Spyder Garage

Default My first breakdown

Beautiful riding day ruined by my first breakdown. Coming home, I went to shift from 3rd to 4th and then felt a brief hesitation. Thought I had missed the shift paddle, then realized it was stuck in 3rd. Starts up ok, still shows 3rd and the throttle lags when turned. No codes showing. So, here I sit on the side of the road waiting for BRP roadside service to send me a flatbed......
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

by your left foot sounds like your shifter arm came off

Spyder Garage

Dang! Hope it's an easy repair!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Bummer.... sure hope the fix is quick and painless. Good Luck.
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I’ll have to look at the shifter arm tomorrow. Having it towed home first. Bummer-BRP just called and told me that the original tow company they called no longer handles these services. Waiting for them to locate any company.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

On the fence wins! I can see the dang thing hanging loose now. If I only had some tools now. ��
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

So when I get the shift rod back on, should everything turn to normal or will something have to be reset? I have it partially back on the shaft but it still shows 3rd and will not shift of move.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    So when I get the shift rod back on, should everything turn to normal or will something have to be reset? I have it partially back on the shaft but it still shows 3rd and will not shift of move.
    1. Partially back on the shaft ?????
    2. When you put it back on did you line up the dot on the shaft with the slot in the arm?
    3. Are the splines in the arm stripped?
    4. Also you may need a new bolt in the arm to prevent a recurance.
    Good luck.
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Been there done that, I had to use a cell phone camera to get the visual angle to line the dot on the shift shaft with the slot in the arm as Explorer mentions above.
    And had to remove the bolt to allow the shift arm back on the shaft, then replace and tighten the bolt.
    Ultimately replaced the shift arm.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Didn’t see those markings as it was getting dark. I’ll look tomorrow in daylight. The splines on the shaft and the arm are intact. Didn’t have any tools to loosen the bolt but it was tight. Looks like it may have just slipped off for some unknown reason,
    as when I attempted to push it on,it I was just barely able to get it to hold. Anyway, I’ll trailer it over to the dealer tomorrow.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Didn’t see those markings as it was getting dark. I’ll look tomorrow in daylight. The splines on the shaft and the arm are intact. Didn’t have any tools to loosen the bolt but it was tight. Looks like it may have just slipped off for some unknown reason,
    as when I attempted to push it on,it I was just barely able to get it to hold. Anyway, I’ll trailer it over to the dealer tomorrow.
    The bolt fits in a groove around the shaft. Pull the bolt all the way out and examin it for ware along its length. That ware is what allowed the arm to slide off the shaft. What’s left of the bolt is keeping the arm from sliding completely onto the shaft now.
    Good luck.
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Arnie...Is there a tool kit under the saddle, like F3s have?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Pulled the shift lever off of the end of the connecting rod last nite. Had to hold in a padded vise to break loose the pinch bolt. Nothing was worn out. So I was able to put the lever back onto the splined shaft and cranked it down firmly and there was absolutely so free play or wiggle, so it somehow over time,it had just worked itself loose and fell off.
    I just could not move either the lever or connecting rod to attach them together as there was about a 3/4 inch distance between their centers. So, I loaded it up on the trailer and hauled it to the Cam_Am dealership and dropped it off for them to fix it. Should be a simple fix , they said , so I left and waited for their call as I ran some errands.
    They called be back about 5:30 Pm to tell me that they would have to order a few parts, so they would not be in til next Tuesday or Wednesday. Bummer, I said, because I am leaving Virginia on Monday to go to Florida to deal with some of my mother's recent health issues and I was hoping to take the bike with me. And I may be one week or several depending on the circumstances, so I am not certain when I will be returning. Furthermore, the service advisor says that the repair will cost me about $350. Wait a minute - the bike was purchased brand new on Mar 17 2017 and was still technically under BRP's two year warranty, and that I also had a 3 year BEST warranty. And they have a sign that states they will charge daily storage fees for any bike not picked up within 48 hours of the repairs being made.
    So, the guy says he will check with his service manager about the issues involved and see what will happen.
    When he calls back, he says that they will waive the storage fees due to my circumstances, but they could not be sure if they could actually store the bike inside while I was gone. I told him this was a garage kept bike and I did not want it outside for however long it might be for me to get back.
    I asked to speak directly to the service manager, who was not aware of, and apparently not the service advisor, that the bike was indeed less than 2 years old even though it was a 2014 model sold brand new from a crate from their dealership. So, he stated that he would be making some new calls to BRP to clear up this matter.
    He still could not confirm that it could be stored inside but offered to put two covers over it if I wanted them to. There was a final option of having the bike delivered to my home after it was fixed as long as my wife could be there to accept it and let them place it into the garage. Fat chance at that as she is always claiming to be too busy doing nothing......
    Geez.......
    But, my main issue is that the repair should be covered in its entirety as the breakdown was not something due to owner negligence, such as letting the crankcase run dry, or not checking my coolant, etc.

Oh well, such is life.........
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Arnie...Is there a tool kit under the saddle, like F3s have?
    In the frunk, but it was useless......
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Its always something!

I always went the extra mile for the customers.

Hope you mom gets well soon and keep us posted when you get everything straightened out.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Arnie did it several times on my wifes bike if you search the net you can find how to put back on. if I remember right it was a 7/16 wrench and a allan wrench cant remember the size, take bolt out of shaft and put it back on the out put shaft then it should shift to Neutral. take off the shaft and you may need to reposition it put bolt back in and tighten up. it is going to happen again so put wrenches in your pouch.

Spyder Garage

Yes, that was my original way of thinking about it when it happened. However, since it was towed under the BRP Roadside Assistance program, I left it at the dealer to be absolutely certain that there was nothing else wrong since it was/still under warranty.
    I was also scheduled to leave for Florida a few days afterwards to deal with some medical issues with my mother and did not have time to deal with it myself.
    So, I am still down in FL and the Spyder is still up North in Virginia
    Good idea on carrying those tools since the inclosed tool bag is sadly lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by on the fence View Post
    Arnie did it several times on my wifes bike if you search the net you can find how to put back on. if I remember right it was a 7/16 wrench and a allan wrench cant remember the size, take bolt out of shaft and put it back on the out put shaft then it should shift to Neutral. take off the shaft and you may need to reposition it put bolt back in and tighten up. it is going to happen again so put wrenches in your pouch.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Spyder Garage

Question

Follow-up.

Still down south in Florida dealing with the medical issues involving my mother.

Received a call from the dealership yesterday advising me that the needed “parts” finally arrived for the repair. Still don’t know why all of these “parts” were needed to re-attach the shift lever, but that is a concern for the dealer and the warranty coverage. My rookie service advisor appears to still be learning the ropes, so I did not want to confuse him by asking too many questions.

He did advise that they would be completing the “repairs” this week and would call me when done.

When he does call, I will request verification that they would be able to store the Spyder either inside or covered up if left outside as it has always been garage kept and I would prefer it not to be left outside as I am still not certain when I will be leaving FL to go back to VA. This was assurance I received from the Service Manager.

I can also have it delivered back to my house when done if I could only convince my wife to co-operate and be available so they can drop it off in the driveway and push it back into the garage......however, she is another story.....
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

sending for your Mom ….. sounds like the issue will be corrected ...…………….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Finally back home in Virginia. Got Mom into a better rehab facility.

Anyway, back to business. I picked up the Spyder from the dealer yesterday. All seems good now and I certainly hope it stays that way. Everything was covered by the warranty. There was a list of about 10 parts on the work order and I have no idea why so many were needed, but since I wasn’t paying, I did not push them for details.
    Supposed to be great weather here for the next few days, so I will be getting out and about.
    2014 ST-S Cognac