Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT Limited Handing With Stock Sway Bar??

On my 2012 RTS it was terrable to handle at 75 mph. Put on a Baja Rons sway bar and it was a wonderful ride day and night difference. Do I need a new sway bar on my 2018RT Limited or has Can Am fixed the problem?

Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BajaRon’s bar is an improvement over ALL of the stock bars. Thicker is better.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Ron has a great product and only see rave reviews.My 18 RTL tho,to me,handles just fine at any speed.Tracks straight and no darting.That may change as things wear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    On my 2012 RTS it was terrable to handle at 75 mph. Put on a Baja Rons sway bar and it was a wonderful ride day and night difference. Do I need a new sway bar on my 2018RT Limited or has Can Am fixed the problem?

Jim
    A very good question. The answer is Yes, and No.

BRP improved the frame and suspension geometry on the 2013+ Spyder models. They also improved the hydraulic dampening on the 2014+ shocks (though they eliminated the ability to adjust spring pre-load which was available on all 2008-2012 models). All of this gives a better handling machine.

Unfortunately, BRP uses (effectively) the same sway bar as on previous Spyders (model for model). Leaving a great deal of room for meaningful improvement in handling, managing Oversteer/Understeer and stability.

So Yes, BRP has made some improvements in handling with the later models. But NO, they did not go far enough and the OEM sway bar is still woefully weak.

Whether or not you 'Need' my sway bar upgrade is a matter of personal opinion. If possible, ride a similar Spyder with my bar kit installed. This is by far the best way to arrive at a definite answer.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-08-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

How about you ride and then decide. They have made improvements, not real dramatic ones.
    You might consider a good laser alignment also.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Jimbo, I have a 2018 RT Limited which I rode 2 up and found it was alright. I then put a BajaRon bar on with a Squared Away laser alignment, this definitely improved the handling. My wife even mentioned that she noticed improvement. Well worth the investment.
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

2017 RT here. After installing BajaRon's sway bar I can honestly say it's day and night. The BEST upgrade I've made to my Spyder.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by imfleck View Post
    2017 RT here. After installing BajaRon's sway bar I can honestly say it's day and night. The BEST upgrade I've made to my Spyder.
    +1, my neighbor even noticed the difference from his, put it on to do list.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Made a big difference on My wife's 2018 RTL.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Take a test ride, first. If you feel like the '18 is in need of a sway bar, have it laser aligned first (if this is a new purchase have the dealer align it as part of the deal). Then, if you still feel the need, get the sway bar.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IgoFar2 View Post
    Take a test ride, first. If you feel like the '18 is in need of a sway bar, have it laser aligned first (if this is a new purchase have the dealer align it as part of the deal). Then, if you still feel the need, get the sway bar.
    Most dealers couldn't align a spyder if they wanted too. I would not trust them to do it, and I frequent one of the very best dealers in the country. The Baja Ron bar was the first thing I did to our new 2018 RTL. You are purchasing a $25000.00 machine. The Bar is less than $300.00. After over 60000 Spyder miles, it is something I recommend every owner has installed on their machine. The reach out to Squared Away (a site sponsor) and get that done, you won't even have to steer anymore, but you will want too.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Does it affect ride quality?
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Does it affect ride quality?
    Hell yes! When one spends well into five figures to purchase a machine we hope to get the most fun and performance out of and then quibbles about what is really chump change in the grand scheme of things, it's like worrying about a dog bite on the leg when you're dying from a bullet in the brain.

When we see many, many, many serious owner postings about how installing a Bajaron sway bar and having a very competently done laser alignment made absolutely no difference in the way their Spyders performed it might be time to consider whether or not the additional investments were worth the cost. Based on what I've seen in the years I've been participating in SL, I'm not going to hold my breath awaiting all those yet to arrive postings.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    When we see many, many, many serious owner postings about how installing a Bajaron sway bar and having a very competently done laser alignment made absolutely no difference in the way their Spyders performed it might be time to consider whether or not the additional investments were worth the cost. Based on what I've seen in the years I've been participating in SL, I'm not going to hold my breath awaiting all those yet to arrive postings.
    One reason you won't find serious owner postings about how the Bajaron sway bar and laser alignment made no difference is this: For many of us, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm happy with the handling of my completely stock, completely factory aligned Spyder, so I don't bother to put on the Bajaron sway bar or have a laser alignment. My Spyder is like a little sports car, which is why I bought it. It's very enjoyable doing on-ramps and doing turns as it is, but I'm not going to be going much faster than I already do because I'm fast enough already. Even if my Spyder handled 50% better, it wouldn't really mean that much to me. It's kind of like putting a superior sway bar on a ZR1 Corvette. Yeah, it'll increase the skid pad g-force from 1.18 to 1.19, but if I don't ever go on a skid pad, that isn't much use to me. If ever I have a problem, I probably will and at that point maybe I will note a difference. But you wanted to know why there are no posts saying why the Bajaron sway bar and laser alignment made no difference, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the reason why.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    One reason you won't find serious owner postings about how the Bajaron sway bar and laser alignment made no difference is this: For many of us, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm happy with the handling of my completely stock, completely factory aligned Spyder, so I don't bother to put on the Bajaron sway bar or have a laser alignment. My Spyder is like a little sports car, which is why I bought it. It's very enjoyable doing on-ramps and doing turns as it is, but I'm not going to be going much faster than I already do because I'm fast enough already. Even if my Spyder handled 50% better, it wouldn't really mean that much to me. It's kind of like putting a superior sway bar on a ZR1 Corvette. Yeah, it'll increase the skid pad g-force from 1.18 to 1.19, but if I don't ever go on a skid pad, that isn't much use to me. If ever I have a problem, I probably will and at that point maybe I will note a difference. But you wanted to know why there are no posts saying why the Bajaron sway bar and laser alignment made no difference, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the reason why.
    That’s what they all say until you have an alignment and add a sway bar.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yep you will never experience the difference! And that is fine for you. Enjoy! But you could be enjoying it more.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am one of those guys that tend to push things to their limits. I often ride in the NC/Tenn. mountains and have yet to have anyone at the spyder events or otherwise to pull away, or even keep up with me when I had my 2014 RT or my current 2016 F3T. I have been wondering about the sway bar, and will possibly add one in the future, but that is not too high on my list. The best improvement that I ever made was just putting on good tires, and riding the crap out of it. Next time I am in the NC mountains and someone with an upgraded sway bar wants to try to keep up, let me know
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am one of those guys that tend to push things to their limits. I often ride in the NC/Tenn. mountains and have yet to have anyone at the spyder events or otherwise to pull away, or even keep up with me when I had my 2014 RT or my current 2016 F3T. I have been wondering about the sway bar, and will possibly add one in the future, but that is not too high on my list. The best improvement that I ever made was just putting on good tires, and riding the crap out of it. Next time I am in the NC mountains and someone with an upgraded sway bar wants to try to keep up, let me know
    You would not be able to keep up with yourself, if you had the Swaybar. I will say the F3L (same as your T) is set up pretty nice right out of the crate, and I didn't put one on for two years, when I did it made a pretty significant difference especially on very tight turns. So the difference is not as marked as you feel with the RT as there is very little body roll on the F3L and T.

Spyder Garage

Point well made. I do push my Spyder frequently in the mountains and enjoy the reduced body roll of the heavier sway bar. And for me the straight line stability in very stiff crosswinds and around semis on the Interstates also was worth the investment.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

When I ask about ride quality, I'm more referring to harshness. I've seen times when a heavier roll bar will make the ride harder.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Wahrsuul, (& anyone else interested!) there's no increase in ride harshness with the BajaRon Swaybar, but there is a fairly significant increase in ryder enjoyment!!

If you don't believe the people in this thread, just do a bit of searching to see for yourself how many ryders here & on other forums say they see no reason to make the change, they are perfectly happy with their Spyders as they are! And then see how many of those have actually ended upgrading; there's actually quite a few who are initially adamant that their Spyder is fine & handles great...... then for whatever reason they finally fit a BajaRon Swaybar, and lo & behold, almost unanimously they kick themselves for not doing it sooner!

I guess it's just one of those things where some don't/won't/can't realise how much better their Spyders could be until they actually do it! I know I was one; I was positive that after tossing the crappy Kendas, putting some real tires on, & getting a proper wheel alignment, my Spyder handled really well, & I too had a lot of fun pushing (& passing!) the unbelieving 2 wheel riders who couldn't believe that Spyders were a whole lot better on the winding Hills roads than they ever dreamt possible.... then the placcy links on my RT gave up, & it only made sense to me to fit the upgrade bar while I was under there changing over to the metal links. So I did, and wasn't I surprised!! Even just tooling around the block on a 'check to make sure you haven't missed something' ride my Spyder felt different - more planted, less wallow thru the corners, wallow that was hardly noticeable before, but now that it was gone, my Spyder rode markedly better different!! And bleedin'eck, that improvement was nothing compared to how much better my Spyder now behaved in & thru the twisties, especially on the loose changing surfaces & pot holed corners that are so numerous on many of our roads around here! So I too joined the growing number of Spyder Ryders kicking themselves for not listening & upgrading my swaybar earlier!!

So maybe you are perfectly happy with your Spyder's ride & handling now, and if that's the case, there's no pressing reason for you to fit a better swaybar.... there again, maybe if you did, you too might just join the ranks of those amongst us who would kick themselves for not doing it sooner if only they could!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I wasn't disagreeing, I'm still doing research and looking for a Spyder. More info is usually better.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I Spyderman

one thing you do not talk about, is that the smooth ride on the road dent is the same ???

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

When we bought our Spyder in 2016 it came with lots of upgrades from the former owner. Some I really liked some not so much. It had elka stage 2 shocks on the front and not knowing any different I really liked the way it rode and drove. Last spring they started to leak so I got them rebuilt. wanting to ride I put the stock shocks on they were brand new never been on the bike. Wow what a different ride and handling. If they had been on the bike when we took it for a test drive I probable would not have bought it. It really scared me. The steering was lousy it would dip and dive while braking and cornering. With Grace on back it was even worse and she said she noticed the difference as well. I cannot speak for the BajaRon Swaybar maybe it has one but I don't know for sure but I do know the Elka shocks make it really nice to drive and a feeling of confidence when riding. I am not an aggresive drive I might do somethings once finding out what the spyder can do or what I can do and feel comfortable. I like to drive 60 mph or a little better. I don't like to be in a rush or speed to much because I like to be on the bike the faster I go the sooner the fun is over.

Spyder Garage

As with oil, this debate shows no signs of abating. My opinion is understandably tainted since I design and sell the BajaRon sway bar kits. People have strong opinions on both sides. Even those who have never tried one of my bar kits. Not a problem. It's all just part of the experience.

My quest is to give out as much honest information as I can. An informed customer is always in both our best interests.

Here is just one thread on this subject which not only got very interesting. It pretty much covers the gambit of responses I've gotten over the years. For those on the fence, it may prove good reading. If you want to condense your reading, skip to the posts from Road Kill and myself.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...light=kool-aid

Though I always appreciate feedback. Customer's opinions are always freely given. I certainly do not coerce anyone. And though I always encourage private feedback, I never request or pressure anyone to post public feedback on my products. An honest opinion, good or bad, is very important to me.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-19-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...