Thread: White key

Spyder Garage

Default White key

Anyone else think the white key looks a little funky on a black bike? Half tempted to paint it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    Anyone else think the white key looks a little funky on a black bike? Half tempted the paint it.
    Hah, I had the exact same thought. White just doesn't match the aesthetics of the beast. I also don't like the no keyring hole issue. I know that they have the ball mount for your key ring, but it just seems too flimsy to me. I'm just not accustomed to having a watercraft/snowmobile key for a street bike. ;-)

I was thinking about trying a couple of different options on mine:

1. The whole back end of the key (opposite the claw) could be shoved into some heavy-duty heat-shrink tubing (black or whatever color you prefer). Apply a little heat (not too much) and voila... you have a ruggedized black key. The end of the heat-shrink can be cut to your desired length, heated up a bit and then flattened out. Punch a hole in the end of the flat part for your key fob, short lanyard, or whatever else suits your fancy.

2. Wrap the "neck" of the key with some thin, high-strength cordage like Lash-It or Zing-It (Dyneema, Amsteel, etc) to create your own lanyard or whatever to give more girth and purchase to the plastic.

In either of those cases, the lanyard, key fob, or keyring option would need to be low profile and not get snagged by your leg or flap around in the breeze. Both of those options are also reversible if you change your mind.

I'm used to having closed leather fobs on all of my bikes to bind multiple keys together and to keep them from scratching the triple-tree. Ryker owners that opt for the saddlebag/pannier case will also have an extra key to manage... no easy way to keep them together with the current key design.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Default Hang in there....

Many did not like the sheath holder for the spyders and in short order the aftermarket guys came up with a lot of solutions. As for the color....well paint is cheap but there are other ways but I'm not carzy about its location anyway. Not to worry though... I don't have one...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QuasiMotard View Post
    Hah, I had the exact same thought. White just doesn't match the aesthetics of the beast. I also don't like the no keyring hole issue. I know that they have the ball mount for your key ring, but it just seems too flimsy to me. I'm just not accustomed to having a watercraft/snowmobile key for a street bike. ;-)

I was thinking about trying a couple of different options on mine:

1. The whole back end of the key (opposite the claw) could be shoved into some heavy-duty heat-shrink tubing (black or whatever color you prefer). Apply a little heat (not too much) and voila... you have a ruggedized black key. The end of the heat-shrink can be cut to your desired length, heated up a bit and then flattened out. Punch a hole in the end of the flat part for your key fob, short lanyard, or whatever else suits your fancy.

2. Wrap the "neck" of the key with some thin, high-strength cordage like Lash-It or Zing-It (Dyneema, Amsteel, etc) to create your own lanyard or whatever to give more girth and purchase to the plastic.

In either of those cases, the lanyard, key fob, or keyring option would need to be low profile and not get snagged by your leg or flap around in the breeze. Both of those options are also reversible if you change your mind.

I'm used to having closed leather fobs on all of my bikes to bind multiple keys together and to keep them from scratching the triple-tree. Ryker owners that opt for the saddlebag/pannier case will also have an extra key to manage... no easy way to keep them together with the current key design.

--
    QM
    Ryker fob?IMG_8827.jpg
    Good fold of leather stitched together should work nicely, wonder if BRP will offer to new owners again?IMG_3521.JPG

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

You can take the fob off when it is running. It is needed only to start it. Check the ryker manual.

Spyder Garage

You're exactly right and that is probly going to be my solution. Is the radio signal of this fob strong enough that you can simply leave it in your pocket and start the byke? I haven't tried that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by watertowerman View Post
    You can take the fob off when it is running. It is needed only to start it. Check the ryker manual.
    Yep, I noticed that in the manual. That might become a new habit, just so I don't leave accidentally leave it on the bike. It's just odd to me to use that type of key on a road vehicle. I feel like I'm getting on my SeaDoo GTX, but the plug isn't on the bars and the floatie/tether is missing. ;-) It's just a new habit to learn... I'll adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    You're exactly right and that is probly going to be my solution. Is the radio signal of this fob strong enough that you can simply leave it in your pocket and start the byke? I haven't tried that.
    That would be ideal, so it behaves similar to any recent keyless automobile. Sadly, I'm not with my Ryker to test the theory. My suspicion is that it is a near-proximity RFID chip that needs to be powered by an inductor/transducer in the post. Automotive keyless fobs are self-powered with a battery and use slightly higher power to operate/communicate up to ~30 feet from the vehicle.

--
    QM

Spyder Garage

Well, I just couldn't take it anymore. I painted that white key gloss black and now I can sleep much more comfortably knowing that the key does not stand out like a sore thumb on the side of my tricycle. Life is once again good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I just couldn't take it anymore. I painted that white key gloss black and now I can sleep much more comfortably knowing that the key does not stand out like a sore thumb on the side of my tricycle. Life is once again good.
    If you ever walk away and LEAVE it in the ignition.......because it did NOT stick out like a sore thumb......you might change your mind.

Spyder Garage

I consider that before taking this big step. However, even with the key IN, I don't think anybody could figure out how to start the thing!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't think anybody could figure out how to start the thing!
    Except those who have already stolen one!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have always used Lamont’s Key knob and no one ever realized it was the actual key!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I have always used Lamont’s Key knob and no one ever realized it was the actual key!
    You're referring to his In Plain Sight key knob, right? The Ryker doesn't use a key, just a fob that slips over a small plastic knob.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I think I was more surprised about where the key--fob--knob grabber-- etc.. went, than what color it was.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hi all painted my key RED to match panels + top of parking brake Nico75

Spyder Garage

Has to be attached to start. Then you can remove it if you want to.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride