Thread: Gas dripping

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas dripping

I am original owner of a 2008 rs with approximately 35000 miles on it.I have the replacement gas cap and did the canisterectomy years ago.Yesterday I decided to take it out of hibernation and clean it up.I backed it out of the garage and turned it around and parked it in the driveway leaving it running to let it warm up a little.I am smelling gas and when I get off I see gas dripping on the left side between the oil reservoir and pulley,so I shut the engine off.I popped the seat open and check the gas cap and was able to turn
    it a few clicks.I pulled off the panels and look for where it was coming from and do not see anything obvious.Would fuel preesure allow the gas to leak out from the cap if it was loose in that short amount of time?If it was leaking from the fuel line or filter I would think it would have dripped on the right side but I didn't see any evidence of a leak there.Thanks in advance for your help.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

update:I went out after I posted the original thread and got the spyder out of the garage and looked it over again with it running and the fuel filter is leaking at the seam in the center.So I guess I will order a new one with hoses and clamps.If nothing else I hope this helps someone else on where to look.

Spyder Garage

Well that's gotta be the catch of the day! Congratulations!!

It hasta be a whole lot nicer finding that little problem out with the Spyder idling in the driveway, instead of 'discovering' it when the leaking gas drips onto something hot enough to ignite it while you're doing 70 mph in the center lane of an Interstate!!

Hope it doesn't take you too long to get it all sorted so you can get back out on the road with your knees in the breeze! Ryde safe!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

update#2 Checked further into leak and discovered the front clamp on filter is loose enough to spin the hose so the plan is to replace the clamp and then take it to dealer to do the maintenance required
    at this juncture since I have not had it there in 2 years.I do the oil and filter changes myself and farkles but I like to let Ryan at Hanover motorsports go over it once a year ,but I will be the first to admit I was remiss in this lately as I have not been riding as much as I used to in the past couple years.