Spyder Garage

Default 2019 Spyder RT loose seat

Hi Everyone,
    Just took delivery of my 2019 Spyder RT limited and I absolutely love it. I had a 2011 RT before and this 2019 is just stunning in every way.

I’m hoping to get some advice re the seat. It’s latching closed but you can see a lot of movement in the seat when it’s closed. I’ve tried adjusting the closing mechanism but it still doesn’t solve the problem. My 2011 never had any movement in the seat when it was latched closed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Is the movement toward the front or rear?

If the movement is in the rear, check to see if the bushings are installed in the hinges.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Hi Grandpot,
    Many thanks for the reply.
    The movement is at the front of the seat. I tried to upload a short video but I can’t manage it as it says invalid file.
    If you press down on the front of the seat you hear a click as it moves up and down but the seat is locked closed.

Spyder Garage

I Silversurfer1

The only thing I can not recommend, go see your dealer for that.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The dealer attaches the seat when they put it together …. If the bolts that hold the rear of the seat are not tight , the entire seat can move forward ….I've seen this occur …. the large PIN at the front of the seat can be adjusted this might also be loose ….. this combination of errors can allow the seat to move …. I would check all and tighten if necessary …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the help. I’ve looked at the seat and the bolts that hold the rear of the seat look ok. It looks more like the pin at the front of the seat. It’s latching and closing but if you put downward pressure on the seat it moves down and up. I have taken a short video on my iPhone but can’t upload it.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Silversurfer1 View Post
    Thank you for the help. I’ve looked at the seat and the bolts that hold the rear of the seat look ok. It looks more like the pin at the front of the seat. It’s latching and closing but if you put downward pressure on the seat it moves down and up. I have taken a short video on my iPhone but can’t upload it.
    There will be some up & down play ….. if you have the seat partially open …. can you move it backward and forward ??? …. that would indicate loose bolt/s ………… There have been quite of few folks here who have recommended removing the PIN …. that is not a good idea, that PIN not only protects from gas theft ( not likely to occur ) but it prevents almost all movement of the seat itself …. I've seen what can happen to your PAINT if the seat moves forward and begins to rub by the glove box ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you could still shorten up the pin a bit. Sounds like it's still sitting a little bit too high before it latches. The seat should rest on the small rubber bumpers underneath and on the sides so that your body weight isn't all on the pin and latch.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hey SS, Welcome aboard. I have a 2018 RTL that does the same thing. It feels loose and rocks slightly side to side and no adjusting of that front bolt helps. If I screw it down, the latch doesn't catch and if I screw it up it rocks worse. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. It just seems that this should close tighter. I'm gonna bring her to the dealer for the new BRP connect version 20.8 update and will see what their "master mechanics" can do.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. Having tried everything it appears to be a problem adjusting the front bolt. No matter what way I try to adjust it as Valkrocket says it just doesn't fix the problem, the seat still rocks and feels loose. Hopefully if you get a solution from the BRP "master mechanics" you will post it here. Many thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.

Spyder Garage

As FlyBoy says, if you're not satisfied, it's a dealer issue. You paid your bucks, get your satisfaction. You don't want to try to adjust the locking pin too much wherein it gives you a problem trying to unlatch it when refueling.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I everybody

I recommend going to the Dealer, I wanted to say that.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your advice

Spyder Garage

If the seat moves from side to side, try putting velcroed thin sponges on the sides to center it. Lift up the seat and see if it moves from side to side. The rear pivot bolts could be loose. If you need to tighten the bolts (10mm socket), leave the seat down and remove the backrest (2 top screws and 3 bolts from inside the trunk). Pull it off and the seat pivot bolts can be accessed to tighten them (with a 10mm socket on a universal joint). Good luck and have fun.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I don't even have my seat latch so it can latch, i disabled it with a zip tie. Not worried about gas theft. I also replaced the rear bolts with just a couple long pins with a clevis spring clips thru a hole in the end. Works great, can have seat completely off in a minute and seat stays put when you or a passenger are on it. A little movement doesnt hurt a thing.
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much Revalden and trikerbiker645 for the advice much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikerbiker645 View Post
    I also replaced the rear bolts with just a couple long pins with a clevis spring clips thru a hole in the end. Works great, can have seat completely off in a minute and seat stays put when you or a passenger are on it. A little movement doesnt hurt a thing.
    That's a great idea, just wish you'd have posted it before I put it back together.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black