Thread: Limp Mode?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode?

So, just curious, did a search for 'limp mode', and nothing of significance popped up; so my question, when the Spyder goes into 'limp mode', does it just quit until the problem is resolved?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had two limp mode happenings.... The first after owning my 2011 RT a few days it went into limp mode. I was not sure what to do. I was running around 30-35 mph as it reduced my speed. I went into a gas station and went in to use the rest room. When I came back, it started up and ran as usual. I was told that walking away from the scoot with the key in my pocket cleared the problem. Later the dealer checked it out and I had been riding the brake....lesson learned.....

The second time when it went to limp mode, a sensor went out in my power steering.....replaced and away I went......after riding 50 miles to my dealer @ 35 mph.....

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Yep it will allow you to continue, but your top speed will be around 30 to 35 mph. Worst time for me is when that happened last year on the ride home from Spyderfest at around 450 miles from home. That was an interesting two days to get both me and the F3 home!

Still better than the DESS error that will not allow you to start the Spyder!!!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Limp mode is there to protect us from doing more damage to the Spyder if ridden.

They always show up at a bad time. On Spyders...limp modes seem to limit speed to 20 - 30 mph. On the Rykers...I am hearing 55 mph.

Happily, my only experience with such was riding the brake with new boots on (2010). So far, no additional problems here.

Let us know what you find out on yours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, answers I was looking for, 'limp mode' means exactly that, rider can 'limp' to help. Apparently the dreaded DESS will leave you stopped and stranded.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your speed is not limited but your RPMs are. There is also a passive limp mode on the 1330 that doesn’t even limit rpm.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

There are 3 Limp Home modes.

If the fault is engine based and does not impair safety. Then the rpm is limited.
    If the fault is safety related, brake, steering, etc. Then the speed is limited.
    If the fault could cause more vehicle damage and may impair safety. Then both the rpm and speed are limited.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

My Ryker had a Limp Mode/ VSS and the rpms were held to a slow accelerating 5,200 which equaled 55 mph on a flat road.
    If it had been a engine malfunction maybe it would be a lot less- Someone will find out sooner or later on the Ryker.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Thanks, answers I was looking for, 'limp mode' means exactly that, rider can 'limp' to help. Apparently the dreaded DESS will leave you stopped and stranded.
    Fortunately there seem to be fewer DESS instances popping up on the board these days. I will say my module was just replaced on my ‘15 RTL though.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    My Ryker had a Limp Mode/ VSS and the rpms were held to a slow accelerating 5,200 which equaled 55 mph on a flat road.
    If it had been a engine malfunction maybe it would be a lot less- Someone will find out sooner or later on the Ryker.
    Unfortunately, I had a Yaw Sensor go out on my Ryker 600 (since been fixed). It went into Limp Home mode and the best speed I could get was 41 mph.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

I started out today for the first time of the season and my bike went into "limp mode". It started fine but when i got out onto the road it started running "rough". I turned around and went home. When i put it up for the season I filled up tank and added Seafoam accordingly and had a tender on it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Pull the error code for additional help. I'm not sure what model you have but on my 2017 F3-S the sequence was with the bike turned on, push mode, set, and the blinker release buttons at the same time.
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

There should be a code for what is causing the limp mode. It will tell you more

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights