Spyder Garage

Default F3 gremlins? Ugh

Well, my 2015 F3-S SM6 is unridable AGAIN... with only 3500 miles on the odo, it once again runs like poo. Details:

Starts right up, runs perfectly for a few seconds, then settles into a sputter/almost stalling at idle, with backfiring if the throttle is twisted. Jerks pretty hard if attempted to ride (so of course I don't ride it) Previously, it had gone to the dealer multiple times for a similar issue, but threw error codes (02 sensor and shift angle sensor, of which they replaced the 02 sensor on the second visit). But this time, it is not throwing error codes. Hesitant to send it back to the dealer, because it's out of warranty and I'm out of money ha ha. Meanwhile, I bought a new battery, put fresh gas in it (in case there was an issue with the previous batch of gas). No difference.

Then it started having the headlights come on randomly, even with the key nowhere near the ignition. So it didn't take long to drain the new battery. Seriously, gremlins?

I guess I might have no choice but to send it to the dealer again... but is there anything I should check beforehand? I'm not familiar with all the electronic equipment in this machine, but I am pretty handly with general mechanical stuff, so willing to try something if you folks have any brilliant thoughts
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the serious issues you are having , I'm sure it is very frustrating for you, hoping things will soon turn around for you in a positive way.
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Some strange stuff there.... Have you checked the air filter area for possible rodents who can nest and block air flow as well as dine on the wiring. ?? Have seen those symptoms on some bikes I worked on. But this may need some looking into with the BUDS....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting mix of problems. Lights coming on randomly? There is an electrical or computer problem somewhere.

Dare I suggest trying a different dealer? Sounds like the current one either does not have a clue or is making it worse.

Let us know what you find out this time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have seen 2 2015 F3s do this. Both turned out to be dropped valves after lots of testing and fixing attempts. For your sake, I really hope this is not what is going on with yours. I strongly suggest you ask your dealer to perform a compression check on all 3 cylinders.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I have seen 2 2015 F3s do this. Both turned out to be dropped valves after lots of testing and fixing attempts. For your sake, I really hope this is not what is going on with yours. I strongly suggest you ask your dealer to perform a compression check on all 3 cylinders.
    Oh my gosh, that would stink. Thankfully, my 2011 RSS is running wonderfully... so that's something. Yeah, good idea on the compression test. But UGH.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Interesting mix of problems. Lights coming on randomly? There is an electrical or computer problem somewhere.

Dare I suggest trying a different dealer? Sounds like the current one either does not have a clue or is making it worse.

Let us know what you find out this time.
    The bike has gone to 2 different dealers already. There first were total nincompoops lol. The second seemed ok, except for these new problems that arose, after not that many miles in the shop. We'll see. In the mean time, I ride the trusty 2011 RSS (which is paid off) while still making payments on the F3S ha ha
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6