Spyder Garage

Default 500 Mile Check Up

Went to dealer yesterday to speak to them about the first 500 mile check. From my understanding... the oil should be changed in the Ryker after the first 500 miles. Looking for info from Ryker owners as to what other routine maintenance is done at that time. I was told by a salesperson that if I change the oil at home and dont bring it in to the shop that my warranty might be void if an issue arises. I purchased an extended warranty as well. My Ryker has been doing great- but anxious to hear from other owners out there.

Spyder Garage

I plan on going with what is in the manual. First maintenance at 1 year or 6k miles, whichever comes first.

I've not seen any reference to a 500 mile service anywhere.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I usually do my first and all other oil changes. You just need to keep records.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

+1 to this.

Also doesn't hurt to snap a quick picture or video while the oil is draining or whatever "just in case" its needed. Pic of receipt for oil / filter / any other items replaced, pic doing the job, good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I usually do my first and all other oil changes. You just need to keep records.

Spyder Garage

There is a reference to a 3,000 mile inspection. Can't hurt the engine to change oil early. Oil change kit: http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...600-lamonster/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Default Word of caution....

Salesmen/women are in most cases not a good source of maintenance information. Especially at a multi-brand store. Reading your manual cover to cover is the best way to start your expereince.... Most have the schedule and what should be done...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It is the same with all motor vehicles. BRP is not special in this requirement. Warranty coverage may be voided for a specific problem if you cannot prove that the maintenance schedule was followed. Rarely is this a problem but it is possible. So keep good records of who, what and when the maintenance was done.

Follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. I took a quick look and do not see anything referring to 500mi.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Maybe its just me, but I'm not a big fan of using private label / re-branded oils...

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There is a reference to a 3,000 mile inspection. Can't hurt the engine to change oil early. Oil change kit: http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...600-lamonster/

Spyder Garage

Ryker2112 you can be sure that any oil that Lamonster Garage sells meets or exceeds BRP specifications. I believe his oil is Spectro. I use Amsoil myself, but any oil that meets the specs in your owner’s manual is OK for your Ryker. You have a lot of choices.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Voided warranty - HOOEY , in the U.S. they passed the " Moss Magnussen Act to prevent dealers and or manufacturers from throwing that kind of - BS..... I do agree that keeping documentation of what YOU have done is an excellent idea …...Mike

Spyder Garage

The reference to 500 mile first oil change is a carryover from previous machines.

From memory, (may be accurate or not), the 998's were supposed to have a first oil change around 350 miles. The 1330's had the same recommendation at 3,500 miles or so.

Now with F3's and Rykers, the data gets more jumbled.

Best advice...you can follow the manuals instructions for your particular machine. It is NEVER a problem to change the oil earlier than recommended.

I have found that salespersons generally are not good for giving service advice. They don't sell enough Spyders to actually care and do the due diligence to give correct advice.

Sad...but in most cases true.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker2112 View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I'm not a big fan of using private label / re-branded oils...
    It’s Spectro oil if that makes you feel better. Lamont does not sell junk.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

I have had 2 new Spyders both RT and let the dealer do first insp at 3000km oil change and general check over that was part of the deal when I purchased them.After that I did the maintaince but kept all records and dates work was done.Only had a couple of minor warrenty work done but no hassele.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I never talk to the salesman about maintenance or warranty issues. I do talk to the service people about such things though. If they are legit, they will give you the same info that you will find in the manual. If there recommendations do not line up with the manual, then it is time to find a new shop.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

This is from the Ryker operating manual. Amazingly there is no detail on what the first inspection should include!

FIRST INSPECTION
    We recommend that after the first 5 000 km (3,000 mi) of operation, your vehicle be inspected by an authorized Can-Am On-Road dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing. The first maintenance is very important and must not be neglected. NOTE: The first inspection is at the expense of the vehicle owner. We recommend that this inspection be signed by the authorized Can-Am On-Road dealer, repair shop, or person of your own choosing having performed the first inspection.