Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure message

Hi All.
    Bought a 2009 SE5 Spyder last Thursday and on ride home 110 miles brake failure notice came on. Freaked me out as in a town and did not know what was about to happen. I've looked at the other threads and done the following today - checked fluid level (full) removed and checked with avo the brake micro switch (both good) removed the cables from the level sensors at bottom of luqid tank (no difference). Removed the front wheels and checked the pads and discs (good) removed the rear brake caliper and pads (good). The brakes work fine but tried to re set - press brake and turn off key etc but F-CKING nothing doing....HELP PLEASE
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Retrieve the fault code and post it. Someone will tell you what the possible cause is.

With engine running. Press the mode button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display. Make sure you do not release the mode button when you get to "engine hours"
    While still holding the mode button. Flash high beams 5 times within 2 seconds.
    If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    If there are more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.
    If you do not get anything. Try again you did not do it right.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IF......you ride the brake pedal just a TINY bit while the throttle is also off of idle......that can set a "brake fault" code.
    Hope that's all it is.
    Do you have a CanAm dealer close by ??
    They can read the code and reset it to see if it comes back.

Spyder Garage

Default Try This....

Turn off, remove key and allow computers to reset. Can take a while best give it 45 min or so. The re-start and see if the warning is off. If it is it will be stored in the computer and the tech's will see it if you go in for any service work. You can also disconnect the battery so all systems will re-start when re-connected. One thing I did not see you check is the barke switch at the pedal to see if it sticks which has been a problem for some....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Update - re tried the re set method and I ( weak old bast'''d ) was not pressing down hard enough to turn the cam enough for the second micro switch. Just did it with me totally standing on the pedal and finally heard the click and HEY fucing presto IT WORKED!!!! happy happpy

Spyder Garage

Just to check - so if I am riding along say into a town and just gently brake and the throttle is slightly on - the fault code will come on? Thanks

Spyder Garage

The fault I have (the previous owner knew about but did not tell me) sometimes if I flick up shift there is a message transmission and the engine light comes on. If I flick back down to the original gear and then shift up it goes away. I have ordered a new gear controller SE5 hopefully this will stop the problem.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Brake failure code ……. On almost all occasions of this occurrence it turns out that the Brake Fluid is slightly LOW ….. you can't tell by the mark on the tank ….. ADD about two Tablespoons of fluid ….. and see if this cures the issue …… It appears the sender is UBER sensitive to the amount needed to trip it ….. Mike ...………… PS be Very careful not to spill any - IMMEDIATELY clean area if you do ….Brake fluid is almost as strong as ACID ………………..

Spyder Garage

So you said you did the reset, I assume for the low pressure fault and it fixed it. It will keep coming back until you fix it. Most of the time it needs a brake fluid change to firm up the peddle.

As for the transmission faults. That is completely separate problem. Most likely a gear position sensor or faulty handlebar switch. Need more exact details to diagnose which one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    So you said you did the reset, I assume for the low pressure fault and it fixed it. It will keep coming back until you fix it. Most of the time it needs a brake fluid change to firm up the peddle.

As for the transmission faults. That is completely separate problem. Most likely a gear position sensor or faulty handlebar switch. Need more exact details to diagnose which one.
    Hi - I know seperate fault - it comes now and again when flicking the paddle + and the gearbox shifts great but the check engine light comes on and a message verify transmission (message is in French but rough translation).

I think the problem I had with the brakes is as someone stated about soft braking and having throttle open as it happened just in a busy town. The brake fluid was changed by Can Am dealer last July

Spyder Garage

Do not know why they call it a low pressure switch as it works on a cam and micro switch ( normally pressure switch is in the brake fluid lines ) i.e. a diaphragm type.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haikanko View Post
    Do not know why they call it a low pressure switch as it works on a cam and micro switch ( normally pressure switch is in the brake fluid lines ) i.e. a diaphragm type.
    The fault you get when riding the brakes is a different one then the low pressure fault. It will self reset and the low pressure will not. As you found out.

It is call a low pressure switch because. When the switch is closed and there is not enough pressure in either of the 2 systems, as measured by the VCM, it activates the fault. The fault is sticky because it could be caused by a leak and needs to be looked at. But it also can be cause by air in the system or bad contaminated fluid that is too compressible. So if there is not a leak. Likely not but should be inspected. You need to bleed the brakes. As recommend every 2 years but overlooked by most owners.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Better than calling it "thingy"

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bfromla View Post
    better than calling it "thingy"
    lololololol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just to check - so if I am riding along say into a town and just gently brake and the throttle is slightly on - the fault code will come on? Thanks
    Maybe. Seems like I remember that I had to do that several times.......or hold it for more than a few seconds before it would complain.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The fault you get when riding the brakes is a different one then the low pressure fault. It will self reset.
    Mine didn't.
    Had to visit a dealer for a computer connection.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Mine didn't.
    Had to visit a dealer for a computer connection.
    Then your experience is different then most. Riding the brake pedal will cause a fault and driving for a couple minutes, without your foot on the pedal, will clear the fault. Even if you happened to somehow get a low pressure fault. You still did not have to go to the dealer. To have the fault reset using BUDS. It can be reset yourself by following the procedure in the service manual without BUDS.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then your experience is different then most. Riding the brake pedal will cause a fault and driving for a couple minutes, without your foot on the pedal, will clear the fault.
    My memory may have failed......again.

Now that you mention it, I think it did clear itself the first time but then I went to the shop when it came on AGAIN.

And that was shortly after I got my first one and didn't know about the manual procedure.......and it was still under warranty.

Thanks for straightening me out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Brake failure code ……. On almost all occasions of this occurrence it turns out that the Brake Fluid is slightly LOW ….. you can't tell by the mark on the tank ….. ADD about two Tablespoons of fluid ….. and see if this cures the issue …… It appears the sender is UBER sensitive to the amount needed to trip it ….. Mike ...………… PS be Very careful not to spill any - IMMEDIATELY clean area if you do ….Brake fluid is almost as strong as ACID ………………..
    Was looking for someone to mention the above. This is also a very common situation. The first and second times this happened to me, I was going down the Hatcher Pass grade. A beautiful "dragon" type ride with over a 10 mile very steep grade. Turned out to be low fluid in both cases. A tablespoon of brake fluid cured the situation both times.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Was looking for someone to mention the above. This is also a very common situation. The first and second times this happened to me, I was going down the Hatcher Pass grade. A beautiful "dragon" type ride with over a 10 mile very steep grade. Turned out to be low fluid in both cases. A tablespoon of brake fluid cured the situation both times.
    I seems crazy that as little as a tablespoon top up is enough!!!! to go from low to high

Spyder Garage

Hi Haikanko,

Re: It seems crazy that as little as a tablespoon top up is enough!!!! to go from low to high

IMO it does not seem crazy, it is crazy. Just another poorly engineered part of these machines.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I seems crazy that as little as a tablespoon top up is enough!!!! to go from low to high
    The system is VERY sensitive. Some use a clean plastic straw. Put it into the brake fluid container, place a finger on top of the straw then let the amount of fluid in the straw drain into the reservoir. But as Mike said, be very careful not to get any brake fluid on any part of the bike. And, before you even open the reservoir cap, clean the area well so nothing accidentally falls into it...... Jim

(The reference to a plastic straw is not valid in California where owing one is illegal)
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi