Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Do we like modular helmets or not???

Guys,
    ever since I have became spYder rYder I did have a modular helmet.
    This spring was the time when I have changed the Schuberth C3 Pro for new C4 Pro

How about you, do you rYde with modular or regular helmets.???

Part 2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As a person who is forced to wear eyeglasses: I'd never wear anything but a modular...
    In fact: we both use Schuberth's C-3 Pro...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

All of my helmets have been modular except for one full face that I won. Modular wins my vote! I wear a Klim.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

When I re-started riding some 30+ years ago, I only wore an open face helmet. I'm not sure modulars were popular then. I don't remember. After a time I began to wear modular in colder and poor weather, switching to open face when it was warm and sunny. I routinely carried 2 helmets and switched as the weather allowed. Several years ago a friend and his wife were in a MC accident. She kept and showed her scrapped up helmet. Lots of road rash on the chin-bar. It saved her face. I no longer own an open face helmet..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I wear a Shoei modular because I also wear eyeglasses.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

I dont know if ours are considered modular or not ? We have the Nolan N40 fulls the chin gurad is removable we
    only ride that way if we stay local all other times the chin guards are installed. Yes we both wear glasses and we dont seem to have an issue yet
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    I dont know if ours are considered modular or not ? We have the Nolan N40 fulls the chin gurad is removable we
    only ride that way if we stay local all other times the chin guards are installed. Yes we both wear glasses and we dont seem to have an issue yet
    Dave
    N40's are considered modular.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We have been Nolan modular customers for years. Bought the latest and greatest two years ago...they are still going fine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Toss me in with the modulars.....

I have had modular helmets since they first came out. Glasses or no glasses they are the best for me and my kind of ryding. Currently have the HJC and it does a good job. May be time for a new one and will have to consider all the newer models....9
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I currently have a modular, a shark evoline 3 and love it. I'm looking to buy another shortly. Dale

Spyder Garage

Modular because of eyeglasses.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Modular for me. Most of the common complaints about them aren't true anymore (but once were).

1. Quality ones are certified both U.S. DOT and European ECE (more stringent requirements than DOT) safety standards. This includes the lockable chin bar. It is required to meet stringent ("I won't open or fail in an accident") standards that used to be a major argument against them in the past. My 2010 Shark Evoline modular took a beating (literally) in my accident 3 years ago. Several impact points all over the helmet, including the chin bar. It stayed closed. Even the emergency responders at the scene remarked they were surprised it didn't open based on the impact damage to it, and EMT's see lots of motorcycle accidents to compare helmets.

2. I wear glasses like many others.

The following is my opinion only (and many other's too, but it's up to you). The ONLY time I would ride with my chin bar up was if I was riding very slowly AND it was uncomfortably hot at that speed to have it closed, like in rush hour bumper-to-bumper stop and go traffic in Las Vegas in August at high noon (to get out of or back into town for a road trip). Anything else defeats the purpose of having the "full face" protection of the helmet, and is just plain foolish to me. The chin bar isn't going to do you any good in a face-plant asphalt slide if it is not closed. Dragging your chin across asphalt at even 10 MPH is gonna really ruin your day (and much more too). So if you are planning to ride with the chin bar up and the wind in your face at 30 MPH when it's 70-degrees out, just buy a 3/4 and save your money. Get a baklava for cold weather. But if you still insist on doing it, do your research and get a modular that is now designed to RELEASE itself from the opened up position if you are sliding on the ground and it catches on something...so you won't "get hung" and break your neck.

(My new Shoei for my new Spyder is modular. I tried a current Shark again, but they changed their head shape and all the Sharks are too tight on me now)
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Modular since 1999. Open face before that

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My primary helmet is a modular; Shoei Neotec.
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    I currently have a modular, a shark evoline 3 and love it. I'm looking to buy another shortly. Dale
    How much wind noise do you get with that? The earlier Evoline's were some of the windiest & noisiest helmets around, especially with the chin bar flipped up, but Shark tell us they've done a lot of work to make the Evoline 3 a heap quieter in both the open & closed positions.... I haven't found anyone locally yet who's been brave enough to shell out the $$ after being burnt so badly by the earlier versions, so I've been unable to find a 'rider/wearer' comparison between the earlier versions & version 3 nor get any wearer impressions on the latest Evoline - so please, what do you reckon?

Just as an aside, & I don't really know if it applies to anywhere but Aus/NZ, but down here I have it on good authority that the Shark Evolines are the ONLY modular helmets with swivel type chin bars that have received all the necessary Safety & ADR/EU type approvals in both their open & closed positions - all the rest are only fully approved with the chin bar locked down & the face shield shut! So for many of those riders, especially those who wear these helmets for work here Down Under, that effectively means it's either a Shark Evoline (with all the wind noise in the older versions) or a full face helmet!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

3rd HJC modular here, now with retractable shades No glasses needed but regular hydration & or occasional sneeze made me upgrade. Started with a 1/2shell, still functions as a emergency legal spare. The ease of moving the chin bar when needed is great. Never cared or even tried the fixed chin full face.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    How much wind noise do you get with that?
    As a full-face helmet wearer, I have Peter's question plus another that may be stupid, but why is wearing glasses such a nudge towards a modular?

Quick explanation: I wear glasses for distance vision, but do fine without them from a "seeing stuff that matters" standpoint, including being able to read signs at speed, etc. I'm pretty new to motorcycling, and bought my first helmet only a little over a year ago. I was definitely going to get something with a chin bar, and everyone I talked to said the modulars were convenient but noisy, so I never gave them much consideration.

I'm happy with my full face (HJC), but if modulars accommodate glasses more readily -- and aren't as noisy as I've been told -- I'd give them a harder look next time. Thanks.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I would prefer a modular but still wear a full face.

There are no modulars currently available from mainstream manufactures with a Snell safety rating. In fact most modulars are LESS effective than 3/4 helmets in a crash due to the chin bar and hinge CAUSING injury when they come loose. This is also why Arai still does not build any modular helmets. All Arai helmets are Snell certified. Arai and Shoei have been working on the problem for years but to date have not produced anything that works and is effective.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

KLIM Carbon Fiber Modular for me. HJC RPHA MAX Modular for the wife. The lightest we could buy at the time we bought. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I have worn several iterations of the Nolan N- series. They work for me
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I would prefer a modular but still wear a full face.

There are no modulars currently available from mainstream manufactures with a Snell safety rating. In fact most modulars are LESS effective than 3/4 helmets in a crash due to the chin bar and hinge CAUSING injury when they come loose. This is also why Arai still does not build any modular helmets. All Arai helmets are Snell certified. Arai and Shoei have been working on the problem for years but to date have not produced anything that works and is effective.
    I read the earlier post stating the modular helmets met DOT. Previously, when shopping for helmets, I looked at many modular helmets. After reading about and watching of how the face coverage portion opens in a crash, I opted away from modular helmets.

Ultimately, we went with Shoei GT Airs. These are a full coverage helmet, what some call full face.

Possibly, when we need to replace these, I will revisit the modulars. It will be tough though since these are very cool to ride in with the vents open and have no percieved buffetting from airflow.

Spyder Garage

On the glasses, it is typically easier to flip a modular chin bar up, put on glasses, then move bar down/up as needed. Makes putting glasses on similar to no hemet at all.

On noise.....it REALLY depends on the helmet. Modulars will have more noise, but if you get a high end one it is not significantly more. Right now I have a Shoei Neotec and it is pretty quiet. Before that I had a Schuberth. Both are excellent and pretty quiet. I had an HJC and it was moderate, but that was years back and not one of their higher end ones. I've read that HJC now has some serious contenders. Bottom line, typically the more expensive modulars are quieter (not always but), the ones you get for $200 are typically loud(er).

After having both types (modular/full), the convince of a modular is too great to pass up. Ig you get one with a pop down shade, makes them even more compelling.

One final note, and this is a "do not do (but I do), in slower traffic and heat, I put the chin bar up and the shade down. That ways eyes are protected, but you get some breeze. This is not an advised configuration, but still beats no hemet at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bhern View Post
    As a full-face helmet wearer, I have Peter's question plus another that may be stupid, but why is wearing glasses such a nudge towards a modular?

Quick explanation: I wear glasses for distance vision, but do fine without them from a "seeing stuff that matters" standpoint, including being able to read signs at speed, etc. I'm pretty new to motorcycling, and bought my first helmet only a little over a year ago. I was definitely going to get something with a chin bar, and everyone I talked to said the modulars were convenient but noisy, so I never gave them much consideration.

I'm happy with my full face (HJC), but if modulars accommodate glasses more readily -- and aren't as noisy as I've been told -- I'd give them a harder look next time. Thanks.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Modular HJC with retractable shades and I also wear glasses.
    Most of my friends ride harleys and its hard to talk with a full face on at stop lights.(Usually they don't wear anything But a Dew rag)
    Cooler in the summer time when it gets very warm out.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Got my c3 pro during the winter, only used it once. i checked into c3 & c4 a lot before buying, revzilla & others said c3 is preferred.

Spyder Garage

I wear a Shoei RJ Air 3/4 helemet anytime temps are above 55*. Nolan N103 modular for when it's rainy or below 55*. If going on a longer/overnight trip, I bring both (in case it rains). Thankfully the top case on my F3 Ltd can hold two helmets. Never cared too much for closed helmets as I find they detract from the "open air" experience of riding a motorcycle. The modular is a compromise for me, but beats having rain and cold in my face. The flip-down sun shade is an added bonus.
    2018 Spyder F3 Limited
    Pearl white/dark
    2018 F3 Limited , White pearl