Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I like my Nolan Helmet also. Hopefully getting a new one this spring. Got some age on the old one.
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

my modular...Scorpion EXO-AT950
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Something about my fat head that I can't get on a full face! Only the flip up lets me widen the opening a smidge tugging on the straps to get it on comfortably.

Spyder Garage

Long time Shoei customer, so I picked up my first Neotec 2 this Winter.
    I got out today for a 38 mile ride up to double zero's
    35 and snowing in Minneapolis this afternoon, no helmet issues at all

T.P.

Spyder Garage

I wear a full face helmet( VOX) it has built-in sun visor.

I have has the full face helmet for 5 years.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Gumby View Post
    my modular...Scorpion EXO-AT950
    I've been considering this helmet myself. How do you like it ?

Spyder Garage

Wife and I wear LS2 Valiant.
    I may be misstating but I believe they are one of the few modular helmets that are DOT approved in both configurations; chin bar down and locked and flipped all the way back to the rear of the helmet.
    2017 RT-S. F4 Customs Wind Shield.

Spyder Garage

I wear a modular GMAX 54s. It is a comfortable helmet with a good airflow venting system for hot days. It also has a red light on the back that I do turn on when riding at dusk/dark to make myself more visible. So far it has been a good helmet. Prior to this I had a full face Sedici Strada (vended by Cycle Gear in Madison, WI) that also was good to me for a number of years. The old rule of thumb I've heard is helmets should be retired around 5-7 years of age. Anyone else hear that kind of advice?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    I wear a modular GMAX 54s. It is a comfortable helmet with a good airflow venting system for hot days. It also has a red light on the back that I do turn on when riding at dusk/dark to make myself more visible. So far it has been a good helmet. Prior to this I had a full face Sedici Strada (vended by Cycle Gear in Madison, WI) that also was good to me for a number of years. The old rule of thumb I've heard is helmets should be retired around 5-7 years of age. Anyone else hear that kind of advice?
    yes, motorcycle safety class recommends replace every 5 years.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Wife and I have always worn full-face helmets for the added safety. I wear glasses but it only takes about 10 seconds to take them off, put the helmet on and put the glasses back on. If a few seconds save my life, that's a good investment. There is another reason - Arai helmets are the most comfortable for me and they don't even make a modular helmet.
    They don't make a modular because they can't get Snell Certification. That is also why they came out with the "External Flip Up Sun Visor" as Snell will not approve the internal flip up sun visor.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I wear an open face helmet with ear plugs as find full face claustrophobic......
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

I agree on the helmet. Just yesterday I saw a couple on one bike, no helmets (not required in Nevada on a 3 wheeled machine) driving like FOOLS!
    2018 RT Limited White/Chrome.
    BlueSeaSky front & rear dash cam.
    USB plugs
    TechMount cellphone holder
    Squared Away laser alignment.
    BajaRon anti-sway bar and links.
    Dynojet
    Ceramic coated cat delete pipe

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    They don't make a modular because they can't get Snell Certification.
    You keep saying that, but it is misleading. Snell certifies helmets primarily for the RACING community, so yes, their standards will be higher than the regular CONSUMER community. So if a manufacturer is not MAKING a helmet designed to meet RACING standards to begin with, of course they probably won't get a Snell certification. But Snell has 3 different categories of ratings also. Primarily, they will not "certify" a modular helmet because it doesn't meet RACING standards. And yes...as of today, you won't see professional RACING riders wearing modular helmets during competition events.

But that does NOT mean that ALL modular helmets are "unsafe" or aren't "as safe as" a full face helmet for a non-racing environment user JUST BECAUSE Snell won't certify the helmet.

Just because Snell doesn't or won't "certify" a non-racing designed helmet does NOT mean the helmet is unsafe for NORMAL everyday riding use.

For those who want to understand it all, here is the link to the FAQ's Snell site. Well worth reading ALL of it to understand the reality of the situation instead of just blindly implying something like "no modulars are safe because they aren't Snell certified".

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aSAMKdiff
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    You keep saying that, but it is misleading. Snell certifies helmets primarily for the RACING community, so yes, their standards will be higher than the regular CONSUMER community. So if a manufacturer is not MAKING a helmet designed to meet RACING standards to begin with, of course they probably won't get a Snell certification. But Snell has 3 different categories of ratings also. Primarily, they will not "certify" a modular helmet because it doesn't meet RACING standards. And yes...as of today, you won't see professional RACING riders wearing modular helmets during competition events.

But that does NOT mean that ALL modular helmets are "unsafe" or aren't "as safe as" a full face helmet for a non-racing environment user JUST BECAUSE Snell won't certify the helmet.

Just because Snell doesn't or won't "certify" a non-racing designed helmet does NOT mean the helmet is unsafe for NORMAL everyday riding use.

For those who want to understand it all, here is the link to the FAQ's Snell site. Well worth reading ALL of it to understand the reality of the situation instead of just blindly implying something like "no modulars are safe because they aren't Snell certified".

Please Please Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about safety. You even quoted me, and I never said anything about Safety. The Snell Foundation is Located in my town. I have toured their facility, and they have been guests at our club meeting. I know a bit about Snell. It matters not why they will or will not certify a helmet. They have their standards, and modulars do not meet those standards. Full face helmets with interior flip down sun shades do not meet their standards. They would be happy to certify a modular helmet, and they have tested many of them, but they don't meet the minimum standards. In fact most full face helmets don't meet those standards, and are not certified. So I have worn Arai Snell Certified helmets in the past, mainly for comfort as they have great ventilation and for my head shape they fit great. I now where Shoei Neo-Tec 2 not certified by Snell, but safe enough for me. So do me a favor. If you are going to quote me, get it right.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    They would be happy to certify a modular helmet, and they have tested many of them, but they don't meet the minimum standards.
    I wasn't "putting words in your mouth". I quoted your reply to another person's reply about them wearing a full face helmet for the "additional safety" of it. And that the maker of that helmet didn't make modulars. You then said the maker didn't make modulars "because they couldn't get Snell to certify one".

My point in my post was in regards to what your post DOES imply (again) in what I just quoted you again above. The Snell standard is not "the" standard for the entire motorcycle helmet industry. It is "a" standard established by Snell alone. If Snell decides to use their own standard(s) for every helmet, of course some won't meet Snell's requirements. But this thread is full of "implications" that no modular helmet is safe because Snell won't certify them. And that is a wrong impression for any motorcycle forum to express, especially to a potential new rider coming here looking for accurate safety information.

That's all I was saying. So please don't put words in my mouth either. Miscommunication and misunderstanding is a hazard of all written communication.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Yes. Started with BMW helmet in late 80s. Latest is SCHUBERTH C-3 Pro. Very quiet at speeed. Sprung for their comm collar and happy with that as well.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post

"They don't make a modular because they can't get Snell Certification. That is also why they came out with the "External Flip Up Sun Visor" as Snell will not approve the internal flip up sun visor."

Now that is the exact thing I posted. You have an active imagination, or a poor understanding of the English language, neither of which is a bad thing. You even said, "You keep saying that", and I had only made one post on the subject. No where do I make a statement about safety, or that Snell is better than any other rating DOT, or ECE. I merely pointed out that Arai thinks that the Snell certification is important to them and their customers. I also stated that I wore Arai for a while for comfort, not safety. Again stick to your own words, I think you will be better off.

Spyder Garage

Currently wearing Scorpion EXO GT-920 Modular (with sun shield) for both me and the misses and very pleased with them.
    Occasionally wear our HJC Half-helmets, but have been using less since getting the modulars.

We had always used full-face helmets prior. We both wear glasses and find the modulars much easier to put the glasses on with the chin bar up. Also makes it easy to grab the water bottle or chat with a co-rider at a stop light, or open the helmet in traffic.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    Something about my fat head that I can't get on a full face! Only the flip up lets me widen the opening a smidge tugging on the straps to get it on comfortably.
    try the arai quanum x--if you're round/round oval---slight force needed to pull it on /off but really gotten comfortable with the full face security and how well designed it is

Spyder Garage

I would love to have a modular helmet. Unfortunately, I have a long-oval head, and no one makes a modular helmet for that head shape. I tried a Neotec, but it created a monstrously unbearable hot spot on my forehead after about an hour. So I'm stuck with Arai Signets, a full-face helmet.

In the short time I tried the Neotec, I noticed how nose-heavy it was compared to my Arai. Annoyingly so.

Spyder Garage

Nah! They suck!

Icon Airframe Pro Warbird for me.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/166...=c&matchtype=e

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Modular here. Nolan N100-5. Awesome helmet.

2014 RT LTD - Satin Silver
    BajaRon Sway Bar and Links / Outlaw Laser Alignment / Lamonster Cat Delete / Tric LED Headlights / Lamonster LED Fog Lights / Lamonster Magic Mirrors / SpyderPops BumpSkid / Missing Belt Guard / Air Ryde Rock Armour Air Suspension Rock Guard / SpyderFlap Extended Mud Flap / Ultimate Stainless Steel Dual Flag Holders / Kott Stainless Steel Grilles / Lamonster IPS Belt Tensioner / BRP Clear Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors / Roadster Renovations Blindspot Mirrors / Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with Large X-Grip and Drink Holder / Bone Mountain Vintage Driver Backrest Organizer / Show Chrome Trunk Lid Luggage Rack / Lidlox Helmet Lox / Grip Puppies / Hopnel Dash Tri-Pouch / Show Chrome Passenger Armrests / Can Am Spyder Accessories Floating Highway Pegs / Show Chrome Short Spiral Antenna / SpyderZone Rear Saddlebag & Trunk Lid Zippered Pockets
    2014 RT Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I used a full face for over 10 years, then switched to modular (HJC RPHA MAX). Love the helmet, and really like the Pinlock insert. It makes an enormous difference when riding in bad weather. I can remember riding with my full face helmet in bad weather with my visor cracked open to try to keep it from fogging, but the Pinlock solved that.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

I like the modular. I wear a Shoei Neotec II
    2019 F3-S SE6
    Elka Stage 2 Front and Rear w/HYD
    Can-am Dragbar
    F4 Custom 28" Windscreen
    GTR Lighting LED Headlights
    Arc Led Auxiliary lights
    Signature Light
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Akrapovic Sinister Silencer
    FOBO 2 Trike TPMS
    Motorcycle Dave Gel inserts Rider and Passenger
    Foam Grips
    2019 F3-S , Monolith Satin Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    I currently have a modular, a shark evoline 3 and love it. I'm looking to buy another shortly. Dale
    Make that 2 more with Shark. We have the EVO one 2 and love them. The only helmet that I have seen that can be used as full and open face.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue