Spyder Garage

Default brp back rest fitting

does any one know if the brp back rest made for the 1330 model rt will fit onto a pre 1330 seat.do they have the moulded cover over the hole where the seat pins would slide through.or are they cut to allow it to fit.and does the back rest slide into the under part mount of the seat.
    thanks for help everyone.
    stu

Spyder Garage

I do not believe the BRP backrest will work with the 2013 and prior seat. You can get an aftermarket backrest, Utopia for example.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

But aren't ALL the standard RT seats interchangeable?

Certainly the pre 2014 RT & 2014 on up to 2017 RT seats & backrests appear to be identical, so the standard BRP backrests should fit any standard RT seat (but not the optional Comfort seat) altho you do need to get the bracket & fixings for the seat pan that matches the backrest you get (they should be sold together!); and you will need to cut the 2013 & earlier cover & foam etc because they didn't come fromthe factory with the backrest slot built in.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But aren't ALL the standard RT seats interchangeable?

Certainly the pre 2014 RT & 2014 on up to 2017 RT seats & backrests appear to be identical, so the standard BRP backrests should fit any standard RT seat (but not the optional Comfort seat) altho you do need to get the bracket & fixings for the seat pan that matches the backrest you get (they should be sold together!); and you will need to cut the 2013 & earlier cover & foam etc because they didn't come fromthe factory with the backrest slot built in.
    If my memory serves me here …. Not ALL BRP seats had or can have backrest from BRP ….. I think prior to 2014 it wasn't offered by BRP ….. I could be mistaken on this …………. Mike

Spyder Garage

From the BRP website to purchase an adjustable backrest it lists:
    Compatibility
    Spyder RT 2014 and up, RT 2013 and prior with 2014 and up production seats
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    From the BRP website to purchase an adjustable backrest it lists:
    Compatibility
    Spyder RT 2014 and up, RT 2013 and prior with 2014 and up production seats
    so now im confused,but that doesnt take much.so if your 2013 and prior has been retro fitted with a 2014 and later seat it can fit,but if its still got the original 2013 and prior seat then no it wont fit.did i get that right guys.

Spyder Garage

The adjustable backrest is a different thing again - it requires a different bracket under the seat to the standard backrests, altho there's a retro-fit bracket assy available, but I think you hafta have a bracket & a backrest in order for that to be of any use.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    so now im confused,but that doesnt take much.so if your 2013 and prior has been retro fitted with a 2014 and later seat it can fit,but if its still got the original 2013 and prior seat then no it wont fit.did i get that right guys.
    What BRP - MEANS , is in 2014 BRP … ADDED a backrest to their list of parts …… 2010 to 2013 - RT seats had NO OEM backrest … Utopia makes ( I think ) the best most adjustable backrest in the industry …. I have owned 1/2 dozen of them for various Bikes including the Spyders …. If you want the Best get a Utopia - they have them for ALL Spyder RT's ….....and they are a bargain compared to BRP's ……. hope this helps you …. Mike ……..PS, I just double checked the parts Fiches' for the 13 and 14 RT seats ….. the numbers are different , AND the pics of the seats are very different …. the 14 shows the backrest mounting HOLE - the 13 doesn't have it …..

Spyder Garage

thanks guys very helpfull as always on this site.

Spyder Garage

If you remove the Utopia does it leave hardware exposed? The BRP does have a slick removal process but I don't think it is as comfortable as the Show Chrome rest I had on my 2012 RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    If you remove the Utopia does it leave hardware exposed? The BRP does have a slick removal process but I don't think it is as comfortable as the Show Chrome rest I had on my 2012 RT.
    Utopia sells ( or did sell ) their backrests with TWO types of bracket attachments …. a reg. and one called " an Easy Out ", the E.O. model had a metal bar that slid into the main bracket that attached to the seat Pan..... it appeared to be low enough that you could actually cover the hole with the OEM plastic piece that was removed to do the backrest ….. I used to make the lower bracket, and bought the Pads on E-bay and then re-sold the entire unit …… you can go to the " Utopia web site " and see pics of what I described ….. Mike