Spyder Garage

Default Greetings - new old guy here

Greetings. I believe I was on this site some years ago when I was considering a Spyder, but at the time, things didn't work out. I've since been through several bikes, but sadly, a few years ago, the wife became disabled and I gave up riding. Recently we've borrowed my brother's 'Wing and she likes that, but we'd feel better on a trike. She likes the 'Wing trikes, but I've always loved the Spyder. After getting her to "test-sit" on a 2018 RT (and showing her the price difference) she's ready to get one. So, I come here to learn.

New or used? I'd rather go used in case of this not working as I'd like, but I can go new. There's a few 2018 models around I could get a good deal on. I've also seen a 2014, and two 2011's.
    If used, are there year/models to avoid? I know the original RTs had the 990 engine. Is the 1300 better? How much? We're not small people so I'd rather not be under powered.
    She likes the full dress Limited, but is it possible to add some of the tings - like the "fog" lights - to a regular RT?
    She loves the back rest of the RT, but the bolsters on the seat might be a little rough on the sciatica. Is there a way to remove them or any recommendations for a different seat?
    How is the audio on the RT? We'd like intercom and music.

Hmm, that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I'll come up with more as I go along.

Thank you for your time
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

You can search here and find many comparisons between the 998 and 1330 ACE engines. Basically the 1330 advantages are more low end torque, less frequent maintenance intervals, six vs five speed transmission, no special setting needed for trailer towing. Brembo brakes are a distinct model improvement too. Do keep in mind the total vehicle weight allowed for the RT is 494 lbs., that's with folks and all accessories and gear.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome back...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1330 is the better motor combined with the 6 speed transmission for all the reasons specified above. You can get Sweet deals on 18s now so the depreciation hit is not so hard. I would suggest just getting the Limited as it will save a lot of hassles. They come is a Chrome, or Dark Version and have everything you need to hit the road. Check out Ultimate seats, Russell Day Long Seats and or listen to other posts, the best seat is the one that fits her butt!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good Morning Wahrsuul, Lots of good people here that can help you with your questions or give you their best opinion. Again Good luck shopping.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 1332 is much better. I have had both. I wrecked my '14 RTL and bought a '17 RT when the '18s came out. I saved enough to buy a lot of gas and insurance.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Others have covered the 990 vs 1330 question. I, too, recommend the newer models. But if you are buying to 'try it out' the 990 would be fine. Many of us here rode those for years before they upgraded the models and lots of folks still love theirs.

Limited? I'm not sure what the extras are on those except the chrome, which I'm not a real fan of. Yes, you can accessorize an RTS with the features you really want. Depending on your wife's needs, you should look into passenger arm rests, which you'd have to add to the Limited anyway.

Welcome back and happy hunting!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Welcome back!
    I bought my 2016 ST-S last year (with the 998 engine) and am very happy with it. My decision was largely influenced by the styling vs the RT.
    You can look in the For Sale section for deals like this one:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...S-SE6-for-sale

Also check out www.CycleTrader.com

Good luck!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have owned both. First RTS was a 2012 with the 998 engine and my second was a 2015 RTS with the 1330 engine. I liked both RT's but just felt cramped as I stand 6'2" with long legs. My most recent Spyder is the 2017 F3 Limited and I love this bike. No more feeling cramped and now I feel like I'm sitting in the bike as opposed to sitting on the bike with the RT's. I would definitely buy a Spyder with the 1330 engine which include Rt's from 2014 to present and any F3 as all F3's have had the 1330 engine. If you plan on traveling a lot on the bike, you may want to get either a 2014-2019 RT or a F3 Limited 2017-2019 as the Limited is the only F3 that come standard with rear trunk. Of course you can add the rear trunk to the F3 T or S, but you will pay dearly for it. If your height is not a factor, then I would think either model would work for you, especially if your under 6 feet as the floorboards on the F3 are moveable to suit the rider, but the floorboards on the RT are not. Best advice is to test ride both models and then make a decision. Good luck in your hunt.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies/info so far. From some more reading, I was figuring on going '14 or later. Not sure about the '18s though as some people really don't like the electronics?

For myself, I love the looks and riding position of the F3. The wife however - she likes the "seat" part of the seat, but the backrest hits her at a bad spot in the lower back, and isn't as high as the one on the RT. Since she's got back and knee issues, I need to make her as comfy as possible if there's any chance she'll ride. I already gave up my 2-wheelers as she won't ride on anything but the GW, and I'm not fond of the bike enough to own one. She also doesn't care for the instability when trying to get on a bike. She likes the solid feeling of getting on the trike. She'd like a GW trike, but they're more expensive, and I probably wouldn't ride it much unless she was along. I think I'd ride the Spyder for fun by myself.

I've seen a few 14 RTs in the area with VERY low miles. There's one RT Limited at the local shop, but after some looking into, they want way too much for it. The one in Tx looks great, but it'd be a 2 day drive minimum one-way to get it, and I don't really need a trailer. We won't be doing any LONG trips, mostly day rides around whatever area we go to.

That's another questions - can I get the Spyder into a full size pickup? Or do I need a trailer? My brother has a6x10 flatbed so it's not really an issue either way, and I drive a 2009 Ram 1500.

Something like this one: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...SE6-5006423120
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

the Spyder is 5 feet 6 inches wide so no it will not fit in a pickup bed. If buying used,I would look for a limited for sure.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

back to the fold.

I own both a 998 (2011) and a 1330 (2014). I prefer the 1330 for all the reasons stated above.

Fog lights can easily be added if you buy less than the RT-S designation. I would go with at least an S or an L. You get all the goodies at a bit less. The S is the best one in my opinion. L has chrome and Garmin. I do not need either.

Let us know what you get.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Thanks for all the replies/info so far. From some more reading, I was figuring on going '14 or later.

The one in your link should work - price is a little high IMO. I bought the same year RTS from this forum last spring for $11k.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I recommend the 1330 for the stated reasons. BRP is offering a 5500 rebate on some 2018 models so you may want to check that out. One place to look is at iMotorsports on the home page. I prefer new over used.

Spyder Garage

Is there any way to get a bigger/taller back rest on the F3?

yeah, sent the wife that link - she likes it well enough, but wants the "dark" scheme if possible.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Thanks for all the replies/info so far. From some more reading, I was figuring on going '14 or later. Not sure about the '18s though as some people really don't like the electronics?

For myself, I love the looks and riding position of the F3. The wife however - she likes the "seat" part of the seat, but the backrest hits her at a bad spot in the lower back, and isn't as high as the one on the RT. Since she's got back and knee issues, I need to make her as comfy as possible if there's any chance she'll ride. I already gave up my 2-wheelers as she won't ride on anything but the GW, and I'm not fond of the bike enough to own one. She also doesn't care for the instability when trying to get on a bike. She likes the solid feeling of getting on the trike. She'd like a GW trike, but they're more expensive, and I probably wouldn't ride it much unless she was along. I think I'd ride the Spyder for fun by myself.

I've seen a few 14 RTs in the area with VERY low miles. There's one RT Limited at the local shop, but after some looking into, they want way too much for it. The one in Tx looks great, but it'd be a 2 day drive minimum one-way to get it, and I don't really need a trailer. We won't be doing any LONG trips, mostly day rides around whatever area we go to.

That's another questions - can I get the Spyder into a full size pickup? Or do I need a trailer? My brother has a6x10 flatbed so it's not really an issue either way, and I drive a 2009 Ram 1500.

If price is what your looking at then the 2014 maybe the lowest price but for a little more you get a new upgraded Bike with warrantee much better power steering on the 2018 and 2019. As for the issues you see about the electronics they are about hooking up other devices to the bike wirelessly and that issue I think has now been solved in the last week or two with an upgraded 20.8 software. So its just a software issue nothing to do with how the bike runs or operates. But again if it about price and what you can afford then yes go with the used a save a little. If you are looking for a better type back rest try look at the Spyder Garage and see all the different options there. Click the tab near the top of the page for the Garage see all the great bikes some of SL members have. Good Luck Shopping.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Dark Edition RTL we just bought was on $5000,00 more than the one on the link you posted with full warranty so that one is a bit over priced. Keep looking. There is not a higher back rest for the F3 limited 17-19. You might want to consider a new F3 T and add the BRP adjustable back rest. I have that on a 2016 F3L and I think the combination of the lower rear seat, and a higher adjustable rear back rest might do the trick. Just a thought since you will only be doing day rydes you don't need the rear trunk.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Here is the current offers on our page. All the used Spyders are here, and the new ones are here. Let us know if you have any questions.
    BRP parts discount to all Spyderlovers members!

Free delivery for new Spyders to the lower 48!
    http://www.imotorsportsinc.com
    sales@imotorsportsinc.com

Spyder Garage

What would I be giving up if I were to go with a "regular" RT vs. a Limited?

Also, I've noticed that on a couple of the '14 LTDs I looked at there's a switch for suspension - hard vs soft. But on later models it's missing?
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Can't comment on the "give ups" by selecting the RT vs the RT Ltd; haven't looked in extensive detail on the differences beside the chrome.

For MYs '18 and '19 BRP calibrated the suspension for "general riding conditions," whatever that means, and made the system capable of automatically adjusting; i.e., they took away the ability of the operator to adjust the suspension on the fly with the switch. The operator's guide says it's normal to hear the compressor kicking on or to hear air bleeding off as the automatic adjustment system does its business. I have no idea how well the new system works although it appears obvious to me it would automatically adjust for a passenger vice solo rider. How it might work if a rider starts pushing the vehicle in twisties or doing other hooligan maneuvers I have no idea.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I found a link to a Can-Am comparison of the 2 models for 2018 - the air suspension seems to be the major difference between the two. Not sure it's worth the extra $$. Still searching the area, used prices seem way higher than people here think they should be.
    2014 RT-S , Orange