Spyder Garage

Default Advice for Ryker Possibilities

Hey there all. I'm new here. I don't yet have 3 wheels, but am shopping for a new bike. (Current ride is a Triumph Sprint RS). I need some advice on accessibility modifications.

My 16 year old son has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. He's been riding behind my on my Triumph for over 10 years using a special harness and belt that attaches him securely to me. Unfortunately, as time goes by he's losing the core strength to continue to do this safely. So I'm exploring options.

Here are the challenges that I need to overcome to keep him riding.

1) Seat height - He's now over 100lbs so lifting him up on the back seat is getting challenging. His legs are too weak to help, so it takes on person to lift him, and a second person to lift his legs over one side of the seat or the other.
    2) Balance - his core muscles are able to hold him upright, but during anything but gentle acceleration I worry about him leaning back further than his body can correct for. Braking is ok, but evasive turns aren't going to be possible for long.

Things I've thought about doing:
    - trade my bike in for a touring bike (ie: GoldWing) - You have to work really hard to fall out of that passenger seat. It's also really expensive, and makes lifting him in harder yet.
    - Can Am Spyder - Again expensive. I took my son to the local dealer, and it was very hard to lift him into the back seat. It's pretty high up, and you can't really get really close.
    - Can Am Ryker - Less expensive, and easier access to passenger seat. I tried him in that with the fold down backrest. I'm thinking that a transfer belt around him and the backrest could hold him from sliding side to side.

If I went with the Ryker - then for the longer term I'm wondering about making a passenger seat for him out of something like a Kart racing seat. Then I could maybe put a 5 point harness on it so he doesn't go flying when the pace picks up.

Here's a photo of me loading him currently https://theresawiebephotography.pixi...jE1NzA0MDE2OQ/

Anybody have any ideas I've missed?

Spyder Garage

If you are considering Cam Am as in Spyder or Ryker. I would be recommending the Spyder over the Ryker for your situation.

They Ryker is made and suggested for one up...but there are people that have added the extra seating for two up. I would not ride a special needs person on a Ryker modified to do something that is not originally intended.

The Spyder RT is similar to a GW in ride and back seat accommodations. That is where I would be going. Comfort and safety is what I would want for the special passenger.

I looked at your photo. You have very special cargo there.

Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with akspyderman regarding the Spyder over the Ryker. You might consider an F3 Ltd which has lower seating, I believe. Regardless of the BRP model under consideration. I think any device that straps a passenger to a three wheel motorcycle, particularly a passenger with DMD, is very unwise. Yes, I have seen riders & passengers on Spyders using seat belts, but when you consider the ultimate worst case type of accident, a rollover, an ATTGATT wearing passenger might suffer serious injuries being ejected from the bike but the risk of being crushed by the overturning vehicle while being strapped in may be a higher probability risk -- a risk I would be unwilling to take.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I would look at the F3 ir F3S since they don’t have saddlebags so you could get closer. You canf find some pretty good deals on used ones

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I would look at the F3 ir F3S since they don’t have saddlebags so you could get closer. You canf find some pretty good deals on used ones
    & believe there are folding arm rest available also agree strapped in may not be good safety option. Hate to mention a core brace that fits like a turtle shell front & back, but thing does function & per some cases does not need to be worn 24/7. Might help, just a thought. Otherwise looking at sidecar or a slingshot. Not quite the same but simple.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would research sidecar rigs. There are some nice sidecars with soft top, convertible top, and hard top. Some even have air conditioning. I have seen them with handicap ramps leading to the car, ones with roll bars, seat belts, and harnesses. They are different and you will have a learning curve to deal with their quirks but may be worth a look. Good Luck, cueman

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is the way I would go. I think that with the right modifications, such as backrest and arm rest, you could make this do what you are looking for. I hope you are able to find what you need and continue to keep that bond with your son. God Bless.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish you the best.

Spyder Garage

Bless you for caring and sharing the experience of the ryde.
    I agree the F3 is the better of the options.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Kudos for sharing the wind with your son! I hope you find something suitable for him.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Ok. Thank you for all your feedback. I know it's hard to give advice on other people's situations - especially involving disabilities.

I've managed time today to stop in at our local dealership and take a Spyder out for a rip. I took a (year unknown) ST-S out for a ride through some local favourite roads. It was eye opening.

1) Holy smokes. 25 years of sportbike muscle memory does NOT play well with a Spyder. My arms are sore, and my ride was a little, shall we say, skittish.
    2) There's a lot of g-forces on corners. I find I'm used to taking the cornering forces through my seat while I lean. The Spyder was trying to fling me off the outside
    3) Because of #2 above, I'm definitely seeing the need for a backrest AND arm rests. The RT seems to fit that bill better than the ST-S. I didn't see any used F3s with backrests around.

We've ruled out the Ryker for our needs.

I'm looking at used Spyders now - trying to figure out the differences between F3 and RT etc. ....

Spyder Garage

Glad you got to try one out. They are different and a lot of people going from two wheels to the Spyder make the same mistakes and get a little sore from fighting the bike. Your grip was tight and a little over control we all do it at first. Don't rush look at all the models they all sit and ride just a little different. Might try and take the riding class BRP offers check with you dealer or on line. I like the RT for my style of riding but in your case you can get the same ride as the RT with the F3 it has a lower seat and you would be able to get close to the rear seat because there is no side bags on the side, the seat is wide and comfortable arm rest can be added also. Keep looking don't let the sore arms discourage you.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

No, the sore arms aren't a discouragement. ALL of my handlebar steered vehicles have been motorcycles. BMX, Dirt bikes and street bikes. I knew it would be different. It was just DIFFERENT.

My wife didn't have the same problem. (She's got many fewer motorcycle pilot hours than I do) The Can Am will be mostly hers.

There's a used 2012 RT-Limited for sale near me. I'm going to try to check it out. It has swing out armrests already on it. They look like I could make a lap belt to connect with them. If needed, maybe a chest positioning belt around the top of the top box area. I'll keep updating the thread for those who are interested.

Spyder Garage

The RT is a Great bike lots of room good back rest and with the arm rest added and possibly add a backrest for the driver that folds down it would be great choise. Your boy would be kind of enclosed front sides and back. The only draw back is with the side bags and height getting close to the seat when lifting your son. The RT has the power steering so that is a good feature. I have an RT Limited older 2012 model and love it.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I totally forgot to come back here and post my results.

1) Bought the 2012 RT Limited. (It already had swing out arm rests)
    2) Used the mounting bolts for the arm rests to add a standard automotive style lap belt. This holds the passenger's hips in place nicely.
    3) I swing the arm rests in, so the tips touch each other. I clip those together with a bit of rope and some clips. This holds the passenger's chest in place nicely.
    4) I made 14" collapsible passenger floorboard risers out of a pair of guitar player's foot stools.

To load,
    - I swing armrests open and lower the floorboard extensions to their lowest
    - I lift the passenger so his weight is on the floor board
    - I adjust my grip, and lift again until I get him on the seat
    - pivot the legs across the bike
    - raise the foot rests so his feet touch
    - do up the seatbelt
    - swing arm rests in and clip together

- RIDE

Thanks for all the tips last season.

RFD2019-1578.jpg

I'll start a new thread on my new quest. Finding a swing lift that I can use to load him directly from his wheelchair to the passenger seat...

Spyder Garage

Congrats !!!!.....wishing you all the best !!!!

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Just a one line followup - Did a 12 hour / 650km day yesterday with my son on the Spyder. The modifications listed above did us well and he finished the day with no issues. Thanks again to all the good advice you gave me last year.

Spyder Garage

Awesome glad the 2012 Spyder has worked out, Miles / km of smiles for sure!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown