Thread: Canada Laws

Spyder Garage

Default Canada Laws

I am planning on a trip to Canada this summer and trying to find out what Canada's laws are regarding bringing alcohol, tobacco, and firearm into country. If any of you Canada guys or girls or anyone else know I would appreciate info. Also US laws regarding bringing these items into US from Canada.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Laws

Do Not Bring a Firearm …..period …………..Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't do any of them. You can easily obtain tobacco and Alcohol in Canada. EASILY LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you're going hunting and want to bring long guns, I think there's a way to get permission. But DO NOT even think of bringing a handgun.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Firearm information. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-13-2-eng.html

We were able to carry our long gun into Canada. We had to do a bunch of paperwork and the border agents had to visually inspect it.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Canada

When we went to the BRP 10 th Anniversary in Canada I phoned and tried to explain that I needed my gun for protection as I will be touring all over the States before and after the home coming in Valcourt. I was told absolutely NO I could not bring a handgun in to Canada although they did suggest that if I knew where at what point of entry I would be going through into Canada that I could call that border post and they may help out by leaving the gun in a lockup at the border but of course we had to exit Canada at the same border crossing.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I would check with cda customs for allowable amounts of booze and smokes as far as weapons goes that's a no no

Spyder Garage

All on the internet thingy, search!

Spyder Garage

I JayHawker

Bring nothing of the things you wrote, no guns, these simple nothing to defend, you will not cross the border, they are very strict.

you have to show white paws.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

As many have said no guns.Any adult can bring in a bottle of booze or beer or cigs.Stop at the duty free and they'll tell you what you can purchase and you'll save on the taxes
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

No easily opened pocket knives either.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    That even includes BB and pellet guns. Don't try to bring them. Not sure about tobacco products and the maximum of beer/wine, but you are allowed 40 OZs of distilled spirits for each adult. If you are over limit on any item, by all means declare your ovrage. You MAY be allowed to just pay duty on the overage. Or, they may confiscate any excessive ammount. It is all up to the discretion of the Canadian Officer. If you are over and don't declare that overage, you are in for an experience that will make you think you have just entered a hostile country as an international smuggler. That can involve all kind of bad things like taking your vehicle apart (and not putting it back together), conficating all your liquor and tobacco, and even confiscating your vehicle. Buying liquor and tobacco in Canada is roughly twice the price of most US markets which is why some try to bring their own. Above all, do not be confrontative. You will loose. Do your homework. Travel at or below the amounts allowed, be polite, and no joking..... And remember, what may be legal here, like weed, may get you jail time in Canada. I have not kept up with the Canadian laws about marajuana and that is an ever-changing issue. But I would not even take a chance. The consequences are too severe. A little hint that has worked well for me..... My choice of cocktail is rum and diet cola. Before entering Canada I will buy roughly 40 OZ of 151 rum. Then when I have a cocktail I use about 1/3 the amount of rum in my drink. 40 OZ of 151 goes a long way..... Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Can’t imagine where you would go here in Canada while “touring” that you would feel the need for a gun but anyway, buy your booze at a duty free store on the US side prior to entering Canada, much cheaper. Our standard beer is 5% alcohol, each region has its own popular beer...ie in Saskatchewan it is brand name Pilsner, lots of micro brews around too.
    Pot....legal to buy and possess in small amounts, products all regulated by government, prices are higher than street...edibles not legal yet at least not in my province...DONT TRY AND BRING BACK TO USA...duh.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    Can’t imagine where you would go here in Canada while “touring” that you would feel the need for a gun but anyway, buy your booze at a duty free store on the US side prior to entering Canada, much cheaper. Our standard beer is 5% alcohol, each region has its own popular beer...ie in Saskatchewan it is brand name Pilsner, lots of micro brews around too.
    Pot....legal to buy and possess in small amounts, products all regulated by government, prices are higher than street...edibles not legal yet at least not in my province...DONT TRY AND BRING BACK TO USA...duh.
    Totally agree with this entire statement. Absolutely no need for a gun up here. full stop, end of statement. Taking pot back to the states, remember it may be legal in SOME states, but the boarder guards work for the Feds, and it's still illegal by them.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Rode to Red Lake Ont. last summer about the only thing you have to worry about is moose and drunken Canadians, Go again tomorrow if I could.
    2018 F3 , Full size brake pedal Black

Spyder Garage

Also when coming back into the USA, you are generally treated like someone coming in to do great harm, expect it, answer the questions ask, and some of them are asked several different ways.
    They generally don't smile.
    Ashamed to be treated like they do!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    Also when coming back into the USA, you are generally treated like someone coming in to do great harm, expect it, answer the questions ask, and some of them are asked several different ways.
    They generally don't smile.
    Ashamed to be treated like they do!
    I think it depends on where you cross the border. I've had that experience in some crossings, particularly on the Canadian side. When I've crossed into the USA at smaller points, I've been treated really well. Once I couldn't find my passport. The officer and I tore up my luggage and almost took my Spyder apart. He found the 5 bullets I forgot to take out of my purse when I removed my gun at home. After about an hour he let me go on. I think he figured a Canadian wouldn't be packing ammo and a terrorist would have a gun, too!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

A touch off topic....

In 2010 we made a trip to Whitehorse YK territories. The spouse rolled ahead on her Spyder before told to. They pulled her off to the side and gave her the "treatment." Motto: they don't fool around anymore. Yes Sir, no Maam, and do what they ask or say. Murphy's Law will get you every time. If you don't have it....they cannot arrest you for it.

Now....back to the program
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-13-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with all the above. Last time I crossed over the Top Of The World Hwy from Alaska with the Spyder, the lady at the border crossing first question was, how many soles on board. Well I
    couldt help laughing, she reolized her mistake but didnt think it was that funny. Just answer the questions, Ha Ha. Have a good trip.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    No easily opened pocket knives either.
    What is the definition of "easily opened pocket knives"? Switchblades?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WIDOWSSON View Post
    What is the definition of "easily opened pocket knives"? Switchblades?
    "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife"
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow