Spyder Garage

Default Harbor Freight Lift

Is there anyone here still using the Harbor Freight Motorcycle lift for Their RT.
    If so what are your thoughts.
    Thanks for any info
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

I own one that i use for my motorcycle but how would you use it with a Spyder without modifications?
    It's not wide enough to get a spyder on it.
    I would love to see pics of modified Harbor Freight lifts that would work with the Spyder.
    2015 RTs , Black

Spyder Garage

I did use it for a couple of oil changes but was very uneasy about it's wobbliness. I ended up buying a Pitbull lift with the Spyder adapter. I know a number of people will say that is a waste of money, but the peace of mind having the RT stable while elevated is worth it for me.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

There are quite a few models that they have. I one from sears that they have also the same set up and it works fine. It is wobbly as stated above but for oil changes etc it is fine for other work I add "A" stands to stabalize. 20150630_123305.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I use a bike lift to raise a spyder. It follows the ideas suggested in this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfZzDOuv2PQ

This is a graphic of my setup..

Bike lift for Spyder with Wheel Stands.jpg

I have to block up the spyder near the front of the frame to be able to lift it. The parts shown are made of commercial lumber save for the cross pipe that is used to locate the wheel stands. Feel free to ask any questions.
    Last edited by Eckhard; 03-10-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add info
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default jack stands!!!!!!

I use a HF jack also----- BUT after raised to working height I put ithe on jack stands. 2 in front and a large block of wood ( a section of a large glue lam beam ) under the rear tire. Would you work under your car/truck with out jackstands. Don't you dare tell me its any different. 2 jack stands and a piece of wood-------one minute

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 03-10-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Just what I was looking for, except the Harbor Freight Lift
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Yup. works fine for everything I've had to do
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    Yup. works fine for everything I've had to do
    Same here. I'll also use jack stands depending on what I'm working on.

Spyder Garage

Great lift. Works great right out of the box. Fits under Spyder without a problem. Wait for coupon to get it under $70. I would never crawl under the Spyder without jack stands securely in place.

Spyder Garage

Add another very happy wrencher using my sub $100 HF lift. I've installed Baja Rons anti-sway bar, taken the frunk off, removed the whole rear trunk and saddlebag assembly, done multiple oil changes with it. But yes, I always use my standard jack stands to stabilize the spyder when up on the lift.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use the Craftsman branded copy of this one. Same as others once I've lifted the RT I put blocks under the wheels or use jack stands. You can't easily change the oil with the RT on the lift. It is a little bit wobbly but that's because you have to lift the Spyder by the 4" wide frame in the middle. There is no outer frame to lift by except at the front and you can't get the jack under the front. If I have to have the rear of the RT raised I lift the front first and put blocks under the front tires. Then I use a Hi-Lift jack to raise the back end by jacking under the hitch.
    image_24958.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Bob, what does the Spyder adapter look like for the pitbull lift? I was looking at their site but didn't see one.

Spyder Garage

I use the HF lift with no problems. It is a little tight fitting under the bike so I run the front wheels up on 2X8s and then slip the jack under the bike. Make sure it is in position to come into contact with only the frame. I find it stable enough to do routine rear tire and belt alignment without using additional jack stands. My rational is that if the jack were to suddenly fail, the bike will only drop an inch or two down onto the wheels. For "extended" work under the bike or when removing the wheels, I use jack stands in front and lower the rear wheel onto a 4X4. I have used the HF jack a couple dozen times without any problems. I would not use it to roll the bike around much or depend upon it solely for support for heavy duty work. But then I would treat any other jack manufacture the same. .....Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

My son has a HF lift he uses sometimes with his BMW R1200 GSA and the jack lowering mechanism is nowhere near as smooth as the Craftsman lift Gene has. I too have the Craftsman and the lifting and lowering is smoother than deer guts on a door knob. Yes, when you have the Spyder lifted the thing can seem wobbly but that's because of the small footprint of the lift and the distance above the floor. IMO the Craftsman was well worth the additional money.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

CJ, My apologies, mine is the J&S jack (similar to Pitbull) https://jsjacks.com/product/can-am-spyder-lift-adapter/

Bob, what does the Spyder adapter look like for the pitbull lift? I was looking at their site but didn't see one.
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Just another happy HF lift user here. I've had it for several years without incident. I had our RTL up on it yesterday. I would always recommend the use of jack stands no matter the brand of lift you're using!
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover