Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Confused About Luggage

I bought a 2018 RT Limited. Started looking for luggage options today. I know about the "pricy" Can Am specific accessories from the Can Am site. I've found several other posts on the forum about everything from the Hopnel sets, the Bestum's (which I used on my Honda NT700VA and really liked), and "grocery bags" for the frunk.

My first question is: Should I have received any OEM bags with my RT Limited purchase? I doubt it, but the reason(s) I ask are these...

1. Several owner posts here say things like, "I got all the bags WITH my RT Limited". I'm assuming that what the posters meant was, "I PURCHASED all the accessory bags when I bought my RT Limited". They aren't supposed to be included WITH a Limited purchase, are they? And someone mentioned something about a "frunk bag" that supposedly came WITH the 2015's? Should I have received ANY kind of "luggage" with my 2018 RT Limited?

2. Both eBay and Amazon listings for the Can Am OEM luggage keep saying, "Standard on the RT Limited". That seems to imply they are included with the RT Limited. But I doubt that. But just in case.....

3. A lot of listings showing what appear to be the current luggage from the Can Am site say, "for 2014 and prior". But they sure look like the same pictures from the current Can Am Accessories pages. Do I need different luggage for a 2018 vs an earlier RT Limited model?

Thanks for clarification.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Actually part of the Limited package with RT was a full set of bags for the RT. I think this changed to just the side bags in 2014 and later the bags became optional, not sure when. The bags haven't changed just whether they are included.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

And to make things more confusing, I thought the 2014 came standard with the frunk bag (rolling case) with the side bags optional. That's what I got but I bought mine used. I think some dealers pull this stuff out at trade in time and resell them. I know when I bought mine, the dealer wanted to charge me extra for the GPS which was advertised as a standard feature. I called them on it and they embarassadly pulled it out of a drawer and included it...... Jim

BTW; The Frunk rolling bag is a great airline carry-on. Fits nicely and easy to use.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

OK, thanks. Yeah, some of the posts referencing them were from the 2010 - 2014 time frame, so they may have been included back then. It's just a little confusing for an "I'm a newbie owner here" seeing those posts if things have changed. So I thought I'd better ask first.

I'm gonna shy away from the frunk wheelie bag. I'm riding 1-up and can pack all my "need in the hotel room overnight" stuff in the 2 side bags I'd buy for the side cases, and carry just those into the room with me. At least that's the plan for now.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    And to make things more confusing, I thought the 2014 came standard with the frunk bag (rolling case) with the side bags optional. That's what I got but I bought mine used. I think some dealers pull this stuff out at trade in time and resell them. I know when I bought mine, the dealer wanted to charge me extra for the GPS which was advertised as a standard feature. I called them on it and they embarassadly pulled it out of a drawer and included it...... Jim

BTW; The Frunk rolling bag is a great airline carry-on. Fits nicely and easy to use.
    And you could very well be correct on that. I am going by an increasingly faulty memory.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

OK, sorry all, but I gotta ask one more question.

The Hopnel 2-bag top case set. It says the small bag goes on the bottom and the large(r) bag sits on top of it. My 2018 Limited has a fold down "tray" that is velcro'd to hold it up when it's in the up position (not being used). Am I assuming correctly if I had the Hopnel bags I would just leave the tray up? I can't see any sense in putting the bottom Hopnel bag in the top box, lowering the tray, then putting the top bag on top of the tray (or if it would even fit that way).
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

We purchased the Bestem directly from their website for less than we could through Amazon or Ebay. Very nice quality. One saddlebag liner actually took a 70 MPH spill down the highway when my wife didn't get the latch fully hooked. Held up great.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

My 16 RTL included the frunk bag but not any other bags. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My '15 RTL included the frunk bag as well.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Check the local sporting goods stores or maybe even good old Wally Mart. We found some very nice bags at our local sporting goods place for the side bags and the frunk. Good quality and fit very nicely. The trunk is mostly used for my tire repair kit and things we access quickly like wife's purse, our gloves, light jackets, etc. These are good quality and much cheaper than the BRP stuff. Sometimes ya gotta shop outside the box.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post

The Hopnel 2-bag top case set. It says the small bag goes on the bottom and the large(r) bag sits on top of it. My 2018 Limited has a fold down "tray" that is velcro'd to hold it up when it's in the up position (not being used). Am I assume. I reallyng correctly if I had the Hopnel bags I would just leave the tray up? I can't see any sense in putting the bottom Hopnel bag in the top box, lowering the tray, then putting the top bag on top of the tray (or if it would even fit that way).
    I took the top tray out and just use the bags. I really like the Hopnel bags.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Agree with Pegasus. Although neither of our RTs (2012 Limited and 2015 RT-S) have the top trunk tray both have the "full set" of Hopnel bags - top trunk, side cases and frunk. Took them on a 2200 mile adventure last spring and couldn't have been happier. They are good quality, durable and reasonably priced.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Hopnel set here also. Decent quality ( zippers!!! ) Been all over the Western US with them. No problems.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have the Hopnel bags too and really like them except for the sometimes balky zipper on the frunk bag. I think they could do a better job to keep the material from getting stuck in the zipper pull. I use the small trunk bag for my on-the-road kit that includes compressor, tools, first aid kit, Rugged Geek emergency starter, tire plug kit, etc. Have never used the large trunk bag because I travel light.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I've been MC touring since the 70s - over 200,000 miles worth - and learned a lot of things along the way. Main thing; Take half the clothes and twice the money. Other main thing; You only need a small bag to take into the motel. One that contains your toiletries, meds and maybe a change of undies. The rest stays in the bike
    The above is for those here with cases on the bike - those with accessory bags usually remove them and take them into the room.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post

My new 2014RTL came with the rolling frunk bag included as part of the package. My wife's used 2014RTL didn't have it because a previous owner had sold it on this forum.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I've been MC touring since the 70s - over 200,000 miles worth - and learned a lot of things along the way. Main thing; Take half the clothes and twice the money. Other main thing; You only need a small bag to take into the motel. One that contains your toiletries, meds and maybe a change of undies. The rest stays in the bike
    The above is for those here with cases on the bike - those with accessory bags usually remove them and take them into the room.
    Not when you travel with your wife!!!!
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

A confusing subject for sure. I bought a Premier Edition 2010 RTS. No free luggage included there. I ended up purchasing frunk, saddlebags, and trunk version. It was over $1K if memory serves. I still use the frunk bag weekly for my teaching gigs.

The 2014 RT-S I bought came with no luggage either.

There has been conflicting information concerning free, partial, or none depending on the model purchased. Best suggestion, IMO, is to check the specs for the year and model you purchased. Dealers usually do not know diddly about this stuff and usually tell you "whatever" to CYA in their situation.

Would I buy another set? NO...to cheesy looking and expensive. Would I take some for free? Yes.

Soft liners that fit the inside of your bags are a better option IMO.

I got over the "genuine CanAm" thing real quick.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-12-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Not when you travel with your wife!!!!
    My wife's "take into the motel bag" is always lighter than mine!
    My carry in bag of choice has NRA on it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post

The Hopnel 2-bag top case set. It says the small bag goes on the bottom and the large(r) bag sits on top of it. My 2018 Limited has a fold down "tray" that is velcro'd to hold it up when it's in the up position (not being used). Am I assuming correctly if I had the Hopnel bags I would just leave the tray up? I can't see any sense in putting the bottom Hopnel bag in the top box, lowering the tray, then putting the top bag on top of the tray (or if it would even fit that way).
    You leave the tray up.
    Full set of luggage came with the 2012 and 2013 Ltd's. In 2014 only the frunk bag was included for the Ltd's. No other models came with luggage, I do not know before 2012 or after 2014 models what bag(s) were included.

Spyder Garage

I bought the Hopnel bags from Bigbikeparts.com. Very good price and quality.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts

Spyder Garage

Maybe we're cheap, but we just use duffel bags and soft bags. No need to get all fancy to carry my undies around...LOL..heck, a grocery bag does the same thing as those way over-priced luggage bags....When we go on trips, we hook up the trailer and fill 'er up.....just my 2 pennies though...Spend it if ya got it!!!!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My 17 RTL only came with the frunk rolling suitcase which is nice but heavy and Im pretty sure we could fit more stuff in by just using a soft cloth bag or knap sack.If you have a knap sack you can put rain gear in it or pack a lunch for when you hike in a national park or whatever.Just strap it over your shoulders and you hardly know its there.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

We bought a full Hopnel set from Value Accessories last year for our RT and love it. Small (lower) top case bag holds most of our road kit and always stays on the bike. The other bags have handles and are easily carried into motel, the frunk bag even has backpack straps.
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Maybe we're cheap, but we just use duffel bags and soft bags. No need to get all fancy to carry my undies around...LOL..heck, a grocery bag does the same thing as those way over-priced luggage bags....When we go on trips, we hook up the trailer and fill 'er up.....just my 2 pennies though...Spend it if ya got it!!!!
    When I'm on a long trip and use the trailer, I keep a small duffle for single-night stays on the road. I use small baggies with a pair of undies, socks and meds for the night & morning. I put one of those, my computer, toiletries and empty bag for laundry into the duffle. In the morning I restock it for the next night.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)