Spyder Garage

Default Ryker 900 ACE New Owner Thoughts & Ramblings

Given that I decided on the Ryker 900 ACE, I thought I'd take a minute and toss out my thoughts after the first day of ownership.

I'll update if appropriate as time goes on.

After bouncing back and forth between this one and the Rally (Thread here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...lly-vs-900-ACE), I obviously landed on the 900.

Purchased with the following accessories...

- Ryker 900 ACE
    - Max Mount
    - Passenger Seat
    - Cover
    - Shad side "bag" and mount
    - 2-Up Spring

Picked her up right about noon today, it was still a bit chilly out (40's) so took a short ride and stopped at some nearby shops for my wife to shop (least I could do, right?), and let it warm up a bit.

Initial impressions on that quick jaunt.... Wow, this is different. Really odd feeling having just the foot brake, no clutch, no shifting, etc...

That said, my first thoughts on the machine itself were how smooth it feels, and how quiet it is (2 wheel history includes primarily sport bikes, most with pipes, Suzuki, Ducati, Kawasaki).

After the brief pitstop and a stop for gas the temp was well into the upper 50's, perfect day for the hour + ride home.

The road home is moderately twisty with speed limits ranging from 40 to 65, so a pretty good balance for a brand new machine.

Once my brain adjusted to what this thing is, I was QUITE happy with it. Plenty of power, even in ECO mode which I kept it in for the first 30 miles or so to help curb my enthusiasm for at least a little "break in".

You definitely need to learn to trust the machine as it does wander a little, but more than acceptable as soon as you stop trying to fight it. First time on 3 wheels, but certainly doesn't seem like it has any alignment issues described elsewhere.

Even in ECO mode, the tire will break free a bit under acceleration from a stop or at low speeds. In Sport, pay attention.

The best way I can describe this bike is take a 4 wheel ATV, breed it with a sport bike, and throw in a pinch of go-kart. It absolutely begs to be tossed around.

The stock seat is very comfortable (softer than any bike I've owned for sure), and can't currently see any need to replace it though who knows what I'll think after more time on it.

Under 60, I can't see a need for a windshield, but over 60 it may be a nice addition. Will give it some more time before making a decision on that one.

I hadn't seen any other Rykers outside of dealerships, but ironically enough passed 2 going the opposite direction (his and hers) as I got close to home. They look pretty slick on the road.

After getting home, wife hopped on and we went for a little run on it. Feels equally at home with a passenger, and though sport mode becomes inaccessible, it absolutely retains plenty of power for relatively spirited 2-up riding.

She was really happy on the back, though it took a few minutes for us both to be comfortable. Being used to sport bikes I'm used to feeling her closer and being able to tell how she's doing back there, and for her, the rear seat is the highest as compared to front that she's been on. That said, within 5 minutes we were all good and ready to run.

Will likely install the short back rest for her. Debated on the tall, but after riding on it she doesn't feel that is necessary at all. She's actually comfortable without either, but I'll feel better knowing its there when rolling on the throttle. I'll admit thats mostly in my head given we've always ridden in relatively aggressive forward leaning riding positions on my other machines.

Can Am really nailed it with this thing. I don't think either of us would have ever gone for a more "cushy" Touring 3 wheel option, but the Ryker really just ticks all of the right boxes for us.

Riding solo, it absolutely begs to be tossed around. Can't wait to keep racking up the miles!

Sorry for rambling, but if any potential buyers have any questions, feel free to fire away. This forum and its members certainly helped me to make my decision and I'd be happy to return the favor.

Spyder Garage

100%

Spyder Garage

Congrats and enjoy your new ride.Im looking forward to a test ride if we ever get spring.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Enjoy the new Ryker !
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

To both the Ryker world and this site... as an owner thanks for the great review. Looks like it is the machine for you both and you will have a wonderful time ryding the country side and traveling around a bit....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

thanks for the post,ive mostly read people niggles and grumbles so its nice to hear a positive review.have fun both of you.

Spyder Garage

Nice write up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I can complain a bit if you'd like.

Complaint #1 - How on earth.... do they expect the rear tire to last any substantial amount of time when you're having so much fun sliding and spinning it in Sport mode?

Complaint #2 - How can I be expected to "act my age" on this machine when in Sport mode?

In all seriousness, its a pretty awesome machine. Sure it clunks a little when the CVT clutch engages / the driveshaft slack is taken up, and its not going to have the gas mileage or comfort of a touring machine, but for its intended purpose it is a pretty brilliant "bike" at what I would consider a stellar price point.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed when going in with the right expectations. This is a toy, in one of its purest forms. Any "toy" I've ever owned has had some "character" and eccentricities

Assuming reliability holds, I honestly can't think of much if anything I'd change.

By way of general updates, I think I'm going to add a set of Lidlox:
    https://lidlox.com/products/6270-b

And am probably still going to go with the shorty passenger backrest. I don't think I'm going to bother with the windscreen for the time being.

PS, even my wife who thought it was a pretty ridiculous purchase (esp considering I didn't part with the sport bike or MX-5), has come around. "You were right, this is going to be a lot of fun this summer."

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    thanks for the post,ive mostly read people niggles and grumbles so its nice to hear a positive review.have fun both of you.

Spyder Garage

Bouncing back and forth a bit on the passenger backrest. Anyone who rides 2-up and has a backrest that can share their thoughts / experience with either?

She's leaning toward the short and thinks it would be plenty, I'm leaning toward the tall just for my own piece of mind when she's on the back.. Such an upright passenger position is still foreign to me and I worry about not having something there under heavy acceleration.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker2112 View Post
    Bouncing back and forth a bit on the passenger backrest. Anyone who rides 2-up and has a backrest that can share their thoughts / experience with either?

She's leaning toward the short and thinks it would be plenty, I'm leaning toward the tall just for my own piece of mind when she's on the back.. Such an upright passenger position is still foreign to me and I worry about not having something there under heavy acceleration.
    I like the tall one because I suspect it may make them feel more secure, but also it could serve as a means to mount a bag onto. I imagine a bag that would hang off the back of the backrest and then when the back rest is tilted down, the bag would be located right behind the single rider and could be used a backrest in that position as well.

Spyder Garage

20190201_172008~2 (1).jpg

The backpack on the backrest is very handy. I just got mine at Wal-Mart in the automotive section. Very inexpensive solution for my needs.
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Couldn't resist...

IMG_0654.jpg

Spyder Garage

Couldn't resist...

IMG_0654.jpg
    Ha!
    I may have to get one of those as well.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Does anyone who has the "short rail" passenger back rest or the tall folding backrest happen to be able to give a measurement from the top back of the passenger seat to the top of the backrest?
    Can't seem to find actual measurements anywhere. Went to check at the dealer today, but they were out of the short, and had one of the tall, but after 20 minutes of looking couldn't locate it...

Spyder Garage

I think BRP really nailed it this time. I was in Daytona yesterday and i was surprised to see a lots of rykers already on the road (mainly black color). I think im falling in love.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

I have the folding backrest and measured a little over 11 inches top back to top of backrest
    Does anyone who has the "short rail" passenger back rest or the tall folding backrest happen to be able to give a measurement from the top back of the passenger seat to the top of the backrest?
    Can't seem to find actual measurements anywhere. Went to check at the dealer today, but they were out of the short, and had one of the tall, but after 20 minutes of looking couldn't locate it...

Spyder Garage

That's very helpful. Really appreciate you checking.

Quote Originally Posted by njfishfan View Post
    I have the folding backrest and measured a little over 11 inches top back to top of backrest

Spyder Garage

By way of general updates...

Right at about 150 miles and running great. Really enjoying this little beast more than I expected. Looking to be a nice weekend here so hoping to rack up some miles.

Picked up the RAM mount / phone holder. Also have from previous use the ball GoPro mount.

Currently in the mail to arrive between tomorrow / Thursday:
    - Lidlox (https://lidlox.com/products/6270-b)
    - Wind screen (still on the fence as I really prefer the looks without it, but may be nice for longer rides / cooler days. Hoping I'll still be able to mount the GoPro on the RAM and find a way to get an unobstructed view)
    - Passenger short rail (after much debate between this and the folding back rest)

Spyder Garage

Nice day for a ride today. Hit just under 70 degrees, long overdue.

I decided to install the wind screen. Played with height, I think I prefer it at the lowest position and I'll probably leave it on. Super simple install, 5 minutes tops. It came with two washers for the upper mounting screws, they were loose in the box and easy to miss...

Ryker2up.jpg
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag