Thread: Gas spill off

Spyder Garage

Default Gas spill off

I couldn’t find it in the manual, but did you guys know about the gas spill-off? I went to fill up where the pump didn’t stop. I notice that instead of the gas flowing out of the top, it all poured out of a clear tube on the bottom right front of the unit. Is this tube actually a gas spill off? Or did something break? Lol.

Spyder Garage

It is a gas spill off. It is in the manual someplace as I remember reading about only clicking the nozzle once when it stops or fuel will spill from the overflow tube.
    -- jim
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
    I couldn’t find it in the manual, but did you guys know about the gas spill-off? I went to fill up where the pump didn’t stop. I notice that instead of the gas flowing out of the top, it all poured out of a clear tube on the bottom right front of the unit. Is this tube actually a gas spill off? Or did something break? Lol.
    I hope you don't have the V-twin engine ….. if you do - a lot of gas has just contaminated the charcoal in the Evap. cannister ….Not a good thing ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I hope you don't have the V-twin engine
    A V-Twin in a ryker!? He must be a serious modder! ;-)

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    A V-Twin in a ryker!? He must be a serious modder! ;-)
    I think he meant the 2 cylinder 600 engine. It sounds like a V twin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I think he meant the 2 cylinder 600 engine. It sounds like a V twin.
    No, I didn't mean the 600 ……………. Sorry but I don't check what the Forum is before hand ...…If the Asker can't take the time to include Their Spyder info …. I won't take the time to research it ……… Mike

Spyder Garage

I hope you don't have the V-twin engine ….. if you do - a lot of gas has just contaminated the charcoal in the Evap. cannister ….Not a good thing ….. Mike
    And how would that have happened? Its been shown time and again that the 'overfill causing gas in the evap canister' is a myth perpetuated by dealers that do not want to deal with the real problem. You cannot over fill the tank and overflow into the evap canister. Liquid gas does not flow up hill.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    And how would that have happened? Its been shown time and again that the 'overfill causing gas in the evap canister' is a myth perpetuated by dealers that do not want to deal with the real problem. You cannot over fill the tank and overflow into the evap canister. Liquid gas does not flow up hill.
    Correct it doesn't , however from Fiche's I seen it appears to these old eyes that the tubing exiting the gas tank goes into the EVAP cannister …… But I'm open to your theory …… If the GAS can't get into the EVAP cannister like you state …..Then exactly how does the cannister get contaminated was Gas ?????? ………..inquiring minds would like to know …… Thanks …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Correct it doesn't , however from Fiche's I seen it appears to these old eyes that the tubing exiting the gas tank goes into the EVAP cannister …… But I'm open to your theory …… If the GAS can't get into the EVAP cannister like you state …..Then exactly how does the cannister get contaminated was Gas ?????? ………..inquiring minds would like to know …… Thanks …. Mike
    Two parts answer. First is the fuel tank design is such that the fill port is below the vent port where the evap tubing connects. Leaves several inches of vapor space above max fill so the liquid can never reach the evap connection.

Second, the liquid fuel in the evap canister is real and does happen but its because the system is overwhelmed by boiling fuel causing significantly more vapors that it was designed for. The vapors condense in the tubing and canister to a liquid. In normal operation (without boiling fuel or significant off gassing) the few drops of liquid that condense are flashed off during the purge cycles and the vapors pulled into the intake. In the older vtwin bikes, the evap system is just overwhelmed with far more vapors than it can deal with. The liquids collect in the canister until its saturated. This was part of the findings for the NHTSA study that resulted in the 2013 RT recall but to some extent the design problem exists on all of the vtwin bikes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame