Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Rally vs 900 ACE

Hey gang.
    Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on a new Ryker. Been on 2 wheels forever, and not getting out of that, but these seem like a blast.

I'm swinging between the 900 and the Rally. Mostly considering the rally because it will likely be used 2-up for 25-50% of the time, and the fact that it already comes with the Max Mount and has the better suspension make it seem like it may be the wiser choice.

Aesthetically I actually prefer the 900 (like the blacked out wheels, full fenders, and less "bling"), but am more concerned about functionality than looks.

That said, I'm actually a bit torn on which would be better for 2 up riding and welcome any opinions. Clearly the suspension is a win, but the tires on the regular 900 seem more sport oriented which is more my style, etc..

Please share any thoughts, riding will be on paved roads, mostly backroads / mountains with some highway.

Spyder Garage

I am with you. I chose the Rally and I am very happy with it. But I prefer the wheels, tires and rear wheel size on the 900. I don't plan on 'Off-Roading' my Rally. But the better suspension is very nice and it isn't like I hate the wheels/tires. So, like you, I leaned towards functionality over looks. Of course you can get the 900 and swap out suspension, just like I could swap out wheels/tires.

Not sure I would pick a Ryker for most of the time 2-up unless both of you are on the small/trim side. I think I'd be looking at, at least, an F3 for that.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Small and trim may be ambitious, but I'm 5'8 about 165, she's a bit shorter and about 130-140 so I'd certainly hope it would handle us without too much concern.

Probably won't be many high mileage excursions, so more spirited sport runs than "touring" if that makes sense.

Spyder Garage

I had the same "Problem" like you but I love the Design of the 16" wheels of the 900 - took it with the FOX shock on the back and the max-Mount - the shock seems to be better (and more expensive) than the Rally-shock - also a TOYO-tire and and the two cases / windshield
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Same situation with myself. I chose the 900 for the looks also. I plan on adjusting the spring tension depending on riding single or double. The regular shock/spring should be easier to change as it is a cam style adjustment.
    2019 F3S , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks gang. Really thought this would be an easy decision, but it seems that Can-Am did make a few things a little quirky.

Rally edition for off road(but not really off road) which seems to be beefier, but according to the manual has a slightly lower carrying capacity...

Not sure of what actually makes the Rally sit taller, primarily the wheel / tire combo, shock length, or actual shock travel...

At first the Rally seemed like a no brainer (for occasional 2-up) given fully adjustable shocks, etc but its really hard to tell at this point.

My gut is back to telling me to go with the 900, and consider upgrading to the Fox the shock if needed. More sport minded set-up (tire selection, lower center of gravity, etc..), and oddly a higher rated carrying capacity. Plus I do prefer the look, but that won't be the deciding factor either way.

Where it gets dodgy reading through the details is the mild recommendation to consider the upgraded shock for the 900 for a lot of 2-up riding where the Rally doesn't seem to have any similar notes. Strange...

I suppose this is also something for consideration:

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...ar-spring.html

Spyder Garage

I went through the same dilemma. Ended up ordering the 900 with upgraded spring for 2-up with my 14 year old daughter (max mount, passenger folding seat as well). I really dislike the wheels and fender gap on the Rally and figured it would be easier (and more than likely cheaper) to upgrade the suspension later on (NOT with the Fox shocks) than to get new wheels. I really love the wheels and fender on the regular models, so it really was a no brainer for me.

I'm massively tall at 5'4", 140 lbs, with daughter being 5'2" and around 95 lbs, so were good in regards to weight haha.

Whichever way you go, you'll have a blast. Good luck with the decision!!!
    2019 900 ACE , Black

Spyder Garage

Out of curiosity, why not the Fox shocks / do you have an alternative in mind (or do you just mean the stiffer spring)?

Going to place a deposit on one of the two tomorrow / shoot to pick up Saturday and am still flip flopping as whether it will be the 900 or Rally.

I'm actually starting to lean a little back to the Rally since the price difference is pretty negligible (even more so when you consider it comes with the Max Mount that I'll be getting either way).

Beyond anything else, the extra clearance and rear shock travel seem like big wins for my use case regardless of the fact that I prefer the more "blacked out" appearance of the 900.

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeRyker View Post
    I went through the same dilemma. Ended up ordering the 900 with upgraded spring for 2-up with my 14 year old daughter (max mount, passenger folding seat as well). I really dislike the wheels and fender gap on the Rally and figured it would be easier (and more than likely cheaper) to upgrade the suspension later on (NOT with the Fox shocks) than to get new wheels. I really love the wheels and fender on the regular models, so it really was a no brainer for me.

I'm massively tall at 5'4", 140 lbs, with daughter being 5'2" and around 95 lbs, so were good in regards to weight haha.

Whichever way you go, you'll have a blast. Good luck with the decision!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker2112 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why not the Fox shocks / do you have an alternative in mind (or do you just mean the stiffer spring)?

Going to place a deposit on one of the two tomorrow / shoot to pick up Saturday and am still flip flopping as whether it will be the 900 or Rally.

I'm actually starting to lean a little back to the Rally since the price difference is pretty negligible (even more so when you consider it comes with the Max Mount that I'll be getting either way).

Beyond anything else, the extra clearance and rear shock travel seem like big wins for my use case regardless of the fact that I prefer the more "blacked out" appearance of the 900.
    I was going back and forth like you are- I ordered the 900 and then changed my mind after sitting on the Rally seat which is better than the 900 and Realizing I would have to buy the Silver piece under the radiator and the 2 Silver pieces behind the wheels and The Better Shocks and More durable tires and Hand Guards and So forth and All of A Sudden the Wheels started to look Better and Better??? Hard decision?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I can get over the wheels and silver bits, I'm just really torn on performance. Will the lower profile tires perform better in the twisties despite the lesser shocks? Or is handling virtually the same between the two (when riding aggressively) despite the more rugged / higher profile tires on the Rally, etc...

Clearly either can be tweaked, but I'm not really looking for a project. Looking for more riding / less tuning & tinkering from this particular machine.

If I had the patience of a grown adult to wait for some more real world feedback from anyone who has put both through the paces things would probably be much clearer.

Thankfully I have the willpower and patience of a small child.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I was going back and forth like you are- I ordered the 900 and then changed my mind after sitting on the Rally seat which is better than the 900 and Realizing I would have to buy the Silver piece under the radiator and the 2 Silver pieces behind the wheels and The Better Shocks and More durable tires and Hand Guards and So forth and All of A Sudden the Wheels started to look Better and Better??? Hard decision?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would be willing to bet some serious coin that 9 out of 10 riders could not tell the difference in HANDLING between the 900 and Rally on a twisty road with both completely stock. Personally I would go with the Rally only because of the other differences.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

You would say that, just as I had pretty much finalized my decision to go with the 900.

When you say the "other differences" I assume you mean ride height / shocks as opposed to appearance?

The most "off road" mine will likely see is a few dirt driveways and possibly grass parking lots of perhaps a few local wineries / similar just for context on that side.

Interesting to see that the opinions in this thread are pretty much split, at least that makes me feel a little better about having difficulty with this decision.

As I see things, here is the real pro / con list for each, anyone can feel free to keep me honest. For the sake of discussion, lets take cost out of it as I'm not really taking that into the decision.

- Slightly higher carrying weight (which is still a surprise to me, and is a consideration given I will be 2-up and with the Shad bag at times)
    - More performance minded tires & lower center of gravity "may" mean better handling for aggressive mountain roads
    - Prefer the blacked out appearance, but willing to put looks aside

Rally
    - Adjustable and "potentially" better performing shocks though I haven't really been able to find anyone who has put both through the paces back to back to confirm impact on handling
    - Lower carrying weight, but no spring change recommended for 2-up riding
    - Higher profile / more "all season" style tires - May or may not impact aggressive on road performance, good for occasional light off road (which in my use case would be minimal)
    - Slightly better ground clearance
    - Don't really care for the wheels, or scattered silver bits. No preference either way on the hand guards

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    I would be willing to bet some serious coin that 9 out of 10 riders could not tell the difference in HANDLING between the 900 and Rally on a twisty road with both completely stock. Personally I would go with the Rally only because of the other differences.

Spyder Garage

To me, the Fox shocks are ridiculously expensive. Hoping for Elka stage 2 rear, which on Spyders are $200 less than Fox.

Either way you go though, I'm sure you'll be extremely happy!
    2019 900 ACE , Black

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I'm sure the aftermarket will be stepping up in more ways than one as we get into summer given the rate at which these seem to be selling.

And yes, I'm confident I'll end up happy on either machines. First world problems with a decision like this to be sure...

Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeRyker View Post
    To me, the Fox shocks are ridiculously expensive. Hoping for Elka stage 2 rear, which on Spyders are $200 less than Fox.

Either way you go though, I'm sure you'll be extremely happy!

Spyder Garage

In this review the writer stated that she found the standard 900 model to be faster in the technical corners than the rally model and attributed it to the difference in tires. https://ridermagazine.com/2018/10/02...t-ride-review/
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yes, I did see that one (but couldn't find it again) and its one of the items I read that started me questioning my original decision on the Rally.

The specific quote:
    "Also notable was the fact that the standard Ryker, with its lower ride height and stickier street tires, was quicker on those technical roads than the Rally Edition. When pushed hard into a turn in Sport mode, the Rally’s “all-road” front tires had a tendency to break loose, sending me skittering across my lane with the dialed-back VSS sputtering to intervene at such a late juncture."

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    In this review the writer stated that she found the standard 900 model to be faster in the technical corners than the rally model and attributed it to the difference in tires. https://ridermagazine.com/2018/10/02...t-ride-review/

Spyder Garage

Fortunately the front tire size on the 900 ACE and Rally are the same (only the rear is different). I guess you could replace the Rally fronts with standard fronts for more stick. Automotive tires in Rally rear size also seem to be relatively available. I haven't pushed my Rally hard enough yet to make a difference.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Well, problem solved / deposit placed.

Went with the 900 ACE plus:
    - Max Mount
    - Passenger Seat
    - Side bag mount
    - Shad side bag
    - 2 Up Spring

They'll have it uncrated and built for me to pickup this weekend.

Thanks to all for jumping in with your thoughts, greatly appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good job! cueman

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mega dittos on the good job.

Congratulations, and now come on great riding season.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Amen to that, last summer was horrible with the amount of rain we got...

Saturday looks a bit sketchy here, but on the upside, its supposed to be hitting about 70 on Sunday and the dealer went above and beyond for me. Going to pay for it tomorrow night and he's opening the shop to let me pick it up on Sunday (they are about an hour from me, local dealer sucks). Now that's service!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ryker2112 View Post
    well, problem solved / deposit placed.

Went with the 900 ace plus:
    - max mount
    - passenger seat
    - side bag mount
    - shad side bag
    - 2 up spring

they'll have it uncrated and built for me to pickup this weekend.

Thanks to all for jumping in with your thoughts, greatly appreciated.
    Congratulations!!!!!!!
    2019 900 ACE , Black

Spyder Garage

Could it be that the Rally has a lower weight capacity because it comes stock with the max mount, hand guards, and upgraded suspension? Plus maybe the tires weigh more? Wondering once you add the accessories to the 900 you would end up with the same usable weight capacity.

Spyder Garage

Funny you should say that. When I spoke to the dealer he was also surprised by the stated numbers and we came back to the same guess, maybe the Rally just weights more with the extra bits.

Sure enough looking at the specs, the 900 ACE shows as 616 lbs where the Rally in stock for is 627. So.... Mystery solved indeed.. Bottom line is they are rated to the same total weights.

Quote Originally Posted by gskinner View Post
    Could it be that the Rally has a lower weight capacity because it comes stock with the max mount, hand guards, and upgraded suspension? Plus maybe the tires weigh more? Wondering once you add the accessories to the 900 you would end up with the same usable weight capacity.

Spyder Garage

Well, problem solved / deposit placed.

Went with the 900 ACE plus:
    - Max Mount
    - Passenger Seat
    - Side bag mount
    - Shad side bag
    - 2 Up Spring

They'll have it uncrated and built for me to pickup this weekend.

With all of that, what price point did it come in at?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-08-2019 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system