on the handlebars the rider can use the PTT to transmit and if you get the PTT extension button I guess the passenger could transmit also. Not sure if plugging in the PTT extension prevents the main button from working. Have to ask Sena about that.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I tried using my Midland CB powering it with the cig power pack. I used a USB outlet in the switch panel that is powered from a fuse block. Do not power the USB from the battery or other power source. I used a USB to cig cable adapter and had some ferrite beads on the adapter cable and no engine interference. Worked like a charm. The picture shows the USB to cig with ferrite beads. Now to make it waterproof and secure. Thinking of getting BRP CB antenna and cleaning up all the extra cable around the mounted CB on the handlebars.

2791165C-8307-4A12-B9C7-9AE075D856B4.jpg
    I didn't know such a converter existed! I take it the 1.2 or 2.0 amp rating of a USB port is sufficient to power a handheld CB then. With two converters in series, 12 volt to USB then USB to 12 volt, I guess you pretty well isolate the CB from the bike circuitry noise.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Neither did I until I saw it on Amazon. Since the radio can work with 6 AA batteries I figured I’d try this adapter and even the ferrite beads for good measure. Also, the USB is a 4.2 amp and puts out more than other usb power ports. Works great.

437FC526-2F64-40FB-9477-37910151A11F.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    When I checked with J&M, they said they don't have a mount for the Spyder.........sooo, how did you mount it? Did you custom make a mount?
    Yes, its just a piece of 3/4 inch aluminum angle with holes drilled in it. Took me all of a half hour to make it and paint it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    The Sena SR10 is a Bluetooth transmitter for two-way radios. Having the specific cable for the radio you are using allows the Sena to plug into both the phone and mike jacks. If you have the main Sena unit on the handlebars the rider can use the PTT to transmit and if you get the PTT extension button I guess the passenger could transmit also. Not sure if plugging in the PTT extension prevents the main button from working. Have to ask Sena about that.
    With the J&M the PTT circuit is not even used on the Sena. The PTT switch is on the radio, see pic above. The sena SR10 module is mounted in the front trunk.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

what do you have to offer for a CB set up for a 2015 RT Limited? I have the Midland unit currently and am not real happy with it.
    I will also need to know what you can do for antenna as well
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    what do you have to offer for a CB set up for a 2015 RT Limited? I have the Midland unit currently and am not real happy with it.
    Who are you asking? We are all trying different ways to get a CB on our Spyders. Read what others are doing and try them out.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Install the J&M motorcycle CB radio and their antenna. It works. Headset either wired or bluetooth is your option.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle Dave or anyone that has a CB that works and is not a pain to install the antenna

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle Dave or anyone that has a CB that works and is not a pain to install the antenna
    What exactly are you saying or asking?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

What I am asking is how is everyone mounting the J&M CB and what antenna are you using and where are you mounting it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What I am asking is how is everyone mounting the J&M CB and what antenna are you using and where are you mounting it?
    With the Handheld Midland 75-822, I mount it to the center of the handlebars and the antenna sticks up from it. I hope to install a BRP antenna (from the earlier RT models) and connect it to the CB. There really is no other place as you need to turn it on/off and change channels. You could mount it in the trunk but you'd be stuck with its settings unless you stopped to change things.

fullsizeoutput_1552.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

The J&M mounts to the back of the left handlebar control cluster. The recommended antenna mount for ease of install on an RT is the licence plate mount, 36" version J&M sells. Its a pretty easy install. That same mount works on an F3T either at the plate, or to a luggage rack.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have the J & M CB on my 2011 rt limited, works well. MY only question is with the antenna currently mounted on the license plate with the J & M bracket, works but looks weird with the cb antenna behind the trunk. Has anyone installed the j & M antenna in the vacant original spyder cb antenna location? Or can I get the factory antenna and hook it to the J & M unit?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

I see a lot of "You can do this and you can do that.", but I don't see any how. For example, how do you connect the J&M to the Sena SR10 (neither Sena's nor J&M's site have a connector), and how do you mount the J&M to the back of the left handlebar control cluster?

Thanks
    2017 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

To mount the J & M I used a 2" aluminum angle 2" x 2" x 3" long. Notched out the angle to match the J & M. Then I removed the 2 top handle bar clamp bolts then I replaced them with M4 x .7 x 40 screws from Lowe's. I used plastic spacers to plum up the aluminum bracket to the bike. Mount was easy to fabricate and is very secure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDavis View Post
    I see a lot of "You can do this and you can do that.", but I don't see any how. For example, how do you connect the J&M to the Sena SR10 (neither Sena's nor J&M's site have a connector), and how do you mount the J&M to the back of the left handlebar control cluster?

Thanks
    J&M is coming out with their own BT dongle to work with the CB radio. Call them and find out when. Otherwise you get a specific cable for the radio you are using, so for my Midland I get a cable that plugs into it then into the Sena. I could put the Sena in the glove box as I got a PTT button.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDavis View Post

Thanks
    To connect the J&M to the Sena SR10 you need the sena pigtail cable and a din plug. Install the din plug on the end of the cable. Only 3 wires required. Ground, mic, either speaker (sr10 is mono). The combo works very well with sena headsets.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame