Spyder Garage

Default I was thinking to get a F3-T, not anymore!

I was thinking to get a F3-T, not anymore! I saw this video on what it takes to replace the spark plugs. This is not easy to do. Won’t be getting one now. The fuel filter isn’t any easier. Check this out!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYDgsSbMPLQ#
    2015 White Can AM Spyder RTL
    2015 Black Harley Davidson Road Glide
    1998 Buell S3 Thunderbolt
    2012 Honda NC700XD

Spyder Garage

Its not that bad. Takes about 30 minutes to remove the necessary panels. He's a dealer and his job is to scare you. Don't be afraid

20170704_140440.jpg
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

I have done them on a F3S and it’s not that bad at all. Granted a T or L will be slight more to remove but shouldn’t be that bad. Just more time consuming than anything.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Once every 28K miles? Let a dealership do it if you don't want to try. If you have two thumbs, eight fingers and a few tools you can easily do everything else on the maintenance schedule except perhaps the biennial brake fluid exchange for which you need B.U.D.S. to trigger the ABS module.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

He is not one of my favorite people because he tends to pass BS off as truth. Don’t believe everything you see on the internet.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Amazing! Someone would pass on owning one of the finest, most exhilarating rides on the planet because of 3 spark plugs! I understand 'To Each His Own'. But sometimes people blow me away.

There are people out there that will change them for you every 28,000 miles.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That is the best reason I can think of for not getting an F3.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Can I go a little bit off topic?

When Spyders first came out, the cycle magazine reviews were also very bad. Tough to handle, jerky, all over the road, the test vehicles given to the mags had a tendency to break down also.

It was almost a year or more until the reviews were considered as "take with a grain of salt."

Driving a Spyder had to be learned. They do not drive or handle like a two or even a traditional three wheeler from that time period. We called it the "learning curve" here. Most were good after 500 miles or so.

Had I listened to the reviews, I would never have purchased a Spyder. Instead, I put my money down, no test drive, waited about eight months and became the first customer to have one in AK. Five spyders and 145,000 miles later, I am glad I did.

Also not mechanical. I have not even performed an oil change on any of mine. I let the dealer do it all for me.

There are many choices out there. Do what you think is best. Hope you are not missing the boat by letting a video scare you off.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-17-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rohaianan View Post
    I was thinking to get a F3-T, not anymore! I saw this video on what it takes to replace the spark plugs. This is not easy to do. Won’t be getting one now. The fuel filter isn’t any easier. Check this out!

I see you have a 2015 RT. Have you changed spark on it? The F3 is no harder then that.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Why would you want to replace it yourself. We have different trades and professions. I am an accountant and will not allow a carpenter to do my tax returns. Leave the technical stuff to the technical people.
    2016 F3Ltd , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

That is a sad excuse for not getting an F3.... bet it didn't stop you when you bought your other motorized vehicles... come on say the seating is wrong, the ryde is not comfortable, the mileage is not to your liking, your wife don't like it....but if you do all your own work then this would not even be a problem and if you don't then even less of a problem.... Me it just doesn't suit me and I really love the RS sm5...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Geez, I'm 82 and would not let the specter of buried spark plugs deny me the pleasures that my F3L will bring me. That's a good mid winter project, when there's snow on the ground and no riding. That is also a great time for other maintenance tasks. If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do it. There's a lot of help here and YouTube has helpful videos too.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

WOW! That's sad. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JackSA View Post
    Why would you want to replace it yourself. We have different trades and professions. I am an accountant and will not allow a carpenter to do my tax returns. Leave the technical stuff to the technical people.
    I'm a CAD 3D modeler. I do all my own work on motorcycles, cars, boats, trailer, etc. I have been since old enough to help my dad wrench and for me to work on my motorcycle I got when I was 7yo. Its a hobby, its part of the joy of riding or driving. Knowing that you built the kick butt engine roaring under the hood or installed or even made, the cool lift kit on your now up high 4x4, its part of the fun. And knowing all the maintenance work has be done right, is comforting.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Don hit that nail squarely on its head in that last post. I had a machine repair biz for over 40 years and learned that there are a lot of guys out there who are dangerous with tools in their hands. Worse, they charge a lot to mess up your stuff. I can't count all the "I took it to the shop" horror stories I have read in MC forums.
    When I was buying my F3, the floorboards had to be moved forward a notch and had I not been allowed to stand by, the guy doing it would have really messed thing up. Even though I was new to Spyders, I knew he was doing something he had never done before, or was very inept, and I had to coach him. It was scary to watch him, the way he was using tools.
    Do it yourself and you'll know it's done right!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

A lot of the v6 in cars have to remove the upper intake manifold for just three plugs. Spyder is not a big deal.......vs........... an air filter on a 2006 honda goldwing?? (Still bought one) then a spyer

airfiltermain.jpg
    close up rt airbox.jpg
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

It's great that some of you have the ability to do your own maintenance, however not everyone has that ability or desire to. I watched that video and was also setback by what it looked like to change the plugs and started doing the math of what it would cost to have them changed out based on almost 2 days labor which would be well over $1000 "outrageous". So I went to my local dealer and asked what they charge to change the plugs, they said for a RT it was 5 hours and the F3 was 3 hours, well that is a lot less than what that video made me think. I then watched his second video and he stated he took a lot more off of the F3 because he had to find a leak in the cooling system. I am still going to buy a F3T and I would not if I had to pay over $1000 just to replace spark plugs, now I know some of you that's not a problem for you but remember everyone has different thresholds of pain and $1000 plus would have been over mine. So the Original poster please realize it isn't as bad as that video made it out to be in fact there is a lot BS out there that would have you only walking if you believed it. Lots of haters. I don't know why people have to put down things that they don't want or like, so sad.

Spyder Garage

Most dealers charge around $130 per hour as the shop rate...plus parts.

I have found that an oil change/check over service costs around $300 with parts.

More detailed services require a bit more. There are not many services these days that should cost more than $1,000. It does not hurt to get an estimate up front. They use the shop rate book...so everything is there in black and white.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It’s not like you do it every day or even annually. I think they recommend at 28,000 miles. For me that’s 4-5 years. Probably hire it done anyway.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

The BRP flat rate manuals for the '14 RTS is 1.5 hr for "Spark Plug, singular." I doubt it's 4.5 hr for three plugs. My 28K service in 2017 was $300 in labor for the oil change, HCM (trans) filter change, and new spark plugs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rohaianan View Post

I've seen enough of that guy's posts to know he's a dick who just loves to hear his own voice. I don't look at his vlogs anymore.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    I've seen enough of that guy's posts to know he's a dick who just loves to hear his own voice. I don't look at his vlogs anymore.
    LOL! My thoughts exactly.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    LOL! My thoughts exactly.
    Yea, but just think how much he's collecting from Google each month for those daily vlogs
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

He's a dealer mechanic and needs the work.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White