Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Hope BRP are reading our threads and listens (WAKE UP BRP REPRESENTATIVES)

I hope BRP Representatives are on board with us and reading some of our threads! My 2018 F3 Limited , costing in the $25,000 and above range, is on it's third control module on the left handle bar in 6 months or less. It only has 1800 miles on it, and has been in the Dealer's shop for the past two weeks again! We need a new supplier to build this part for BRP, because once the warranty runs out, there is no way the customers can afford to replace this module! I just picked up my Spyder two days ago and everything seems to be working fine for now! But what about my next trip on it? The Dealers are trying to work with defected parts to repair these expensive toys! I have owned three of these Spyders and will question every buying another one! BRP, you know Spyder's 2018 up with the new BRP connect and the new control modules on both handle bars are having problems all over the world, why are you not doing something to replace these defective parts and make your product dependable? We didn't have any problems with the 2017 model year and down modules! (I owned a 2013 RTL and a 2016 RTL)! Wake up and give your customers and Dealers some quality parts to repair these problems areas!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’d duggest you contact BRPCare via email.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I’d duggest you contact BRPCare via email.
    BRP Care does check out what is going on periodically, but you need to contact them directly in order for your voice to be heard by them.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

As one who is new to Spyders (i have less than 50 miles on mine) I have become very concerned about all the failures and other troubles with them I have been reading about here and seeing on YouTube.
    I just graduated from being on two wheels for 67 yeas with few to no problems on each bike. My last one was a 2010 Victory Cross Roads that gave me zero problems and easy to perform maintenance on. Those on the Victory forum had the same good experience with very few exceptions.
    If Polaris can do that with a similarly low volume vehicle, what's the big problem up there in Canada? Have they not heard of Quality Control?
    Yes, I too hope BRP is lurking here and is hard at work correcting their wrongs.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    As one who is new to Spyders (i have less than 50 miles on mine) I have become very concerned about all the failures and other troubles with them I have been reading about here and seeing on YouTube.
    Ride more. Worry less.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I just graduated from being on two wheels for 67 yeas with few to no problems on each bike. My last one was a 2010 Victory Cross Roads that gave me zero problems and easy to perform maintenance on. Those on the Victory forum had the same good experience with very few exceptions.
    If Polaris can do that with a similarly low volume vehicle, what's the big problem up there in Canada? Have they not heard of Quality Control?
    Yes, I too hope BRP is lurking here and is hard at work correcting their wrongs.
    Polaris gave up on Victory because it was unprofitable. Surely you are not suggesting BRP follow that lead....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Polaris gave up on Victory because it was unprofitable. Surely you are not suggesting BRP follow that lead....
    Not at all JC. It's the Quality Control lead I want them to follow and so do others here.
    BTW, I am selling my Victory to a dear and close buddy as that's how much confidence I have in that machine. He tends to keep vehicles a long time - as do I - and I know it will give him years and maybe decades of great service. But now I am concerned about my Spyder doing the same for me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

If one has what one considers an unreasonable problem with a Spyder, as Ann said, one of the best routes is to contact BRP Care directly, brp.care @brp.com. If one keeps a polite tongue, explains the situation in a 100% professional manner and also mentions that one is trying to help BRP with a problem in a particular model of Spyder, one will usually get a prompt reply. Remember too that anytime a manufacturer introduces a new model of whatever, the first bunch off the assembly line may have problems. Very unfortunately, happens.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

While I'd feel the same way as you if I were in your situation, I don't think you can generalize that all Spyders are defective or that all Victory motorcycles are reliable. I haven't had any trouble with my 2017 RT, and I'm sure there are dozens if not hundreds of other members here who have NOT had any trouble - but if you're not having trouble, you don't normally post in a forum to say that. It would be a pretty boring forum if everybody posted, "Yep, another great year with no problems." These forums exist for people to share the problems they have. That being so, every forum like this one will make you think the product being discussed in that forum is just absolute garbage.

In your case, it seems to be an electronics issue. I doubt BRP makes their own electronics module. Maybe their supplier is having a problem. Or maybe it's random. Regardless, I doubt there is much BRP can do about it, especially in the short run. Also, my experience is that modern electronics fail at an extraordinarily high rate no matter what they're installed in and most frequently the failure is when they're new. I myself had radios fail in three separate Ford vehicles, in each case right after the warranty ran out. What are the odds of that? Dunno, but I wasn't very happy about it. The failures concerned me enough that when I bought my last (non-Ford!) new car, I made sure I bought an extended warranty on it that would cover all the electronics.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was concerned after being here a while as well. In fact I delayed buy a Spyder based on the stuff I was reading here. Having owned a Spyder for 6 years now I can say that its been 90% trouble free and I think most of the "stuff" you read here is people worrying about nothing. As an example, some people here say riding on dirt roads is the kiss of death for belts. I live on and ride on many dirt roads around me and have had zero issues doing it. I typically don't pay attention to whats going on here now. It just puts doubts in your mind. I ride instead and have more fun Do some people have problems...absolutely but I think that is the exception rather than the norm.
    My Spyder has never left me stranded, any issues have been very minor and taken care of by BRP. I had more mechanical issues with my Harley I owned for 10 yrs than my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I have now had five different Spyders since 2008. Over 145,000 combined miles. No major issues.

This is from the other side of the scene. Not all have had problems.

The advice is good to speak directly with BRP. Threats (veiled or not) have never been the way to get a problem solved.

Three of the same problems in a row? I would be suspect of the mechanical abilities of the dealer. Just my .02 for now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As one who has suffered the troubles of a failed handle bar control assembly, I echo what has been stated above. Although BRP does troll this site, #1 call customer care - you stated that your trike is under warranty and that means the dealer is going to BRP for the warranty parts. BRP has some level of awareness, albeit maybe just an electronic paper trail for the parts. When calling Customer Care specifically ask about "the warranty for the newly installed control module. Does the warranty on that part run out when the manufactures warranty expires?"
    I asked these questions of BRP and my dealer - the response that I got from my dealer was that if this module fails within the next 24 months , we will replace it free of charge. That was not the BRP answer. It is my belief that when a part is replaced under warranty, that new part should have some guarantee with it.

With the current failure rate of the control modules across model years BRP and its associated manufacturing partners worldwide need to make better parts ... period. When the left control module died on my 2018 RT, its first noticeable problem was the ability to downshift manually - followed shortly by other glitches. The final post-mortem on the part put the failure down to poor manufacture waterproofing. Months later I was told that they had replaced multiple modules for the same reason - poor manufacturing standards / quality control.

Anyway - Call Customer Care - I have had decent experience with them.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I apologize for over reacting. I'm aware that for every Spyder / Harley owner having problems, there are many out there experiencing next to none. I got influenced by all the gory details I've been reading about and should have put them into a proper perspective.
    Keep Calm and Carry On! Eh wot!
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-07-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

I apologize for over reacting. I'm aware that for every Spyder / Harley owner having problems, there are many out there experiencing next to none. I got influenced by all the gory details I've been reading about and should have put them into a proper perspective.
    Keep Calm and Carry On! Eh wot!
    No problem. Unfortunately, problems and complaints are usually registered on a 10/1 or more basis. Being a site like SL, we tend to hear more of the bad stuff in relation to the good.

Those with no problems are usually not very vocal or here on a daily basis. Typical.

If I were to take reviews to heart, I would have never purchased a Spyder when they first came out. Some of the reviews, from the major cycle magazines, are laughable if you read them now. People's first impressions were not good because the Spyder was a whole different new concept. They were not supposed to handle like a two wheeler...and they still don't. As far as mechanical's go, there are bad ones out there. That does not mean the whole line is bad.

Sorry for the edit in your original post. Punched the wrong button. Your original post has not changed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus Aranea View Post
    With the current failure rate of the control modules across model years BRP and its associated manufacturing partners worldwide need to make better parts ... period.
    Please tell us - what is the 'current failure rate of the control modules across model years'? I would like to know.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There is a .508905342 % chance that you are going to agree with the statistics.

Worth looking at and considering...but please don't go to off topic from the original intent of the OP.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks AK ... Pete I was told that somewhere in the 7 - 12 % range is the replacement / failure rate for the handle bar control modules. A figure that is too high for a multi-function switch on a motor vehicle of any type. If it were your blinkers in your Class A or GMC, you'd have a recall.

And now back to the " Just Call Customer Care" ... cause they already have the info via your dealer ... and they are decent about warranty issues (ryder experiences may vary).
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    ..but please don't go to off topic from the original intent of the OP.
    I honestly think this is in keeping with the OP's original intent, which is to criticize BRP for the unacceptably high level of failures with the handlebar control module.

Shouldn't someone explain where these serious claims are coming from? To me, they seem unsupportable given what I have seen on here in over two years of active involvement.

Remember, there are newbies on here who get all worried, sometimes unnecessarily, by these negative threads, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks AK ... Pete I was told that somewhere in the 7 - 12 % range is the replacement / failure rate for the handle bar control modules. A figure that is too high for a multi-function switch on a motor vehicle of any type. If it were your blinkers in your Class A or GMC, you'd have a recall.

And now back to the " Just Call Customer Care" ... cause they already have the info via your dealer ... and they are decent about warranty issues (ryder experiences may vary).
    Thanks PA. Is your source a reliable, unbiased one?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The last I heard is that federal law states that is a vehicle has a 1.5% failure rate on a part that is considered a safety function, that generates a recall.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The last I heard is that federal law states that is a vehicle has a 1.5% failure rate on a part that is considered a safety function, that generates a recall.
    I didn't know that. Maybe motorcycles are exempt, as they are from a lot of the regulations on passenger cars. No seat belts, air bags, rollover protection, etc.

Sorry AK, this is a little off-topic and I won't pursue it further.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I didn't know that. Maybe motorcycles are exempt, as they are from a lot of the regulations on passenger cars. No seat belts, air bags, rollover protection, etc.

Sorry AK, this is a little off-topic and I won't pursue it further.
    Don't worry about the off topic stuff so far. I just did not want it to take a large side bar and be discussing something way, way, off....like sometimes happens. So far, no harm, no foul IMO. No one is looking to shut anything down.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Guys, thanks for all your positive and negative comments! Please remember, I am on my third Spyder (2013 RTL and a 2016 RTL) and now a 2018 F3 Limited! We are not discussing all the good years we have had with Spyders, we are discussing only the 2018 year when they changed the control modules on the handle bars!!! As some of you have stated, I am not the only one having problems with the 2018 year and 2019 year control modules! I am on my third module in less than 6 months with 1800 miles! If you bought a new truck or car and had the steering wheel controls go out twice in the first 6 months, I assure you that you would be wishing that the manufacture of that brand would work on a new supplier for that part! I didn't intend for this to be a Spyder bashing, just hope BRP would read my comments and work to make our Spyder's more dependable for us to enjoy! I love my Spyder, but we are in tenth place on reliability, so let all work together to help BRP correct the defects and become number one! The Spyder is by far the best riding trike out there! Thank you, and please don't bash everyone's opinion! Thanks

Spyder Garage

Pete - source has been very reliable to date. The way that I actually got to the information was through a very heated exchange over the failure of the left hand control module on my RT, the subsequent dealing with BRP and the long round-and-round that followed. I told him that if he was a representative of a "BRP platinum certified dealer" I made a huge mistake buying this vehicle. To his credit, he did everything in his power to change my viewpoint about the dealership, service and BRP. Part of that was sharing some background info on 'why it took so long to replace my control module' and 'why it wasn't readily available'. Seems to be something about supply and demand between manufacturing and repair / maintenance.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete - source has been very reliable to date. The way that I actually got to the information was through a very heated exchange over the failure of the left hand control module on my RT, the subsequent dealing with BRP and the long round-and-round that followed. I told him that if he was a representative of a "BRP platinum certified dealer" I made a huge mistake buying this vehicle. To his credit, he did everything in his power to change my viewpoint about the dealership, service and BRP. Part of that was sharing some background info on 'why it took so long to replace my control module' and 'why it wasn't readily available'. Seems to be something about supply and demand between manufacturing and repair / maintenance.
    PA, now THAT is what I like to see on this forum. An informed opinion. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum