Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

"How about you, do you rYde with modular or regular helmets.???"

Both my wife and I use modular helmets.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Looked at modulars, but was unable to find one that fit properly (size 8 and 1/8 head, long and narrow). Have found that Arai works best for me.
    current ryde: 2017 RT-S

previous bikes:
    1975 Yamaha RD 200, 1978 Honda CX 500, 1980 Yamaha SR 500, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550,
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650LT
    2017 RT-S , bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I would prefer a modular but still wear a full face.

There are no modulars currently available from mainstream manufactures with a Snell safety rating. In fact most modulars are LESS effective than 3/4 helmets in a crash due to the chin bar and hinge CAUSING injury when they come loose. This is also why Arai still does not build any modular helmets. All Arai helmets are Snell certified. Arai and Shoei have been working on the problem for years but to date have not produced anything that works and is effective.
    I realize this is limited personal experience but I have been down twice in modular helmets and neither experienced chin bar loosening or helmet ejection either during or after the accidents. Though both helmets did their job and as a result were compromised. I continue to wear a modular helmet and feel from personal experience they are quite safe.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Another Modular....Shoei Neotec wouldn't go back to full face, never had a open face

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

As usual, I am bucking the trend. Modular's have gotten better over the years. But I am a full face guy. I wear glasses but have no problem with a full face and glasses. I've had some neck injuries and weight is very important to me. So is frontal coverage so a 3/4 helmet does not appeal.

Modulars are always going to be heavier. They used to be real bricks. But weight has been engineered down over time. Full face helmets have also gotten lighter.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-16-2019 at 02:00 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    How much wind noise do you get with that? The earlier Evoline's were some of the windiest & noisiest helmets around, especially with the chin bar flipped up, but Shark tell us they've done a lot of work to make the Evoline 3 a heap quieter in both the open & closed positions.... I haven't found anyone locally yet who's been brave enough to shell out the $$ after being burnt so badly by the earlier versions, so I've been unable to find a 'rider/wearer' comparison between the earlier versions & version 3 nor get any wearer impressions on the latest Evoline - so please, what do you reckon?

Just as an aside, & I don't really know if it applies to anywhere but Aus/NZ, but down here I have it on good authority that the Shark Evolines are the ONLY modular helmets with swivel type chin bars that have received all the necessary Safety & ADR/EU type approvals in both their open & closed positions - all the rest are only fully approved with the chin bar locked down & the face shield shut! So for many of those riders, especially those who wear these helmets for work here Down Under, that effectively means it's either a Shark Evoline (with all the wind noise in the older versions) or a full face helmet!

Shark Evo 3 for both my wife and I. I use it both with the chin guard up and down depending. Up when in town and when I have a warm tumbler of coffee I'm sipping on in winter time, or a cold soft drink in the summer. I wear prescription sun glasses most all the time so I use the detachable face shield mainly at night. I have about two strips of black tape on the sun shield to block that (dam) morning and late afternoon blinding sun. It's easily adjustable so I don't use it all the time. Wind noise? None because I have Sena 20s ear pieces for communication and AM/FM radio so if there was wind noise I don't really hear it. I also have Bluetooth hearing aids which give me several more options. Fit? The Evo 3's are made to fit the North American head shape. The Evo 1's and 2's were more of a fit for European heads. Ours fit very well and are comfortable for long periods of time. As for any helmet it may very well take some time to break-in. If I ever buy another Shark I think I'll get it with the smaller cheek pads. They are interchangeable for a more custom fit. Shark Evo 3 has been the most versatile and comfortable helmet I've owned. Love it, love it, love it! By the way, I believe the new ratchet chin strap is DOT approved. I never did like those darn D-rings, and Lid Locks works well with the ratchet strap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 3/4 for me

I wear a HJC FG Jet. It's a 3/4 face. The reason I like it: the shield coverage gets the entire face, down to the chin. I found that modulars and full face helmets didn't seem to provide as much space to peer out of that 3/4 and 1/2 helmets do. Most 3/4 and 1/2 helmets don't have the chin protection, but the Jet's shield goes down to the chin. My last get-off, the Spyder was totaled, the helmet was totaled, but I got away with broken ribs and a mild concussion. As soon as I decided to ryde again, I bought the exact same helmet.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I read the earlier post stating the modular helmets met DOT. Previously, when shopping for helmets, I looked at many modular helmets. After reading about and watching of how the face coverage portion opens in a crash, I opted away from modular helmets.

Ultimately, we went with Shoei GT Airs. These are a full coverage helmet, what some call full face.

Possibly, when we need to replace these, I will revisit the modulars. It will be tough though since these are very cool to ride in with the vents open and have no percieved buffetting from airflow.
    SNELL rating is not the same as DOT & the "chin bar opens in a crash" is not 100% of time, as well as can not prove if the bar was properly latched 100% of the crashes reported. Are 100%more effective than those with NO helmet.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

This is probably gonna upset some people, but I'm a realist. So.....

If ANY helmet is "too noisy", it simply means you aren't wearing enough ear protection. With today's technology, you can find $20 earplugs in all sizes that are not foam and won't muffle every sound you hear. Musicians earplugs are great for riding.

If you were riding WITHOUT a helmet at all, would you still be complaining about the "wind noise" or how noisy riding as a whole is? I wouldn't, because I know I am getting on a vehicle with my butt 6 inches above the engine and my head sticking out in the windstream most of the time (I quit sticking my head out of my family's car windows when I was a little boy because my Dad told me not to...now I don't do it because I know better myself). I want my helmet manufacturer to place the quality of the SAFETY of the helmet first. If they can do that and make it quiet too, great. If not, give me the helmet and I'll fix the "noise problem" with proper ear protection.

We spend 5-figures on our bikes. Thousands more on addons, riding gear, and yes...helmets. Don't put the "noise factor" at a higher priority than your safety factor. Yes, some helmets are "noisier" than others. But ALL helmets can be made quiet with proper ear protection, without compromising your ability to hear music clearly, talk over intercoms clearly, or still be able to maintain "Situational Awareness" around you while riding.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Love my modular Shoei Neotec helmet. When im in town, I lift the lid, and enjoy the fresh air for a bit. Nice when fueling too. I like the versatility

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron,

Re: I wear glasses but have no problem with a full face and glasses.

I thought that I posted a reply on this thread yesterday; I'm in the middle of upgrading to Win 10 & it looks like it did not post.

These days I have to wear glasses to drive/ride. I have a full face & I almost always ride with the faceshield up so I can hear better. I take my glasses off, put on my helmet, flip the faceshied up, put on my glasses & am ready to ride.

Works for me,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Ron,

Re: I wear glasses but have no problem with a full face and glasses.

I take my glasses off, put on my helmet, flip the faceshied up, put on my glasses & am ready to ride.

Works for me,

Jerry Baumchen
    Works for me too. Some full face helmets do give glasses wearer's issues. But certainly, not all.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    SNELL rating is not the same as DOT & the "chin bar opens in a crash" is not 100% of time, as well as can not prove if the bar was properly latched 100% of the crashes reported. Are 100%more effective than those with NO helmet.
    Your point is vague.
    As for what I watched was lab testing of modular helmets. I would highly doubt that for testing, lab workers would incorrectly latch a helmet.

Your comment about 100% effective is likely supposed to read, at least to complete your comment, that any helmet is 100% better than no helmet.

Regarding DOT rated vs Snell rated, I agree they are different ratings. I would prefer Snell over DOT, but sadly our Shoei GT Airs are not Snell rated. As I understand it, the flip down internal eyeshade has something to do with this.

I live and ride in a state that does not require motorcyclists to wear helmets. As a racer, rider and competitor, I do not agree with this. However, the law was changed, on account of those persons wanting to ride without a helmet. Almost daily, I see riders without helmets, riding in a way to endanger themselves and others. When injuries happen, overall, I simply accept that they rode as they chose too. They, not I, created the situation that their families are thrown into.

I am not here to debate whether or not to wear a helmet. Nor am I here to condemn modular is inferior to full coverage. It is not my place to tell someone they should ride with a helmet or ride with a certain style helmet. Ride with whatever, if anything you prefer. Your safety is your own decision.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I realize this is limited personal experience but I have been down twice in modular helmets and neither experienced chin bar loosening or helmet ejection either during or after the accidents. Though both helmets did their job and as a result were compromised. I continue to wear a modular helmet and feel from personal experience they are quite safe.
    Actual testing by Snell and the main manufactures of helmets have shown otherwise. Your 2 incidents of anecdotal evidence do not show much of anything other than luck.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    DOT = Manufacture says trust us, we made a safe helmet to meet your specs. No testing of actual model sold.
    SNELL = Show me and prove it. Actual test of the actual model being sold by a certified third party testing lab.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have a prosthetic jaw (Bilateral TMJ replacement with a Laforte osteotomy ). Since I had this done I have not been able to find any full face/modular helmet that I can wear. With in seconds of putting them on I'm in intense pain. So I found an AVG open face that fits me and doesn't put pressure on the jaw. I had to wear the short half helmets for years until the surgery was done. Closest to a full face that I could wear was the Nolan n43 Trilogy which isn't made any longer.
    BKMNI
    RWP!
    2018 F3 Limited
    Intense Red Pearl

2015 Harley Davidson
    FLRT "Freewheeler"
    Vivid Black

2018 F3 Limited Dark , Stock Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Helmet shopping is no easy task, get it right out of the box hopefully, going back for a different 'feel' get expensive these days.

Spyder Garage

A side tracked question, i was in Florida last week and the number of people riding without a helmet and even without a tshirt is crazy it was giving me goosebumps just watching them. For me it's common sense to wear one whether law requires it or not. Do you guys wear a helmet because you have to or you know better ?
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lose some skin one time will cure that macho riding thing. Anyone who has taken a shower with missing skin knows what I mean.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I read the earlier post stating the modular helmets met DOT. Previously, when shopping for helmets, I looked at many modular helmets. After reading about and watching of how the face coverage portion opens in a crash, I opted away from modular helmets.

Ultimately, we went with Shoei GT Airs. These are a full coverage helmet, what some call full face.

Possibly, when we need to replace these, I will revisit the modulars. It will be tough though since these are very cool to ride in with the vents open and have no percieved buffetting from airflow.
    Look for modulars with metal pins. The ones with plastic pins break allowing the helmet to open. Most have now gone to metal pins. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no helmet half helmet when required

Spyder Garage

I normally wear a 3/4 helmet but switch to a modular in poor weather.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

Any safety gear is a personal choice thing. There are many pros and cons to ANY piece of safety gear chosen.

For me, there is a happy medium somewhere being ATGATT and dressing up like the Michelin Man vs. wearing no safety gear at all.

I choose to be more on the ATGATT side. It is a conscious decision for us and we know that we are not perfect in every choice.

As mentioned earlier, we choose to use modular vs. full face. Linda cannot wear full because of the fear of being confined.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wife and I have always worn full-face helmets for the added safety. I wear glasses but it only takes about 10 seconds to take them off, put the helmet on and put the glasses back on. If a few seconds save my life, that's a good investment. There is another reason - Arai helmets are the most comfortable for me and they don't even make a modular helmet.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Look for modulars with metal pins. The ones with plastic pins break allowing the helmet to open. Most have now gone to metal pins. Tom
    Thank you but currently we are enjoying the full coverage and comfort of the Shoei GT Airs we ride in. Excellent vent system and cooling, plus visor setting that allows added airflow if needed.