Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect: Selection of GPS Apps

Ok lets throw this out there and see what people have to say.

BRP Connect has 4 GPS Apps

REVER
    Genius Maps
    SYGIC Car Navigation
    EatSleepRide

I have zero knowledge on any of these apps. As I am sure others are wondering, OK which one do I use? To help us try and figure which one to choose, how about some Pros and Cons, likes and dislikes on the 4 listed. Personal experiences? Lets keep it within the abilities of BRP Connect.

2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Genius and Sygic are real GPS apps with downloaded map data. Rever and ESR are more a tracking app and require constant cell service to be able to guide you. They're more used for riding routes others have created by riding the roads themselves.

Sygic is $75 and Genius is $95 but they might be on sale so check your App Store.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I looked at the Rever site its 49.99 a year. Checking out others routes might be interesting. I was hoping for more info about the apps.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe both Rever and ESR have a yearly premium where as the 2 GPS apps you pay a one time price. As I said the 2 GPS apps have downloaded map data so they work when you're not in cell service. Yes, Rever can be used as a GPS, don't know about ESR.

Not sure what other info you are looking for.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

As mentioned at the beginning of the post, the pros and cons, likes and dislikes of the different apps maybe some personal experiences. Give people something to think about when choosing. That was the thought behind this post. Not just my choice.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't have to choose just one, you can have them all. Sygic and Genius do not track. Rever and ESR does. I have all of them and use either the two GPS apps when traveling and Rever when I want to record a nice trip. There are not preferencesa as they are very similar. You can try them out and see for yourself which ones you like.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Ok Flamewinger, I get your point. Just trying to get more then one opinion on these apps.
    2018 White F3 Limited

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Of the two true GPS apps, I like Sygic … it is not too difficult to set a route on the phone and, I think it has the capability to create a route on the computer and then add it to the phone app (though I have not tried it). Sygic is more intuitive than Genius (for me at least) … almost like you have to be a map Genius to use the app. I have fought with REVER off and on as an app on the phone and also used on the computer …. their free version is quite limited and I refuse to pay the yearly fee for something that I might use only once in a while. Not familiar with the last one at all.

Update: Oh, one thing about Sygic … the algorithm used to calculate the time of arrival does not, apparently, use your actual speed (or the posted speed limit). For example, a ride I know to take 1 hour 15 minutes at the speed limit and Sygic indicated that I would arrive two hours after start. It never wavered from that time until we were within a few minutes of the destination. An oddity that they may fix over time.

Just my opinion … what works for me may not for you …. All the best ….. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Thank You Spyder_Cowgirl for your thoughts. Hopefully we can get more people to chime in!
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Update: Oh, one thing about Sygic … the algorithm used to calculate the time of arrival does not, apparently, use your actual speed (or the posted speed limit). For example, a ride I know to take 1 hour 15 minutes at the speed limit and Sygic indicated that I would arrive two hours after start. It never wavered from that time until we were within a few minutes of the destination. An oddity that they may fix over time.
    Were you on non-Interstate roads? I've seen the same problem with non-Connect Sygic on my tablet. Times while riding Interstates are correct but on state and county highways the times are about double the real time to destination. I've forgotten to send in a trouble ticket about this. I'll try to remember to do that today.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Anyone else have some personal experience with these apps?
    2018 White F3 Limited