Spyder Garage

Default Frunk Won't Unlatch

I just got my '14 RT Basic model back from the shop. I opened the frunk once but now cannot. I watched the video published by Finless Bob I found on a forum search. His model has a solenoid that opens the lock. I do not have that (it's how they saved money on the build) so I'm now trying to find a way to open the frunk by myself. I do have a stick of TNT but am trying to not use that unless I just have to. Barring that, any suggestions how to open the frunk. Is there tupperware to remove to get to the cable? The frunk is not overfilled, just a jacket inside.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So have you pushed down on the key and turned it and it won’t open?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They have not had the release swiitch since 2012 so the key is the way to open it. You can try pushing down on the lid while you turn the key, if you’ve got something jammed in there that method usually works.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If pushing doesn’t work try this https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ht=Frunk+stuck
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

It's possible the gasket that seals the frunk may have partially slipped off the top lip. I have had this problem once but the frunk would not latch and that was the giveaway. Press down firmly on the frunk lid right at the center of the V and turn the key CCW. If that doesn't work I am certain someone can advise how to unlatch it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Read my post #4 using that LINK ….. I have done it for a few folks and it works ….. Mike ....This will work if your cable has broken or come dis-lodged from the ignition switch barrel ….. ( not un-common ) …. then you can put an Emerg. ( or not ) cable to open it that way …..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've found you have to be very deliberate when operating the key to open the frunk or the seat. If not, you're going to have trouble at some point in time with the mechanism. Not one of BRP's finer points of R&D. Like BK911 mentioned, make yourself a hidden safety release for when you really need it. You won't be sorry.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for your responses. I was thinking major bike overhaul (I'm a pessimist by trade) but...Following some suggestions, I got a strong friend to push down on the center latch while I operated the key. It opened. As as had been suggested, I checked the gasket. Yep. That was it. About two weeks ago I had the bike in the shop for some factory maintenance (cam shaft sensor error). It is obvious they didn't properly re install the gasket. And an aside, they also did not re install the two screws that hold the battery cover in place. Really sloppy for very high prices. They also left the bike in the rain two weeks while 'waiting for parts.' My last trip to that shop. But that's on me. The repair shop here that stopped selling Spyders and can no longer work on them, always kept the bike inside. These folks "don't have room inside for all the bikes". Thinking they would protect my bike I forgot to take the rain cover over. Won't happen again. Bottom line, the frunk now easily opens. I added some 3 in 1 But as I said, thanks all!!!

Spyder Garage

There are 2 routes to thread the release cable between the latch and the key switch. if your frunk opens and closes easily, its in the right path. If you have issues or inconsistent opening of the frunk, then the area around the key needs to be disassembled and the cable routing changed. I had to have this done on both my wife's RT-S and mine.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark